• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Ending in Twilight Princess...?

Would I have mis-placed this thread? I couldn’t decide between here or ‘Modern Zelda’. Well, if the mods feel it should be moved, please do so.

Okay, so I just re-watched the cutscene on YouTube after defeating Ganondorf. I always wondered why Zant cracked his neck like that… Then, Ganondorf dies. Why is this? And when I’m bored, I will come up with theories that make no sense whatsoever. So, is it because Zant let Ganon gain some physical form in the Twilight Realm, that he was able to let him die? Or is it something else. But now, I’m thinking that the four Spirits ended up using Ganondorf’s life force to revive Midna… I can’t think of any other explanation… I haven’t really played Twilight Princess in a while, so I could be wrong about a lot of this. But seriously, the equation; me + boredom = random Zelda-related theories.

I think it's agreed that Ganon put some of his powers transformed into Zant to get out of the Twilight Realm. Once Ganon died, I always thought that Zant broke his neck so Ganon couldn't rely on Zant to revive him.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Midna had never died, but I think it was Ganondorf that convinced and empowered Zant so that he could overthrow Midna. I believe Midna being turned into an imp was either an alternative to killing her (to gain control), or that it was an act intended to humiliate Midna after being overthrown, or some combination of the two. I figure that since Zant was influenced by Ganondorf, Ganondorf was effectively the one who cursed Midna; I suppose it's one of those cliché instances in stories where the curse is somehow linked to the individual who "cast" it (physically or intentionally), and defeating that individual "undoes" the curse. The level of Ganondorf's control is somewhat ambiguous, but it is certainly comparable to any of his other pawn-like characters in other games.

As for Zant breaking Ganondorf's neck, I'm assuming it was either out of revenge for being used as a pawn, or it was some sort of miraculous moment in which Zant realized the "error of his ways." =\

I always believed that was part of Ganondorf's imagination.
He was dying anyway, and that was just the last thing he saw, as he had used him, I wouldn't say he saw Zant out of "guilt" for having used him, because why would Ganondorf have guilt, lmao xD
But I think it was more of his imagination than anything else.
Wasn't Zant killed before anyway? owo

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
also, doesn't Midna say something like 'I'll see you soon' and then immedately just shatters the mirror of twilight? what was up with that? she just said things like 'we should keep and touch' and 'we'll see eachother again' and then breaks the mirror. like one-uping him right in front of zelda! (but now I guess then link is limited to 'being with' zelda, rather than 'being with' both at the same time) or some thing I dont know, it just upsets me that I had to deal with that TWICE! DX

also, doesn't Midna say something like 'I'll see you soon' and then immedately just shatters the mirror of twilight? what was up with that? she just said things like 'we should keep and touch' and 'we'll see eachother again' and then breaks the mirror. like one-uping him right in front of zelda! (but now I guess then link is limited to 'being with' zelda, rather than 'being with' both at the same time) or some thing I dont know, it just upsets me that I had to deal with that TWICE! DX

I don't think she says that xD
Look up the ending on youtube.
It's more like, if we're meant to see eachother again, we will find a way.

Edit: Oh wow, you're right. She say's see you later. Thogh she says "Link... I... See you later", I think she was going to say I love you. But she had to destroy the mirror to prevent the worlds from meeting again, to protect Hyrule if someone like Zant showed up again, affecting Hyrule at the same time because of it. Had to let her love go away to protect the world. Sad :(

Pinecove

Last Chance
Zant was to Ganondorf in TP what Aghanim was to Ganon in ALttP.
Simply put, they were soul bound, and Ganondorf's refusal of revival to Zant led to his demise.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'

I had always disliked this ending, as well. It made it seem as if Midna really was just being pragmatic (cruelly so) and using Link to get back to the Twilight Realm. I felt this contradicted a lot of Midna's character development throughout the game.
In general, I thought the ending of Twilight Princess abandoned a lot of good character development across the board, which was a real shame. :shake:

Anemos

Master of Chaos
But seriously, the equation; me + boredom = random Zelda-related theories.
Look at the Zelda Informer Forums, specifically the threads that I made that Nathan hasn't decided to mock. You aren't alone.

Zant appears to "break his neck" because he was, for lack of a better word, "killed" by Link before then.

You see, when Link killed Zant in the Twilight Realm, Zant was under the nearly invincible protection of Ganon. As long as Ganon lived, so would he.

Thus, when Ganon died, Zant was also dead. He already was, except for the fact that Ganon was able to revive him. When Ganon was gone, the protection died, leaving Zant in the state he would be without it.

It worked the same way with Midna. When Zant died, his curse on Midna was lifted.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
Well, when you battle Zant and defeat him. He claims "his god will resurrect him". Midna kills him, Ganondorf never revived him. So when Ganondorf is on the verge of dying, Zant breaks his neck as a metaphor for revenge.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
also, doesn't Midna say something like 'I'll see you soon' and then immedately just shatters the mirror of twilight? what was up with that? she just said things like 'we should keep and touch' and 'we'll see eachother again' and then breaks the mirror.
That bugged me as well. I guess I can agree with what DuckNoises said.

It worked the same way with Midna. When Zant died, his curse on Midna was lifted.
No, the curse lifted by the Light Spirits after Ganondorf was defeated.

Well, I just finished the game, and the conclusion I came to happens to be the same one that Pinecove posted. When he gave Zant his power, he split his soul. When he saw that the ToP left him and he was about to die, he tried to revive Zant to split his soul again in order to survive, but Zant wouldn't let him because he felt betrayed when Ganondorf didn't revive him earlier.

Goro-Link

I am all of me.
I think that Minda just sort of absorbed his soul somehow (i don't know the power of the fused shadows) and when ganon messed minda up, zant undid his curse and in exchange minda let him out. he turned good (however, was reduced to being a ghost) and decided to kill ganon, thus killing himself.

W

wherestheblanke

I always thought that when Ganondorf gave Zant his power, they became connected, and when Ganandorf was gravely injured, Zant cracked his next as a way to cut off all connection to him so that hed die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom