• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help Dreamcast Emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Does anyone know how to run an emulator on a Windows 8 computer?

I've tried the programs nullDC and Chankast and read about how it works but I still don't understand why it isn't playing the games.

I downloaded a program called Daemon Tools Lite and learned about mounting an image and putting it on a "fake" drive but the emulator still doesn't work.

Any help?

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
Does anyone know how to run an emulator on a Windows 8 computer?

I've tried the programs nullDC and Chankast and read about how it works but I still don't understand why it isn't playing the games.

I downloaded a program called Daemon Tools Lite and learned about mounting an image and putting it on a "fake" drive but the emulator still doesn't work.

Any help?

I'll look into this a bit tomorrow. Until then, cry running it in compatibility mode, and as admin. What game are you trying to run?

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
*sighs

I really don't want that. :'(

It's easy. If you can't run in admin at least try compatibility mode. Just right click, hit properties and hit the "Compatibility" Tab. You should see a button to run it on compatibility mode and a drop down menu. Try Windows 7, and if that doesn't work do XP.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
It's easy. If you can't run in admin at least try compatibility mode. Just right click, hit properties and hit the "Compatibility" Tab. You should see a button to run it on compatibility mode and a drop down menu. Try Windows 7, and if that doesn't work do XP.
Haha I was talking to Snow about being band.

No what I'm saying is...I have the game file and everything...When I go and run. The emulator and select the drive that the game is on it says error. (And btw I honestly am not good at figuring this out. Haha)

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
Haha I was talking to Snow about being band.

No what I'm saying is...I have the game file and everything...When I go and run. The emulator and select the drive that the game is on it says error. (And btw I honestly am not good at figuring this out. Haha)

Ah, okay. I'll download it tomorrow when I have access to reliable internet. I'll get back to you then. Until then, is there a specific error message that pops up?

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
It
Ah, okay. I'll download it tomorrow when I have access to reliable internet. I'll get back to you then. Until then, is there a specific error message that pops up?

Thank you. Chankast says something like TOGS not found? And nullDCsays I'm missing a plugin so the program won't work.

It

Thank you. Chankast says something like TOGS not found? And nullDCsays I'm missing a plugin so the program won't work.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
Alright, my internet connection right now is fuzzy, but I'll try to get you all the info needed. I'll try to help you get NullDC work for you because I could find more info on it.
First of all, you may need a BIOS if your copy of the emulator didn't bundle one. This is like a rom in that it I can't tell you where to get it due to forum rules. I can tell you that a quick search of "NullDC BIOS" Will get you results. After downloading it, unextract it if it was in an archive such as a .zip, .rar, of .7z. If it's one of the latter I recommend 7zip.
Make sure you get a region free BIOS, or one that matches the region of the ISO you're using.
Toss it in the Data folder with the name "dc_boot.bin"
Next is the plugins. I'm guessing that the emulator came in a .zip or similar. Did you make sure to unzip everything and not just the .exe? They should come with it, if they don't I'll try to find you some in the next couple of days. I'm trying to research it but nothing is loading. What I could find is that you need these two things installed (If the BIOS doesn't fix the issue try this, but they're probably already installed)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
They aren't viruses, I promise. (That's exactly what a virus would say, but I really do promise!)

If you didn't get your copy of NullDC from here, grab it from here so we're on the same page. https://code.google.com/p/nulldc/downloads/list
It's the bottom one. (without "NAOMI" in the title)

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Alright, my internet connection right now is fuzzy, but I'll try to get you all the info needed. I'll try to help you get NullDC work for you because I could find more info on it.
First of all, you may need a BIOS if your copy of the emulator didn't bundle one. This is like a rom in that it I can't tell you where to get it due to forum rules. I can tell you that a quick search of "NullDC BIOS" Will get you results. After downloading it, unextract it if it was in an archive such as a .zip, .rar, of .7z. If it's one of the latter I recommend 7zip.
Make sure you get a region free BIOS, or one that matches the region of the ISO you're using.
Toss it in the Data folder with the name "dc_boot.bin"
Next is the plugins. I'm guessing that the emulator came in a .zip or similar. Did you make sure to unzip everything and not just the .exe? They should come with it, if they don't I'll try to find you some in the next couple of days. I'm trying to research it but nothing is loading. What I could find is that you need these two things installed (If the BIOS doesn't fix the issue try this, but they're probably already installed)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
They aren't viruses, I promise. (That's exactly what a virus would say, but I really do promise!)

If you didn't get your copy of NullDC from here, grab it from here so we're on the same page. https://code.google.com/p/nulldc/downloads/list
It's the bottom one. (without "NAOMI" in the title)

YES! The actual emulator is working! The only thing I need to do is download the game again, I accidently deleted the file.

And I have poor internet too, so I'll have to do all of that tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for all your help! :)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Since the matter has been resolved, I'm going to close this thread.

Feel free to message a mod/admin if there are any questions/concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom