• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Earthquakes

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Have you ever experienced an earthquake before? How big was it and did it cause any harm or damage?

I’d never experienced an earthquake until I came to Japan and have since experienced them once or twice a month. They’re generally small and haven’t caused any damage that I’ve noticed so far but have sometimes been enough to wake me up. The largest was something like magnitude 4.8.

We do get earthquakes here sometimes but typically most fault movement is so minor that it would never be noticeable except on a seismometer. Though there was actually a pretty decent tremor here a few years back, like magnitude 2 or 3 or so, but I slept through it, lol. That says enough about our earthquakes, I guess. But yeah, our earth don't move much here. But we do have fault activity, and I got to look at a really detailed topographical map of my state showing where all of the faults were when I shadowed someone at ODNR. Huge map. Like probably as tall as me. Our faults are really weird though. They aren't typically continuous, and just randomly start and end. Would have to be some sort of vertical transform boundary I guess.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
um you are talking to someone that lives on the San Andres Fault Line, we are expecting it to go off anytime in the next 100 years. I have only experienced 1 earthquake where I was awake and it was big enough to notice. I was in 3rd grade and we couldn't leave the classroom right away cuz the light in the hall wouldn't stop swinging. Every time i hear about a small one I get happy cuz it means we have bought some time against the big one. :(

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
We had one back in 1993 or something. It was caused by BAM our national Oil Company. They digged for gas in the Northsea and this caused an earthquake in the north of holland and we all could feel it even over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom