• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dual Type Moves

Dual Type Moves?

• Yes Love The Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Would Break The Games

• Inbetween

• Total voters

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
Could this be something in Pokemon's future? Just think about the combos that could be done with this such as the moves...

Muddy Water - Ground&Water type....
It would still miss flying types and cause 8x damage to types weak to both such as Fire typing

Fire Punch - Fire/Fighting...
Now vs Bug typing it would do normal damage cause the fire is super effective but the fighting is not very effective thus nulling each other and equaling normal damage

Now this is just 2 moves i point out for debate on the topic,would adding this feature break the Pokemon formula or would it boost the competitive aspect behind the games?

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Half of me thinks, 'Yeah! That would be really cool and makes perfect sense!'
The other says,'What are you thinking!? You must be the half of the brain that doesn't pay attention! This would make it pretty hard to land a super effective with some moves, and imagine how ,any pokemon I have that will Get OHKOed in about 3 seconds!'
Yes, my brain talks to itself sometimes, though not like what I put above.

I don't think Duel Type moves are a good idea. It will bring unbalance to Competitive battling and may make it unfair to other trainers. Let's say a Water/Grass Type move was used on a Rock/Ground Type, Unless it has Sturdy which most rock types have, they would faint instantly to water alone, so is there really any need for the added power of the Grass Type? It's true that a Duel Type could potentially get up to x8 super effective damage unlike pure types that can do a maximum of x4, but don't you think anything over x4 super effective damage is a bit too overpowering and a waste of power?

And why change excising moves to duel type moves? Muddy Water is better as a Water type move on it's own. It annihilates Fire Types anyway, why drop the flying type just to do what it does in the first place? And with Fire Punch, again it's better as just a fire type move. Why make a super effective move neutral to a weak type like Bug? Just so the Bug Type can put up a fighting chance?

I do not see any benefit towards Duel Type moves, all it brings is unbalance.

Last edited:
I quite honestly think that this is a bad idea, due the fact that it would greatly upset the balance considerably. However, along with several restrictions, I might consider the off-chance of a single Move or Ability that combines two Moves - from two different types - for one turn (or whatever). But again, whether it's the amount of turns in which it can be used or the Pokémon involved in said Move combination, etc., there would have to be certain restrictions in place to preclude balance issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deeds

no text
It's an interesting idea, but would end up with Pokemon getting way too confusing. The younger audience of Pokemon players get confused at the normal move types, imagine them with dual move types. It would be hard to say logically what type would be effective against another type. It was easy to think that a water move type would be effective against a fire move type, not water and fighting.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
It sounds cool, but it would be a bad idea. It would probably confuse a lot of people and it would make competitive play a lot more difficult, if the dual type moves are involved.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
I think that this would just make way too much complication, as there is already a specific formula set out for the move usage, and Nintendo would have to change all the moves from the past that could be two types (e.g. ThunderPunch, Steel Wing, etc.)

I think the formula that Pokemon has now is fine; moves all have a single type, but the attacking moves can also be categorised as Physical or Special, which allows for more variety. For example, with ThunderPuch, it is an Electric type move that is a Physical attack. This fits both Electric and Fighting types well, as the Electric types would get STAB from the move, and Fighting types would typically be more effective with this move than non-fighting types, as they typically have a higher Attack stat value.

Having double type moves would just make things too complicated, and the Pokemon formula is already very specific. Too many players of previous games would be messed up by this new formula, as it would be a huge change to everything. I wouldn't like it, and I know many other gamers who wouldn't like it much, either.

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
Yes I know this would greatly increase the difficulty of understanding the formula for newer players but people currently involved in pokemon I think would have no trouble. How about if it was limited to new moves were made for this dual typing and each was just a status effect? Such as...

Steeling Thunder

Effect: Lowers opponent's defenses (special and regular) and has a 85% chance to cause paralysis.
Type: Electric/Steel

Decent move and its typing allows for it to hit ground and rock typing PKMN.

Steeling Thunder

Effect: Lowers opponent's defenses (special and regular) and has a 85% chance to cause paralysis.
Type: Electric/Steel

Decent move and its typing allows for it to hit ground and rock typing PKMN.

Rock isn't immune to electric so it would hit anyway. I guess it's possible to do at least Super effective damage to a rock type, but it still wouldn't hit a ground type because Electric is the primary type, therefore the move itself is electric based with Steel effects, so the result is it won't hit ground types. However if it were the other way round where Steel is the primary type, it will be a Steel based move with electric effects. So I guess only then it would hit ground types but doesn't get the effect of electric because Ground is immune to it, making the electric pairing meaningless to a ground type. So in essence you have practically made a move that doesn't really mean anything to the ground type. I guess on the up side, you would be able to do neutral damage to Water Types and super effective damage to flying Types.

Fine I admit it. It's possible to make Duel Types, but I don't think it's probable. There may be some move typings that will benefit from this, but I'd imagine a bulk of move typings would make moves either too powerful, weaker or have no effect at all.

I do like the actual effect of the move by the way, but the chances are way to high and you can't really have a move doing stat changes and status effects at the same time. The move should really either change stats or give a status effect not both, and the chances of it even occurring should be lowered to at least 30-40%, like most moves.

Last edited:
I personally feel that it would be a terrible idea. As someone pointed out with your examples, you don't really add anything in reality lose something due to the dual typing. In the cases where it would work, you'd probably start to cause a imbalance in power. First of all, you could practically double the amount of types you could hit for super-effective damage as long as the moves were well chosen making each pokemon much harder to combat, particularly the powerhouses of the game. Secondly, the tanks and walls in the game would find it harder to tank damage due to the increased type-coverage for each pokemon they wouldn't really gain much of a boost from the dual typing either, as a lot of them tend to rely on weather and poison/burn damage to whittle their opponents health down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom