• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Dungeons in Quantity or in Size?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Exactly. It's not the same exact pattern every time, unlike in the GameCube games. The final goal is the same, sure, but the journey isn't, and the journey is the bulk of the dungeon.

I'm missing something...what's the difference between grabbing a key and grabbing a key with the option of talking to a goron who gives useless info?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I prefer quantity. It allows for diversity of ideas and challenges. OoT understood this: we had eight dungeons that each were able to provide a unique joy (maybe Dodongo's Cavern and the Fire Temple had some similarities). That is on top of the mini-dungeons that allowed for other ideas to be used in the game. Dungeons are the soul of Zelda. We need them to dominate gameplay more than they did in SS and WW. They are the challenge and fun, and we need to see as many great ideas as possible expressed in them.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I want both really, but if I had to pick one, it would probably be quantity. This is why I liked Twilight Princess's dungeons so much - there were many of them and they were pretty long in size and had great quality.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I prefer quantity. It allows for diversity of ideas and challenges. OoT understood this: we had eight dungeons that each were able to provide a unique joy (maybe Dodongo's Cavern and the Fire Temple had some similarities). That is on top of the mini-dungeons that allowed for other ideas to be used in the game. Dungeons are the soul of Zelda. We need them to dominate gameplay more than they did in SS and WW. They are the challenge and fun, and we need to see as many great ideas as possible expressed in them.

Are you sure that you prefer quantity? If those same dungeons in OoT had been similar experiences, would they still be as enjoyable? Not to question your opinion, I just found it interesting that you said you preferred quantity and then stated how each dungeon in OoT was a unique joy.

I also disagree with the underlined statement. (Again, not to harsh your opinion, I just enjoy stating my own ;).) Dungeons were the soul of Zelda pre-OoT. But ever since, their importance and depth exist along side the expansive world that the games have since brought about. MM, considered one of the better Zelda games by many, had four great dungeons, but most recognize it for it's overworld and it's sidequests. Same for WW. Those who are fans of WW generally do not praise it for its temples, but for it's expansive overworld, atmosphere, and the game as a whole in general. I'm not saying that temples don't matter to the game, as they do immensely, but I don't feel that they can be described as "the soul of Zelda."

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Is MM great because it is a standard Zelda game? Or is much of its magic the radical departure from what we generally know about Zelda?

Well that's a whole nother discussion in itself but I'd say most enjoy it because of the route it took Zelda. Implementing and increasing concepts of OoT, while being diverse enough to be a unique experience.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I also disagree with the underlined statement. (Again, not to harsh your opinion, I just enjoy stating my own ;).) Dungeons were the soul of Zelda pre-OoT.

Actually, prior to Ocarina, the "soul of Zelda" was the exploration. Dungeons were pretty primitive in the first four games, although Link's Awakening was certainly a step up from the first three games in that regard. Ever since Ocarina, the dungeons have had a much heavier focus (except for The Wind Waker), so much to the point that it's very arguable that they're the meat and potatoes of the franchise. Maybe not quite the "soul of Zelda", but definitely the strongest feature.

i think quality>quantity or size. My favorite dungeon in OoT has always been the forest temple, I love fighting phantom ganon and the whole dungeon has a nice charm to it, the first time playing through the game the forest temple was so cool to me, because you were adult link now, more powerful, new items, and new weapons, it was almost a whole new game. And you can make it through that temple in half an hour if you know what you are doing. But then you have the water temple, I hate this temple more than any other part of any other zelda game (great palace is the only exception) its very large in size, but the puzzles don't make you think, they are just annoying. When you forget a key in the forest temple i just let a wallmaster grab me or save warp back to the beginning of the dungeon and collect it. but when i forget a key in the water temple I have to begrudgingly go through the whole temple again to get the water to the right level. The water temple was a game breaker for me until i was almost 12 years old, I would get stuck there for weeks, and I eventually just gave up and restarted the game and played to the water temple again. (rather rinse and repeat for 3-4 years) The other dungeons aren't as memorable to me because I didn't ever play through them until I was a teenager, I fully blame the crappy water temple for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom