• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you think we'll see the pre-BOTW style again?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'm wondering what you guys think the future holds for 3d Zelda. Do you think there's at all a chance for us to see the old style of 3d Zelda games again? Or is open world now and forever how 3d Zelda games will play like?
Additionally, how much would you want to see the old style to stick around? My answer to this is very much

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
This is what I was referencing when I said Zelda is dead and we killed it

We're never going to see a new Zelda game with classic Zelda gameplay ever again. The best we can hope for is remakes and remasters

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
For sure. I'm happy to have these two open-air games but Nintendo is the best in the industry at experimenting within their ip. I'm honestly more worried that we'll never see another top-down title.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
This is what I was referencing when I said Zelda is dead and we killed it

We're never going to see a new Zelda game with classic Zelda gameplay ever again. The best we can hope for is remakes and remasters
more like ports since all of them already got remasters

For sure. I'm happy to have these two open-air games but Nintendo is the best in the industry at experimenting within their ip. I'm honestly more worried that we'll never see another top-down title.
I don't think that should be a worry, that's like it's own thing entirely so it's just a matter of time

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I really hope this is just a temporary thing. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but it's not really Zelda to me. I fell in love with the old style, those were the types of games that I adored. These new ones are fun too, but I don't want the old style to go away

I'm sincerely hoping for it, though I'm not sure how realistic it is. Nintendo has always been about gimmicks for their Zelda games and then moving onto the next one, with maybe some design philosophies they picked up along the way making it into the next title along with the new gimmick. Even if BotW leaves a permanent mark on the series, the open world was arguably its gimmick (and you know, Majora's Mask as a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time did share its gimmick of time travel, so...), maybe the next title will ease into something else. Really impossible to say though, but the series would become tragically monotonous if they stopped that variability entirely to just stick to the open world format just because a game happened to be successful.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I’m not really sure what to think. I would like to think that they’ll go back to the old style, but it really wouldn’t surprise me if they just stick with open world going forward as that’s what seems to be most popular these days.

I wonder this about Pokémon as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom