• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Error in the Hylian Religion

I've never thought about Hyrule having a religion. Because if they did, Nintendo would get a lot of complaints. Just see what they did with the Collector's Edition of OoT. They took out a symbol because it was vaguely similar to a religious one.

I think it is just coincidental.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
But Flat isn't from Hyrule, he is a Termanian citizen. And the religous systems of almost every religon has demons in it. Demons and devils are usually paired up unless you speak of Satan in the Christian religion.
Besides, he was probably referring to Majora.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Maybe he sold his soul to Majora. His ghost is found right next door to Stonetower Temple, what is believed to be a temple dedicated to praising Majora.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
i would assume that its referring to Majora who is pure evil and the antagonist of the game. for the record, the people in the game do have religion. they worship the goddesses (terminians worship the giants) and they have scriptures about ancient heroes who were chosen warriors by the goddesses or the triforce which was created by the goddesses. whatever that book is (the book of mudora or something) is pretty much like their bible, IMO

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
What's the book of Mudora?

And yes, Hylians worship the 3 Goddesses, Terminians worship the 4 Giants.
This is pretty prevalent in their architecture, if anything. Hyrulian architecture has many 3-sided figures and shapes in their buildings and decoration. Terminian architecture has many 4-sided figures and shapes. Just look around.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
What's the book of Mudora?

And yes, Hylians worship the 3 Goddesses, Terminians worship the 4 Giants.
This is pretty prevalent in their architecture, if anything. Hyrulian architecture has many 3-sided figures and shapes in their buildings and decoration. Terminian architecture has many 4-sided figures and shapes. Just look around.

The book of Mudora is an ancient book that contains Hylian history. It had writings of the goddesses and of the many things that have happened over the years. It also doubles as a translator.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Hyrule does have its own religion. The religion mainly orbits around the goddesses and the Triforce. This is known, for in many parts of the games, people are praying to the gods. It is also known that Hyrule also has its own version of the creation. However, Hyrule and Termina are two entirely different regions and religions.

Termina has the belief of four stone giants. The giants were perhaps a member of Termina's religion, but religion is very absent in Termina. In example, there are no true temples of worship, only dungeons and large facilities, not places that people have been known to pilgrimage and pay respects to the goddesses. Majora could possibly be the anti-god of Termina, even though the Hyrulian religion has not much for evil powers.

Now, Hyrule and Termina are two completely different, how many have spoken of, parallel universes. In example, the same characters in Ocarina of Time are shown, only to have different life experiences to those in Hyrule. The also thing that proves the flaw wrong is that Sharp and Flat were both present in Ocarina of Time, rather than Sharp being the only one present. It is with this that can further spawn into the idea of Termina being the exact opposite of Hyrule and its civilians. Although, in Ocarina of Time, after you had learnt the Sun's Song, both of them disappear, never to return for the remainder of the game. I do stick firmly on my position that Hyrule and Termina are the universal opposite of each other, thus causing this, in my beliefs, that only the Terminian Flat to be sent to the devil, while the Hyrulian Flat moved on in his afterlife. So, there no true flaw if you consider the Flat issue the only flaw. That would have to be redirected to the Terminian religion.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
technically there are no real places to worship the goddesses in Hyrule, either. name one church youve seen. you cant really count the temple of time because the doors are sealed and no one is allowed in.

technically there are no real places to worship the goddesses in Hyrule, either. name one church youve seen. you cant really count the temple of time because the doors are sealed and no one is allowed in.
You're forgetting about the elemental temples. What else could they be for? And LttP had a church.

Hylian religion would be almost irrelevant in Majora's Mask, as it is located in Termina, an alternate dimension.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic

Alttp had a Church, and the Temples could be considered places of worship. I mean they are temples after all to the sages who are appointed by the goddesses.
There are also the WW temples, in these places Makar and Medli are praying to the goddesses.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Just because you aren't allowed into the back room of the Temple of Time, doesn't mean it isn't a place of worship. I always thought it was an undiscovered room. Also, how about the BGM? It's a bunch of men throat singing the Song of Time, as if they were monks worshipping. There's an alter, and room for an audience. How does that NOT count as a church?

Just because you aren't allowed into the back room of the Temple of Time, doesn't mean it isn't a place of worship. I always thought it was an undiscovered room. Also, how about the BGM? It's a bunch of men throat singing the Song of Time, as if they were monks worshipping. There's an alter, and room for an audience. How does that NOT count as a church?
Hm, I think I agree with you.

Besides, the whole architecture of the Temple of Time was almost identical to a church.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Hm, I think I agree with you.

Besides, the whole architecture of the Temple of Time was almost identical to a church.

i agree that it could be a worship place and i also agree that the temples were likely places of worship before monsters inhabited them but how is the temple of time identical to a church? there are no benches for people to sit. there is no podium for a speaker. the only podium in the place is for the spiritual stones to go. it really is just a big room with a place to put the stones and a back room where a sword lies. i dont see how it resembles a church in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom