• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Drawing on Wall System, Good Idea or 3DS Gimmick?

Night Owl

~Momentai
I wouldn't consider it a 3ds gimmick, because they could've implemented it in any zelda they wanted.

If they do it right, I think it could really add to the game without feeling like a gimmick.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
:linkhumping: I really believe that the drawing system is another gimmick...a very unattractive one at that. However, the whole "switch from 2D to 3D" thing can give some great headway for puzzles so I don't care if it's a gimmick or not. All games need SOMETHING attractive, but said attractiveness needs to be fulfilling and not just an attention grabber. ;)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Drawing on a wall is a fitting system for 3DS, as the hand-guided stylus is a much easier instrument to utilize. Now, the motion-controlled system actually felt like a gimmick and oftentimes resulted in awkward looking doodles which made the task seem like a waste of time, despite the rewards which followed afterwards. But capably sketching through the application of a handheld device flows more naturally and doesn't feel forced like the SS alternative.

I think it could turn out to be an interesting mechanic,. It will certainly make dungeon exploration different from other Zelda titles. Overall, I see it either adding an extra layer of depth to the game, or becoming a mere curious oddity. I think the main problem at the moment is we don't know how it factors into the story. If it's established as a central part of the narrative, than people will be less likely to think it's a tacked on gimmick.

Last edited:
It depends on how you can use it. If it's just for simple puzzles, to get around corners and such, It will be a shame. But if you can become a drawing ON Ganon. It would mean the world to me.

I think it should be used sparingly, not the answer to every puzzle. They need to make it used in different ways like the paper gimmick in Paper Mario 2. That is one of my favorite games, because the game devs used the paper in so many cool ways. We need to make ALttP2 like that.

I don't know enough to make an informed decision. My gut feeling is "Oh noes, it's teh Zelda gimmick!!1", but who knows, it could turn out to be something deep. If traversing terrain is the full extent of this new ability, then yes, I believe it's a mere gimmick to separate it from other Zelda games. That said, if you're able to do other interesting stuff like draw to interact with the terrain (draw different types of bombs for different effects, for instance) or mess with paintings before entering them, it could be a very deep, well-used mechanic. I'd love to see Nintendo make full use of it, but I don't know enough about it to proclaim yea or nay. I do know it looks a little too corny and goofy for my tastes; The Wind Waker had a lighthearted appearance and atmosphere, but it still knew how to be insightful and epic. I don't know how this is going to turn out, and I can't imagine it looks terribly heroic battling the great evil as some Crayola-inspired child's drawing on the wall. Nevertheless, I'll wait to see what comes of it before denouncing it completely.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I think you should be able to draw your 'drawing' on the bottom screen, then turn into it. You could have so much fun drawing male genitalia different versions of Link.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
That would be cumbersome having to draw something every ****ing time you have to attack to a wall. Neat in theory, horrid in reality.

Nah, I meant just draw one then use it for the rest of the game. It's not happening anyway, it's a little bit silly :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom