• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Emphasis on Number 4 in Majora's Mask

R

rnddim

...Anyway, I remember reading about his theory of numbers being that which unlocks the secrets of the universe and numbers being almost like gods to him - (I'm recalliing this off the top of my head from one of the books I've read, so forgive me if I'm wrong if you've read different). There was stuff like how 1 was the perfect number, 2 was evil because it represented division and disharmony, 3 was the almost-perfect number below 1, I think that 4 represented further disharmony - though it might have represented something harmonious becuase it's connected to the seasons... Now I wish this book wasn't in storage.
If and when that book dealing with Numerology gets out of storage, tell me what it says about the number 42. After all, it is The Answer*.
One number most games are glued to is 3. Three Triforce pieces, 3 Spiritual Stones (OoT), 3 hits to eliminate a boss (Super Mario 64), etc. It's weird how much one is attached to the number 3.
*If you caught the reference, then great:clap:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
If and when that book dealing with Numerology gets out of storage, tell me what it says about the number 42. After all, it is The Answer

Now *that* book is still somewhere in what was once our dining room, I believe... packed away in a box, awaiting a trip to the storage locker. (The only book I kept out to read is the second in the "Tweleve Kingdoms" series). The Addams collection is nestled safely boxed up. *Grin.*

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
and i just thought about this but it doesnt apply as much but in MC their are 4 dungeons, with four elements to make the four sword.
but i dont think the same applies with it as it does with MM

There are actually five dungeons in MC--one of the elements got moved, so there were five. Six, in fact, if you count Hyrule Castle at the end. Notably, Majora's Mask doesn't have a "final dungeon." You just go to Clock Tower (which you've been able to do since the beginning of the game) and play the Oath to Order, then enter the moon. Sure, you can play hide-and-seek, but you can also just go straight to the Majora battle (possibly--correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll grant that the four directions are a large part of this, but that doesn't mean that they're the only reason. Like I said, there was no "final dungeon" like there is in almost every other game, leaving the number of dungeons at four. I'm convinced that it can't be coincidental. While we miss it completely in English-speaking countries, I'm sure that it went noticed in Japan.

Definitely not coincidental. But considering the fact that Clock Town was in the center of Termina, there would most likely be four or more compass points. I'm sure it was noticed more in Japan.
Also, I feel like the first to notice; when you connect the dots of the first four compass areas you visit in order, they create a symbol of the number 4. I can't explain it well, so I'll try this:

termina.jpg

I hope that makes sense. =/

Zarom

The King

Hey! That's a great observation! I would have never tought about that.

Anyway, after reading some posts and seeing this picture, I do think that the emphasis on the #4 in MM is not a coincidence at all. Actually, I never tought about it before. 4 compass directions, 4 temples, 4 giants, 4 bosses, etc. And I've noticed that too: 4 transformations (Link, Deku, Goron, Zora) ;). Like others said, it must have been noticd more in Japan.

I noticed this. I think it sort of makes sense, seeing as there are four main points on a compass rose, and the games seems to revolve around four distinct directions, so the four giants, etc. make sense. The emphasis on 'four' in other places (in Clock Town, certain parts of the ground and walls have four-sided designs, etc.) might be due to the aforementioned four-directional layout of the world.

On a side note, I think Termina is more closely related to the word Terminus, than Terminate. Terminus meaning a ending or bounding point.
I pretty much completely agree with Kitsu here.

Most of this really stems from the fact that the game has four main dungeons. They split them up into the four compass directions, gave them each an area, a wing of Clock Town to set out from, a transformation mask (with the exception of the Fierce Deity Mask), and a Giant to save.

I don't see it as too related. Although MM was a game of subtle symbolism, so I can't say for sure. It's just what I think.

I also agree with Kitsu about the etymology of the name Termina. It would make sense considering the nature of the world map and the four directional design. It's like a transit point between the regions. The name might also relate to the connection between Hyrule and Termina, and possible other dimensions. Maybe. Probably not. :P

Starchain1

A star
I like your hypothesis but i think that basicly the number 4 circulated from the 4 main elements water,fire,earth,and air or wind. So the clocktown is like their setup for the way how people in the game use to worship the Giants

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
I like your hypothesis but i think that basicly the number 4 circulated from the 4 main elements water,fire,earth,and air or wind. So the clocktown is like their setup for the way how people in the game use to worship the Giants

Actually, those 4 are the western elements...there are five eastern elements: water, metal, earth, fire, and wood. Quick Wikipedia search: those five are the Chinese elements. There are also five Japanese elements, though slightly different: earth, fire, wind, water, sky/heavens/void.

Basically, eastern cultures wouldn't really think of the four elements that we think of.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Termina is Latin for The End. But it could be just a close relation to Terminate, never saw it that way.

And the number 4, that's interesting. Never noticed that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom