• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dual Screens on Nintendo Handhelds

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
So recently I got to thinking about how much I adore the fact that the 3DS has two screens. I love the fact that I can play an RPG and on the bottom screen I have a menu I can access at any time without having to press a button, all I have to do is tap. It's incredibly convenient, and I honestly believe that dual screens have transcended the realm of gimmick and have become a welcome staple to the handheld consoles.

So what are your opinions on the dual screens included on Nintendo handhelds? Are you not sold on the idea of having a second screen? Would you rather go back to having only one screen like the GBA and it's predecessors? Or are you like me and you love the dual screens all the way?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I love the dual screens. It's an innovation that isn't just a gimmick, it has a lot of practical use in the form factor its in and I see no reason for them to stop. Only improve! I don't think it works on a console, but for a handheld, when both screens are usually in eye-sight at the same time, it works great. I'd still like bigger screens, though I understand portables still need to have some amount of portability, but as far as dual screens go they're still good.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Oh the dual screen is great. It was kinda a gimmick but it actually held basic use if used correctly. My favorite use for the bottom screen is it to be the current stat screen, a menu that you can get to quickly or the best use. The map.

The bottom screen is always so amazing to be a map. since handhelds while having decent screen size can't really have a scrunched up map in the corner. So making the bottom screen into a large glorious map is so amazing. They can put in a good amount of detail into and and just all my yes. I will never get lost again!!!

I always hated the Dual Screens. I typically don't like when people throw around "gimmick", however I guess in this case I do believe in most cases the second screen is almost entirely pointless. Maybe if it was used a little better more often I'd like it, but I don't think of hitting a button to look at a map that much of a disadvantage.

I really didn't like the DS, always felt the PSP was loads better, and I feel the same way now about the Vita despite its poor performance. I just prefer one nice screen over 2 mediocre screens.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I'm actually a big fan of the two screens. I don't think it's a necessity, but it's a real convenience. Like everyone is saying, being able access your map, items, menus, etc., from the bottom screen is really great. The clamshell design is absolutely needed, however, to keep it portable. I wouldn't hate it if Nintendo went to one screen only, but I do think the dual screen idea is a good one.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I think the tablet trend, especially over the past few years will dictate Nintendo's future handhelds.

At the time, having one touch screen and one game screen was highly innovative, but now you can have a 6 to 10 inch portable multi touch screen in high-definition rather than 2 480p screens.

So recently I got to thinking about how much I adore the fact that the 3DS has two screens. I love the fact that I can play an RPG and on the bottom screen I have a menu I can access at any time without having to press a button, all I have to do is tap. It's incredibly convenient, and I honestly believe that dual screens have transcended the realm of gimmick and have become a welcome staple to the handheld consoles.

So what are your opinions on the dual screens included on Nintendo handhelds? Are you not sold on the idea of having a second screen? Would you rather go back to having only one screen like the GBA and it's predecessors? Or are you like me and you love the dual screens all the way?

The WiiU is basically the same thing. Two screens. This is great, I love it but there is a flaw. And I'll give one example of this.
The new Kirby game. The clay Curse/Rainbow Paintbrush game. You use the Wii Pad to play the game 95% of the time. And because of this you don't look much at the TV screen. If you do, you lose cause you need to use the game's touchscreen to play the game. Sure this game uses the touch screen well, but almost too well, to the point where you are not looking at the amazing visuals on the TV at all. Might as well just play the game off TV entirely with the TV turned off.

The 3DS has a similar issue, but not as pronounced as the two screens are close together. A game that requires your attention on one screen really makes information on the 2nd screen hard to look at. You need to time your glances to the 2nd screen well. If you do not, the game will punish you. So it basically becomes, wait till the game's action slows down a little then you can freely glance tot he 2nd screen. This makes a game requiring both screens in the heat of battle hard to play and not really using both screens the best.

Games like Xenoblade WiiU and Hyrule Warriors do this well. All of the action is on the main screen and the map and other non combat info is on the 2nd screen which you can look at that in between the action sequences. The 3DS is exactly the same in this regard. Hard to touch on the touch screen as well as use your buttons to do whatever for the top screen. The balance between both screens is fine line to be treading. A few games have gotten it right, and a few like the new Kirby WiiU game have gotten it wrong in a really bad way.

I've always liked the dual screen design of the DS and 3DS handhelds. They made the clamshell design of the GBA SP a lot more efficient. The dual screen design is very practical in most games. For the games Nintendo has made, it really helps to remove clutter from the HUD. I prefer the 3DS approach of barely using the touch screen for control. It felt so forced in early DS games, like Super Mario 64 DS and Phantom Hourglass.

That being said, I think Nintendo will shy away from dual screens in the future. The popularity of the gimmick is fading. Nintendo has already come to embrace future mobile potential with the NX. Future Nintendo handhelds will probably trend towards smart phone and tablet design in the future.

wingedarcher7

Kono Link da!
I really like the dual screens, actually. They don't need to be there, but it's really nice that they are. Some companies have been able to do some really innovative stuff with it, like the fighting system of The World Ends With You. Having it as a menu is really convenient too. Nintendo pretty much brought that feature back with the WiiU and it has some really innovative stuff there too, so I like it and I would be totally fine with it sticking around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom