• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you think we will ever see a Zelda Maker?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Designing it for, say, the OoT engine, as you suggested, would definitely be too much. But if you have only 2-2.5 D engines (I'd suggest LoZ, ALttP/LA/OoX, MC/FS/FSA, and maybe PH/ST) then it could work.
Not like Nintendo will make this by the way. I somehow doubt it.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
That was the original idea for the very first game but they didnt have the technology available to make it happen so you never know they might put it back on the cards after Mario level maker

I think its too complex, personally. One of the things that made Mario Maker fairly easy was the simple mechanics, while also have a lot of variety. The design of Mario levels are diverse but always fundamentally the same. As an aside, there are some very cool Zelda inspired levels on Mario Maker!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Maybe a Dungeon Maker for the 2D style...but I doubt it. Zelda doesn't have enough reception for Nintendo to personally put that kind of resources into it.

It would certainly be really difficult. If they did manage to pull it off, it would definitely be restricted to 2D, and would likely either be an overworld maker, or a dungeon maker, as both are quite different tasks. It would be almost impossible though, because Super Mario Maker focuses on minute-long stages; whereas Zelda is a multi-hour-long experience that would take ages to make. Think about it: a Mario level takes probably 2 hours to make properly, but no more than 5 minutes to play through. Scale that up to 2-3 hour dungeons, and the time needed to create them becomes to big to reasonably fit into a game, not to mention the far greater difficulty in designing a good dungeon vs designing a good Mario level.

I wish they would. What if it was something more of a two player option somewhat similar to the DS multiplayer games. You choose a pre-loaded dungeon from the original Zelda up to Link's Awakening and one player plays as Link while the other controls where the enemies are and how many. The "Dungeon Player" could have a limit on how many of each enemy they can deploy and can only use the enemies from that specific dungeon. It's not quite as much of a "Maker" game as Mario, but it is similar and could be released as a Maker game if they wanted.

Djinn

and Tonic
Not really, there is a lot of variation in the gameplay for Zelda, few really match up. With Mario it is always basically the same thing, jump and scroll to the right. That makes it easy to have a level creator and switch out artstyles quickly. With Zelda that is probably best imitated with the 2D top down ones like LoZ, ALTTP, LA, MC, and SP/PH. And that would not really be as exciting.

The biggest issues is that level design is hard. Mario maker works because it's a base platformer so as long as there are interesting platforms it can be use to great effect but Zelda isn't really like that. While some people would be able to use the tools well most wouldn't have the commitment or the interest to understand how the use the tools to make a good experience.

I can kinda see it happening, but probably based on the top-down Zelda games, not N64. That being said, there's already a similar fanmade Zelda maker...also, I don't think it would be as popular or fun as Mario Maker.

I see it being possible only on a top down perspective in light of the classics. Anything more than that is just too much.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Zelda Classic has been around since I can remember and for whatever reason, Nintendo hasn't sat on them. Until we do get a Zelda Maker, Zelda Classic is actually a pretty good place-holder.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Something like OoT, probably not, but I imagine something like the 2D games I could see being a thing soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom