• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think We Got the Bow Too Late in Skyward Sword

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
The bow is my favourite zelda item, and i was really excited for it in this game. However, i believe it was receives too late to fully enjoy its new features, like the MotionPlus. Anyone else agree? Or disagree?

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it would have been nice to get it a bit sooner but seeing as the slingshot gets very little, if any, use once the bow is acquired, it was good that you had to use the slingshot for more of the game

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I felt like the Bow was received to late, but as TrueChaos said, the Slingshot gets little to any usage once you get it; obtaining the Bow makes it totally obsolete. If the Slingshot didn't make an appearance and was replaced by the Bow entirely, then maybe the "too late" factor would disappear as well.

everettkagan

Major SS and Oot fan!
The bow was the last item you get in the game. It just seems that there wouldv'e been so many uses for it if it came earlier in the game. maybe we could've gotten the bow instead of the whip in the ancient cistern. I mean, what do you use the whip for anyway? The bow could've been so much more helpful.

I thought it was better for them to give us the bow late in the game, even though it's probably the most popular item in the series and most closely associated with Link. The bow would have made things too easy if we got it early. It can hit switches and pick off enemies from far away before they even see you. So I think it was a fitting final item in the game. If we had gotten it earlier, it would have defeated the purpose of other items, like previous people had said, including the beetle in many ways.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
While it did actually sadden me a little bit that the bow was such a late item in the game, I have to admit that it was probably better for the overall structure and flow of item usage. Twilight Princess kinda had a problem with that, even though I think the idea of items being barely usable out of their dungeons in it is a bit blown out of proportion. Once you have both the slingshot and the bow, the slingshot does become more like a back-up plan for distanced attacks. That is not helped by the sometimes generous supply of arrows you can find in some places. I think the item usage was probably a bit more evenly distributed due to that, but the bow being one of my favorite items in the series I certainly do have some things to say on its late appearance.

That said, I do think that they got the most out of its usage. Sandship's design felt pretty interesting to traverse in my opinion. Shoting the bokoblins in the sails and using the targets to trigget those ropes had a similar feeling to that of a swash-buckling movie to me. I guess it's somewhat unusual for a Zelda game, but interesting decision from Nintendo.

Last edited:
Well sort of i mean if was also perfect timing. Like the sling did exactly what the bow did but more diffucluit to control. But maybe we should of got it like 1 dungeon earlier.

Yes, it was obtained quite late in the game. However, I felt it was more than useful in that seemingly short amount of time between obtaining it and the end of the game. The pacing in Skyward Sword was well-done as far as items go, in my opinion.

I do wish we could of got it a bit earlier but it was implemented just fine. It would be a bit too overpowered if you got it any earlier. I wish there were some ice/fire/light arrows though!

For me the bow came in at probably just the right time, in TP the slingshot was so unerused after Goron Mines (the Second dungeon), and I think Nintendo must have noticed this and for SS decided to give it to us later... but I didn't expect it to be the last item, maybe as someone said it should have been given in Ancient Cistern. I'm not that keen on the bow anyway, if you read my post in the "Does Anyone Feel The Bow Was Given Too Late" or whatever thread, then I find the aiming dot to be innacurate as in TP.

It is my favorite 3D Zelda item. I would have enjoyed to receive it earlier but, getting it so late makes it all the more better once you do get it. It makes you feel accomplished! Like "Yeah! I finally got the bow!". Plus it is a very powerful item and would have been too cheap if we got it early. I think it's fine getting it at the sandship! (:

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
That is exactly what I found. The Slignshot was cool at first but just got boring and did no damage so after Skyview and a few other times it was useless. Finally when we got the bow it was a lot of fun. However soon the game. I would have liked it if you got the bow in the Lanyru Mines and you got the gust bellow on the Sandship.

Mickaroo

Call me Micky
I just remember freaking out because I though I missed an item. Up until then, the items go around your circle in order as you get them...but that top circle was empty and I was so sure I had missed something! Ah, well, I am pretty paranoid...

Anyway, I do think the bow was received late, almost too late but not quite. Using the slingshot for awhile was actually pretty nice. I felt the usage of all of the items was really balanced in SS, which is what TP struggled with in my opinion.

Beeker

Wild Card
The bow did seem a little late, but that wasn't much of a problem. In fact, I liked the developer's decision to introduce the newer items early in the game and give the mainstays like the Clawshots and Bow later. Not only does it give a chance to use these new toys, but it also kinda balances the items a bit. I wouldn't actually mind if something like this happened again and the bow came later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom