• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Even though it wont be around forever, it's games will not be forgotten"

I just watched a random youtube video about the death of the Wii eShop and their closing statement made me think - it's exactly how Nintendo views their games and consoles. "Even though it wont be around forever, it's games will not be forgotten". That's exactly how Nintendo view games and hardware. Nintendo knows it's consoles will not be around for ever, but Nintendo do not want the games forgotten - hence all the re-releases and such.

Just my views on this. Quite a few people I have spoken to don't realise this and claim one example (amongst many others) that the Switch ports are the death of the WiiU. That is missing Nintendo's point. Nintendo know consoles will not be around for ever. Things like Virtual Console and ports ensure the games are never forgotten and more generations of gamers get to play them.

QcFQOVmY_o.png

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
While I don't think this mentality is exclusive to Nintendo anymore in recent years, it does seem to me that Nintendo is famous for such an approach if the eShop is any indication dating back to the Wii. Although if I'm going to touch upon the elephant in the room in the form of the Wii U "sabotage" debate, I will say that even as far back as late 2013 I never got the impression that Nintendo was ever fully behind the Wii U. They saw the writing on the wall and perhaps wisely pushed their primary focus onto the 3DS and Switch development. During the Wii U's run, a part of me always felt a tad snubbed in this respect (with certain titles having dual releases and what not), but I digress. At this point it hardly matters given that the Wii U's run has been over for some time and that these rereleases make sense as to deliver very solid gaming experiences to a wider audience that never got to experience such titles. As such, this move quite fits the quote that you shared. The Wii U may have had an uninspiring run, but its games won't certainly be forgotten.

@Mido I think Nintendo were behind the WiiU, not fully, I agree with you there, but in a way to keep their WiiU customers happy. Also because it was too early to release the Switch. I think games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros WiiU tried to get more people to but a WiiU but by then the damage was already done and Nintendo had mostly moved on to Switch development. It's clear that many parts of what modern console should have (like VC, a proper eShop and others) are simply absent from the Switch. Nintendo had to cut them to get the Switch out the door. The WiiU by 2016 was dead and Nintendo had to move on. I really hope E3 this year talks about a proper VC.

I also agree with you that there were a few really good WiiU games that are slowly being ported to the Switch so they are not forgotten.

Mido

Version 1
@Mido I think Nintendo were behind the WiiU, not fully, I agree with you there, but in a way to keep their WiiU customers happy. Also because it was too early to release the Switch. I think games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros WiiU tried to get more people to but a WiiU but by then the damage was already done and Nintendo had mostly moved on to Switch development. It's clear that many parts of what modern console should have (like VC, a proper eShop and others) are simply absent from the Switch. Nintendo had to cut them to get the Switch out the door. The WiiU by 2016 was dead and Nintendo had to move on. I really hope E3 this year talks about a proper VC.

I also agree with you that there were a few really good WiiU games that are slowly being ported to the Switch so they are not forgotten.

I definitely see your point, especially considering (as far as my memory serves me) that Mario Kart 8 was one of, if not the highest-selling game in the console. In this respect, Nintendo did make some attempts to earnestly support the Wii U.

Call me a cynic (because you'd be right) but somehow I get the feeling they're motivated more by cheap and easy $$$ than by preservation.

I laughed a bit upon reading your post, but not because I think your point is laughable. Far from it, as I think your cynicism is well-placed in many respects. Nostalgia sells, and this is why I started laughing because I started to reflect upon my own go-rounds on social media pages for companies like Nintendo and how one can see numerous commenters clamoring over a potential or desired remake for this or that. The fun never ends! Noting this, I'm certainly not above the trend, owning a plethora of rereleases and remakes such as Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Pokémon Heartgold Version, Sonic Adventure DX, and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Perhaps it's true that money is the primary motivator, but money motivation sure helps preserve some of these games! :cool:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
It's true that the onslaught of remakes and remasters and rereleases serves a dual purpose - revenue and preservation - but it's pretty obvious that the motivation is entirely cynical. We wouldn't be getting all these remakes if they didn't sell or if fresh new stuff was selling better. And Hey! Look! Listen! Fresh new stuff is most certainly not selling because entertainers are clearly out of ideas and resting on laurels for so long has rendered them complacent. That, and they've worked really hard to destroy any competition that could produce fresh new ideas. (*glares at EA*)

If you look at many of the remakes and remasters and reboots out now - and not just for video games - it's pretty clear that it's anything that is even remotely likely to sell. And yeah, nostalgia is often the deciding factor in determining how much demand there is for this stuff, even if it can only sell to a niche audience. That's a pretty good indication that entertainers are creatively bankrupt.

That being said, it's high time preservation efforts get under way for video games. We're at a point when many games are at severe risk of being lost forever. Film preservation is serious business, but it's not a commercial one. Volunteers who actually care about preserving art are hard at work preserving and restoring film and they aren't in much of a position to make a profit off it. But the effort isn't nearly as extensive for video games. Few people even seem to be aware of the increasingly desperate need to preserve games.

That having been said, these remakes and rereleases still make games available that otherwise wouldn't be. Video games are in a unique position that old games don't easily transfer to new platforms. It's easy enough to print a movie on film as it is on compact disk or magnetic tape. It's a simple matter to convert a printed script into digital. But many games simply don't translate easily across hardware, which is their medium. But I have personally benefited from remakes and remasters of old games that I didn't have the chance to play when they first released. Since I never owned a Super Nintendo, I could only play Chrono Trigger for the first time when it released on the DS. I also got the chance to play Final Fantasy IX and Dark Cloud 2 for the first time on PS4 (even though I own a PS2, Dark Cloud was more readily available on 4). While I played the original release of Myst, I acknowledge that realMyst is an appropriate graphical upgrade of the original game that fully realizes the vision the creators of Myst had intended for it. I found Final Fantasy XII as it released originally insufferable to play even though I was really intrigued by a lot of things and really wanted to play it, and the tweaks the Zodiac version made finally made it enjoyable.

So yeah, there are uses for rereleasing games, even if the motivations are more on the cynical financial side. Nintendo markets its stuff almost entirely on nostalgia and name brands. I mean nostalgia is Nintendo's exclusive business, through and through. This is why they are so reticent to make new IPs. And I don't think this mentality comes out of respect for their IPs, since Nintendo is only ever willing to mutilate their franchises just so long as they can print a familiar name on the box. This is how Zelda gets turned into Wind Waker or Suckward or Zelda Creed: Far Cry of the Watch Dogs. And how Metroid gets turned into Federation Farce and Dumber M. Or Star Fox into The Legend of Krystal: Dinosaur Planet and Generic Multiplayer Arena Furry Shooter. Unfamiliar products with familiar names. If ninty was really in it out of respect for their entire library of games, the (S)NES Minis would have shipped with far more games than the select few they came with. As in, the system's entire libraries if nintendo really meant it.

And every second they spend rehashing the same old or just slapping a familiar name on a different package is time money and a complete lack of creativity spent not making new things.

Dan

I agree with everything castle said however he missed a key word that I couldn't find doing a control f on his post. PASSION.

I have stated many times in the past that my sixth sense is the ability to sense the passion that goes into every entity I see around me. Notice how many remakes are works that hailed from an era where video games were often experimental, but also built out of passion and joy from some guys garage. A garage produced game from 1992 for example would have a few sequels that would build and perfect the formula, this is often where publishers would come in and back up small developers. Present day and publishers don't want to wait for the next big thing and so now they continue trying to pump out a game based on a saturated formula for pure £££, or remake an old game made in the era of passion.

Thank **** for people that put time into building emulators.

Keep in mind that your statement only applies to games that are either physical only or both digital and physical. Digital only games will be lost to time if they are not emulated or released on newer systems after older online shops shut down. People have been compiling lists of games that are exclusive to WiiWare as legal ways to download quite a few games will be lost in just a few short days. I realize this is a bit of a tangent on the original post in this thread, but that's one of my worries in an increasingly digital future - I fear losing access to content and never having a way to play those games legally in the future. I know certain people work hard in emulating games, but PC emulation or Homebew on Nintendo consoles is not for me. For people like me who want to support the developers by buying their games, some of those games may be inaccessible to us forever after the Wii Shop Channel closes.

Quin

Disaster Master
Is buying it once not enough support for you?
I think a good 70% of my roms/ISO's are all games I bought once before already.
And its not like your supporting the devs of the old games anymore by buying Virtual console titles either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom