• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Dragon-ish Head Canon...

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
So I was thinking today, about the loftwings and how Nintendo did like a lot of fantasy novels and movies did, only with birds instead of dragons. In Dragonriders of Pern, there are different colors of dragons, each color can only be one gender, and they are ranked by color. Some people in the fandom create new colors and sometimes those colors can be either gender. In Temeraire, there are dragons that are scouts/messengers, dragons that are on the front lines of the battlefield...etc.

Came up with this:
loftwing_colors_by_rubydragoncat-d6ve17c.png

LIGHTWEIGHT colors are the fastest and most common. Because of the high agility of these loftwings, their riders often take messenger, medic, or rescuer roles. In battle they can dart and weave around the enemy with more success than midweight and heavyweight colors. They are built to reach the destination and reach it quickly, so their endurance isn't as good.

MIDWEIGHT colors have an equal balance between strength and speed. They are less common than lightweights, yet more common than heavyweights. Their riders usually serve as both scouts and front line fighters. Sometimes a midweight rider will decide on one side of the spectrum and only do speed flying or only do endurance training, but most of the time, midweight riders are there for whatever they're most needed for.

HEAVYWEIGHT colors are the most uncommon. They are like feathered tanks, their strength and endurance is very good, but they aren't as agile. Once they reach top speed, it's hard for them to change direction quickly. Heavyweights are often placed on the front lines so they can plow through the enemy.

The ranks aren't super strict. Even though all the rescue knights we see in game have metal gray loftwings, just because you have a lightweight doesn't mean you absolutely have to be a medic for example. If you work hard enough, you can be a front line fighter. And civilians arent told what colors they can and can't have.

...Yeah. Thoughts?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I like the idea in general; it gives much more weight (pun not intended ;)) to the whole Loftwing dealio. And I mean, this works pretty well - frequent comments towards Link's bird and its color were made, so why not?

Dragoncat

This didnt get ignored! *does happy dance*

Only...Groose's loftwing is black. One of the lightweight colors. Picture a big lug like him zipping around like he's got rocket boosters, lol. I guess it would explain how him and his buddies were able to get ahead of Link during the wing ceremony to throw eggs at him though...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Only...Groose's loftwing is black. One of the lightweight colors.
Hey, you DID say this was for a fanfiction. Your universe's rules may not necessarily apply to Nintendo's universe, after all. ;)

Picture a big lug like him zipping around like he's got rocket boosters, lol. I guess it would explain how him and his buddies were able to get ahead of Link during the wing ceremony to throw eggs at him though...
Aaaaaand despite having said what I did above, I can actually see this happening. Groose is a cheater at heart. I wouldn't put it past him to find something to act as a speed boost. ;p

Dragoncat

OH GOD I don't think rocket boosters exist in Skyloft/Hyrule lol. And if you put a bomb by him he whimpers and about wets his pants, so that's out :lol: If they had mentos and diet coke, I can see him trying that xD A whole bunch of it...he'd need to in order for it to work. But how would he sneak it past the instructors...anyway.

True true, head canons dont always have to agree with canon canon. Pipit's loftwing is gold. In game he calls it a he once, but with this, gold is a female only color. If Zelda can have a male loftwing, Pipit can have a female...another thing I say is that males have longer tail feathers.

I actually came up with the majority of this post Stormy Skies, the fanfic isn't done yet, so maybe it'll be mentioned. I had the colors and what genders they can be and how rare they are, but the strengths and weaknesses are new.

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
This is really interesting. It really is... and that's all I have to say. Brain too fried from amounts of homework to think. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom