• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Enjoying the Little Things

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Sometimes we seem to focus so much on the larger aspects of the series that we tend to miss the subtleties within the series. Now Nintendo is certainly one for throwing in secrets, easter eggs or just that odd little detail, but I think it's these small things that can add certainty add a lot.

So do you have any examples of "the little things" that you enjoy within the series?

Darunia's Dance to Saria's Song in Ocarina of Time has always held a special place in my heart. The sages have never been particularly well developed characters so I appreciated this bonding moment and character transformation. This carried over to finding out he was a sage. Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda game, and the Fire Temple was the first adult dungeon I beat so when I first confronted Volvagia, I thought he had killed Darunia, which brought out some emotion in me.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
I can't think of any of the top of my head. But in TP when Link does that little show off move right before he puts away his sword. That was awesome, I would go fight just so I could see him do it again.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh yes!! I always loved to press tha A button after he killed an enemy. That was one of the most funniest things. I can't help it but in ALBW I love it when Link is lying on the floor flat on his face. He looks so funny.
And I always enjoy the exploring itself perhaps even more than the main storyline. I like to break pots and cut the grass. That's why you will never see me doing a speedrun because I never can resist that urge to break something or cut the grass

MW7

In the Snowhead Temple of Majora's Mask there is a shortcut to the second floor that uses the scarecrow. This would require the hookshot as well so it seems like Nintendo designed the dungeon in anticipation of people wanting to replay it on a completed file and/or take advantage of nonlinearity (within the dungeon and with the game's dungeon progression). More evidence would include the large amount of otherwise pointless torches in Snowhead that make it possible to do the dungeon in strange orders with the hookshot. Nintendo may have anticipated players wanting to do portions of dungeons and skip around in the game's order once they get the dungeon items. Also all of the dungeons except Great Bay are set up so that you lose very little progress towards the boss if you choose to stop playing the dungeon after obtaining the dungeon item and resetting with the song of time. In Woodfall you can go to the east room and create an elevator to the second floor with the bow in less than two minutes, in Snowhead you have to go to the bottom floor anyway to raise up the pillar as soon as you get the fire arrows, and in Stone Tower the halfway mark of the dungeon literally requires leaving the dungeon once you have the light arrows. Another explanation for this is that Nintendo guessed players wouldn't be able to complete dungeons in a single cycle the first time so they made the game much more forgiving by making the dungeon items act as sort of checkpoints within dungeons. It took me a long time to notice these little details, but now I just marvel at all the thought that went into designing Majora's Mask.

Salem

SICK
I like some of the strange sounds NPCs make when you talk to them(like the carpenter boss in OoT). I liked some of the background noises as well.

I liked large dense towns like Clock Town from MM, and Hyrule Market from TP.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Small things like "improved" vocabulary in Ocarina of Time and the camera angles utilized in the same game create spurts of emotion that few other Zelda titles have been able to do. And by few, of course I mean one - MM.

Wallmaster

terrible things
Remember the last Iron Knuckle you fight in the Spirit Temple, but it's really Nabooru? The miniboss music starts up, but then she forgets her axe, so she snaps her hands and it appears again, and THEN the battle starts. My words don't really do it any justice, so here's a video of NintendoCapriSun seeing it. It's really funny, give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g7zeT1Yx84

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom