• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does blood belong in Zelda, will Zelda Switch have any?

I personally don't see Zelda as a mature series or one with the ability to even be close to anything like games such as The Witcher 3...

Blood, sex, detailed politics, alcohol and drug use, crime and all that mature stuff games like to pull, to me, would feel out of place in Zelda.

However, BotW threw a lot of coventions out without changing the mentality of the series.

With the Switch a success and a new 10million plus players for the series do you think Zelda will change its stripes and go more mature?

Will there be blood?
Will there be grey area politics and terrible corruption?
Will Link have beard DLC?

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Zelda is not a "mature" series and it doesn't have to embroil itself in sex, politics or to a lesser extent violence. And I will be very grateful if it never does. I actually tend to find such material distracting, even in The Witcher. Although The Witcher 3 handles its mature subject matter more deftly than usual. Of course of all things, sex and politics are the least likely to ever find their way into a Zelda game so long as ninty still has a say in the matter.

The Zelda series is also not, however, infantile. Well, it is, if the last couple of entries and Wind Waker are any indication. But it never used to be and it doesn't have to be. The implied violence and depictions of blood and torture in Ocarina of Time enrich the experience. The moment players are introduced to the game's blood and violence is such a formative turning point of the adventure. It serves to underscore the narrative themes of Ocarina of Time.

Link has entered into an adult world, abruptly, unwillingly and unprepared (and for many of us, our experience is the same). This world is nothing like his idyllic childhood. Dark, morbid, and downright sinister secrets are revealed, lurking just behind the polite cheery facade of Hylian society. You don't have to look far to discover the nasty things Hyrule has been up to. This is what it means to be an adult. This is what it means to have courage and mature. Without the depictions of blood and torture in the Shadow and Spirit Temples and the Well, as well as the dark sinister implications of the Forest Temple, this essential theme wouldn't be conveyed and Ocarina of Time would lose a significant portion of its gravitas. The story even begins to deal in genocide and slavery, also an unfortunate fact of life that adults must contend with. Not just Link, but players - kids and adults alike - go through this experience in the game, and learn something from it. This wouldn't happen if violence weren't depicted. Speaking from personal experience, my life has undoubtedly been enriched by this facet of Ocarina of Time.

Similar themes of death, banishment, racial tension and strife, and other mature subject matter also permeate Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. They are highlights of both games, helping to deliver stories and enrich characters and enlighten players.

The inclusion of blood, sex and violence simply for the sake of being edgy is immature, however. There has to be a reason for it.

Now Zelda could remain frivolous entertainment. It could carry on as a simple, cheerful, carefree adventure with just its humor and melodrama and bright happy neon pastels and cartoon violence and all audiences would take away from it is simple mostly disposable amusement. But if the Zelda series is to be more than that, if it is to be an expressive work of art that leaves a lasting impression more than a mere toy, then mature themes such as this are necessary to enrich the experience.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Zelda isn't a mature series at present but it should be. It would be so much better with some gratuitous violence and gore. It would be so much more satisfying hacking the limbs off enemies and slashing open their bellies so that their intestines fall out. It is about time Zelda grew up with its audience.

Strong sex and nudity would also make the series much better. I would have loved to have seen sex scenes between the champions and link as well as Paya and link. Would have really enjoyed a side story in BoTW called Brokeback Death Mountain about some gay gorons.

Will Zelda switch have it? No. Zelda switch will probably be like all the rest in terms of violence and blood. Politics and sex will probably also not be in. Though the usual innuendo will likely be present.

Last edited:
I rather it stay like it is, between mature and family in regards to violence and the sexual innuendo that pops up here and there. Not sure how politics would figure into a Zelda game. If integrated into a large story it could be interesting I suppose.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
OoT%20blood%20change.jpg
reminds me of Ganondorf's gaseous blood
Zelda doesn't really need lots of blood or gore. Though I will saw it was pretty neat when Barinade exploded in OoT

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
Its a minor detail, really, and not one you'll find me fuss over. But I'm not a fan of gore, so if I had to choose, I say keep it the way it is. But if Aonuma does add gore, I trust he'll do it in a way that makes sense with the themes of the game as a whole.

Deus said:
It would be so much more satisfyinghacking the limbs off enemies and slashing open their bellies so that their intestines fall out. It is about time Zelda grew up with its audience.
Nah, I find this backwards. That kind of satisfaction shouldn't be associated with maturity in the way you imply. Perhaps it also isn't immature, but rather disassociated with maturity altogether.

It's true that gore appears mature based on how we keep them out of lower age ratings, since parents want to keep younger kids from having nightmares. But kids can get over that stage at a pretty young age, and it doesn't really consider what each age group is interested in. In my opinion, themes like loss, mortality, politics, social justice, romance, character development, and self-sacrifice represent maturity much better than gore. These are the themes that usually went over my head when I was young, and cared more about action, superpowers, being represented on screen, toilet humor, and (by the time I was around 13) sex and gore. I'm not saying I've grown out of these things now, I just don't think the average adult feels like they need these things to enjoy a game, and that they don't represent maturity, and that its not the only step Nintendo needs to take in order to "grow up" with its audience.

As a side note, I remember loving The Phantom Menace when I first saw it in theaters when I was around 8 years old, and the most standout moments to me were the lightsaber duels, the pod racing, seeing a little kid (who looked an awful lot like me at that age) piloting a spaceship, and jar jar's funny voice. Now I watch it, and thing like continuity and focus matter to me now, and character, and drama and themes and good acting, and it has none of that and just bores me to death! But when I was a kid I was like "scary demon guy just got split in half! I want a light saber!"

Sorry if I missed the point of your post, just these days I don't think gore and maturity have anything to do with each other.

Ninja

Well well well
Will there be blood?

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing small amounts of blood here and there. It isn't really necessary for a Zelda game, I'd be just fine with scenes like Ganondorf's defeat, and Bottom of the Well/Shadow Temple in OoT.

Will there be grey area politics and terrible corruption?

Some video games are very good and introducing a bit of grey area politics and corruption. Even some games like FFX challenge religion in it's own way. As long as it's executed properly, I'd be fine with it.

Will Link have beard DLC?
HE SHOULD. I'd pay for that.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Maybe an option for it protected by parental controls (at least for the blood).

I would love to see detailed politics and a reasonable amount of gore. At least enough to call it killing instead of "defeating"

i think the zelda series is very atmospheric, and personally feel blood and that other sort of stuff will break that

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
If they are to go so far as to show blood and call it "killing," I would prefer it if Zelda handled it maturely in some way. Make Link understand and maybe even struggle to come to terms with it. Maybe add alternative solutions from killing, or make it so that you only have to kill when you're backed into a corner. Or maybe you struggle with who to trust and a another hylian stabs you in the back because you let your guard down (but at the very least the game is conveying a real message to you).

I understand that a lot of these example ideas off the top of my head have a risk of changing the game into something its not, but my point is that I don't want a Zelda game to turn into one of those "killing-spree" loose morals adventure games. Moments where I have a natural tendency to avoid judging the innocent when I was clearly supposed to lay waste to everything that moves happened all of the time in Skyrim and various shooters, and I felt it was tone-deaf for anyone approaching this game with a more realistic decision making process. And it didn't help that the large majority of enemies in that game are sentient beings. The massive amounts of blood and gore didn't help either.

EDIT: Woops, I didn't realize I replied to this thread already! Well, here's a different perspective for you all.

Last edited:

HylianEVAN

Conquer yourself
Well the only time I saw blood was in Ocarina of time in the well at kakariko village (Exuse me if I spelled it wrong)
Well that’s the only time I saw blood but I think it would be to adult like if they had blood so Nintendo didn’t put blood

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom