• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Nintendo Intentionally Does This?

So we all get annyoed when Nintendo imposes useless hints/tips/tricks/information in our Zelda games. This useless stuff for lack of a better term is usually given to us by our loving and dearest companions throughout the game. For instance, when your health got severely low in Skyward Sword Fi would stop us in the middle of our journey just to specifically tell us that our health was low and we should restore our hearts. If this wasn't bad enough the drastically slow text speed compared to the other games made this extremely obnoxious.

Now Zelda fans rage about these annoying instances in Zelda games each time a new installment comes outand we all wonder to ourselves why does Nintendo do this to their games. I understand they want to cater to the relaxed gamer type but sometimes they take these measures out of control and act like we don't have a mind of our own (see example listed above).

Here's my question. Do you think that Nintendo intentionally does this because they know we get so frustrated with it? Think of it like they're just playing a joke on us by implementing these "hand walk you through the game" sections. Or, do they seriously not understand what they're doing is idiotic and nobody appreciates it?

A lot of the time I found myself replying to Fi simply to shut off the beeping.
That is nearly the only reason I talk to her. Come on, you know what she wants when you're low on health and if it's not that, Fi is like when somebody says "Open the door to your right". You turn right and then she comes: "There is a chance of 88% that is the door that person was talking of."

I don't need to comment on what I think of such comments...

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
What if we spent a game without the companion all together. If they need to have it in there, maybe link is looking for his companion. In MM he seems to be looking for Navi when he stumbles across termina. The thing then is that the companion turns into tatl. I think tatl was pretty good, but was a cross between navi and Fi, although tatl was pretty useful at times. The ringing sound was kind of annoying though...(how come I don't usually hear about tatl being annoying. It's navi,navi,navi all day long)

I agree with the aforementioned ideas presented by TheBlueReptile. There should be options implemented in the next installment regarding the assistance characters. There could also perhaps be a manual available to read at will on the Start Menu or something to that effect. A small pop-up info window similar to the one featured in Skyward Sword would be neat as well; you know, like the one set to the 2 button...

I don't think it'd be a good idea to take away the faithful companion. Perhaps the idea could use a bit of tweaking, yes, but I don't think it should be removed altogether. If anything, there could be a sort of companion that speaks via "walkie-talkie." By walkie-talkie, I am referring to a sort of system in which a character could speak to Link from afar through a sort of portable, primitive device, much like the Pirate's Charm that WW Link carried around. If pseudo-audible dialog is added to the companion character next time around, then, I hope its pleasant to the ears. This was a major complaint among fans with regards to both Fi and Navi (gibberish and Hey!). I had no qualms with either of the aforementioned assist characters, though.

Another idea I've had in mind that builds off my previous paragraph is a difficulty option. The player could choose between Hero or Beginner modes, and that could in turn tie into how tutorial options are shown. These options should be available from the start. In Beginner Mode, options could be mandatory, or options could be more limited. There could also be limited options in cutscenes, but not so excessive to the point of annoyance. For Hero Mode, there could be options catered to veteran gamers. This might include, but wouldn't be limited to, the option to skip and or remove tutorials and cutscenes. You could also limit the 'interruptions' by the assistant character and toggle their "warning noise" (i.e. the beeping, etc.)

MW7

Or, do they seriously not understand what they're doing is idiotic and nobody appreciates it?

This because I doubt Nintendo would be sadistic to their fans. They really need to let a couple of fans who aren't afraid to criticize give feedback on the game before releasing it. Look at what Axle wrote in his review of Skyward Sword. He alone could have made Skyward Sword way better with just a five minute chat with the game designers.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Is this done intentionally? Yes, but not for the reason (purely to annoy us) Koosholts mentioned. They implement tons of instruction in their games so that new players can catch on much faster. I feel it's also worth noting that the games are developed in Japan, so the tutorials might be considered a courtesy there. But here it's not so courteous, and is in fact moreso annoying. Even when it reaches Nintendo of America's office they don't seem to do much with it except translate the text and apply the necessary words to fit the situation.

But yeah, they went all out on Skyward Sword, intentionally, because we're moving into a new field. I'm hoping they saved the tutorial for SS and will reduce it a lot in the next installment, with motion controls or using their sizey control tablets.

Beeker

Wild Card
Of course it is done intentionally. Not for the reason of getting on our nerves, but to cater to other audiences other than us. Keep in mind that Nintendo is still trying to bring in casual players and bring them into the series. I'm sure that a game that gives guidance(even if it is a lot) is better than one that just drops you in without telling anything. Yes, they could have toned it down just a little, and I believe they should for the next game. Someone on the level of Tatl or Navi I think would be the best way to handle it, since they only talk to you occasionally and still give great advice.

Do you think that Nintendo intentionally does this because they know we get so frustrated with it? Think of it like they're just playing a joke on us by implementing these "hand walk you through the game" sections.
Absolutely not. I'm not sure how someone could seriously consider this possibility. Nintendo, despite all its quirks, is a business, and a professional one. They are in this to make money, and trying to annoy their customers would not factor into that. The idea that they are doing it on purpose just isn't plausible in any way.

Or, do they seriously not understand what they're doing is idiotic and nobody appreciates it?
Actually also false. It's not completely idiotic and people do appreciate it; it's designed for the people who do have trouble figuring these parts of the games out and do need direction, and I 100% guarantee you that not only do they exist, but that there are plenty of them. It also needs to be stated that the Wii, with its broad appeal to non-gamers, is even more used by these less experienced game players. They are also not the types who will be joining internet forums to express their thoughts with other fans, so you won't be hearing from them as much either. Nintendo is tapping a demographic, and I promise you it's working out well for them.

Aside from that, sure, they are probably pretty unaware of how easily they could avoid the problem and strike a good compromise; just make things more optional. I favor Metal Gear Solid or Mega Man X6-8 and their methods of doing hints. Sometimes you'll have messages from your helpers or companions, and while a few (mostly story related) are compulsory, plenty of them are not. You get a notification, but you have to press a button to receive the message and if you pass up that area, then the notification goes away. It's an easy fix and would make everyone happy.

Look at what Axle wrote in his review of Skyward Sword. He alone could have made Skyward Sword way better with just a five minute chat with the game designers.
Not to sound highly arrogant, but I totally agree. :bleh:

Not all of the partners were bad. I loved Midna and tattl wasn't bad. Navi was bearable, but Fi did annoy me a bit. I think Nintendo thought SS was harder than it really was and wanted to help out the fans more, thus Fi was born. I have nothing against talkative companions, but it did get old quickly when Fi would tell you about your low batteries, even though the flahsing red battery icon came up in the corner of your screen.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
her % chance thing wouldn't have been so bad if ONCE she was wrong. sure there's a 90% chance it's where i need to go, but that's 10% it could be a red herring and i end up walking into a trap.
the Remote battery level was another annoying one.

her % chance thing wouldn't have been so bad if ONCE she was wrong. sure there's a 90% chance it's where i need to go, but that's 10% it could be a red herring and i end up walking into a trap.
the Remote battery level was another annoying one.

I believe the percentage thing was more of a sort of personality quirk than an actual prediction of probability of something. For example, there was that one time where Fi tells you that there is a 3% chance that the Kikwi is NOT Zelda. I dunno about you, but to me that was hilarious. It was a nice touch, seeing as how robotic Fi can often be. It seems to have been a design quirk added to make Fi seem like a supercomputer type being or something. It might also have been thrown in there to further draw contrasts between she and the highly emotive Ghirahim. (Fi = emotionless | Ghirahim = highly emotive and flamboyant) I agree with most fans about her notifications, though; perhaps they could have been toned down a bit.

You have talking to every intelligent being in the universe? On top of that they ALL agree that nobody likes the companions? I'm kidding, but I had make fun of that statement's over exaggeration.:):):):)

Night Owl

~Momentai
I know people who would be lost even with being hand walked through a Zelda game. (I had to help a friend through spirit tracks a lot.)
As far as tutorials go, a lot of Skyward Sword's tutorials were optional. Like the sword, roll, lift, carry, sheild, were optional if you didn't talk to the person. (the sword one you could walk out the door with the sword without practicing.) TPs was terrible with tutorials at the beginning.

Nintendo does need to cater to old pro's a little bit though. An option at the beginning to choose between pro and beginner would be a nice touch. with fewer helps, messages, etc. in pro mode. ( keeping the shiekah stone for emergencies though.)
That would be nice.

You mean a 3% chance the kikwi IS Zelda? :P

Yeah, that's totes what I meant to say. [noparse]:P[/noparse] I was intending to take the "NO" out, but it slipped my mind. Anyway I agree that Fi would have been a perfect companion if it weren't for Nintendo's fear that Skyward Sword'd be too difficult for newcomers. In regards to the "hand holding," here's hoping for options in the next installment. :yes:

I absolutely despise this recent trend of hand-holding in recent Zelda games. All of these health warnings and item pop-up screens are clearly intentional. Skyward Sword especially catered to younger as well as inexperienced gamers or in other words the more casual crowd Nintendo has been endeavoring to strike a chord with the Nintendo DS and Wii. Honestly, we don't need the same screen announcing you collected this and that special rupee or bug every time you boot up your system. Referring to Skyward Sword specifically here, it's a fine game but it's things like this that make me hesitant to return to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom