• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You See Yourself As a Gamer in Ten Years Time?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I know we're all a part of a gaming forum, but ten years is a long time and a lot could change including hobbies. I'm asking this simply because over the last few years I've went from impulsively buying most new games on sight to where now I even hesitate to buy games from series I already love. It's got to the point where the actual "playing" part has got sort of boring for me. I still like talking about certain games, but I don't even fit the definition of a gamer anymore.

So what about you guys, do you see yourself losing interest in gaming in ten years time or do you think you'll still be interested whether it be just as a pass time or even a full time passion.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I can totally relate to you. I have lost the allure to games, especially new ones. If I do play a game, it's usually one I've played many times before or a new one that I've been looking forward too (Zelda Wii U being the only one that is on that list currently). Although even with old classics I can't go for longer than 2 hours without starting to get suicide thoughts. In ten years I'd guess it'd be the same thing, I'll play some classics now and then before getting bored again. I still like to discuss some games though, it's always fun to exchange some thoughts and get a broader perspective on things.

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
Gaming is basically my lifestyle. I don't ever plan on losing it. And in 10 years time when I am married I'll still be playing! And I'll keep buying next-generation consoles and games. Until then I'll keep gaming on. And I pictured myself how I'd end up: I end up like that British granny I saw on YouTube the other day. :lol:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Definitely. If anything I play more games now than I ever used to and I've been enjoying them way more too; triple A games are more epic and cinematic than ever before, and the Indies are creating some of the most unique, innovative titles I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I felt there was a small down-period I wasn't really enjoying games but that's definitely gone, my back-log of games I have to play is depressingly large and there's so many games in the future I want to play I just wish I had more time! Steam constantly throws amazing games at me at prices I just can't say no to.

So, will I be a gamer in 10 years? I can't see any conceivable reason why I wouldn't. :) Love gaming and it's showing no signs of slowing down for me. Love it so much I've made it my career! I doubt I'll be looking for a career change in 10 years time either.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Gaming actually isn't my number one hobby. Apart from maybe my pre-teen years, it never was. I stil love it, still buy games, still have hour-long playsessions (certain games are really only worth playing if you can devote a few hours at a time). But it isn't my priority. I game for fun, but fandoms are my passion.

Also, the way I game has changed a little in the past year. I've started getting into table top gaming, I go to weekly game nights with friends I've made through this hobby. I'm really enjoying the social aspect of table top gaming, something I don't really have in video games - because video games for me are primarily a solitary experience - most of my favourite games aren't really made for more than one player to immerse themselves at a time. So I've started dividing my time between the two mediums. If I want to be social, I pick a table top game to enjoy - if I'm on my own and feel like gaming - I'll choose a video game.

Where do I see myself as a gamer in the future? Well, I think I'll probably keep up with my new table top interest, and build up a collection of games and continue to attend regular gaming nights. I enjoy the social aspect, how it puts me in contact with new people, and how welcome I feel in the gaming group. I've gotten several family members into some of the games I've played and bought - which is a nice way for us to spend time together as a group. It's a nice way to gather friends in general, as there are games pretty much for every person out there.

With video games, I will most likely still game, but I'm not sure how much I will keep up with future console generations. I mean, I have trust in Nintendo, and they have a tendency to deliver quality stuff, so I will probably keep up with their consoles and first party games - but I just don't feel much interest towards neither the PS4 nor the XBone. Both are immensely expencive, overly focused on online multiplayer (something I just don't have much interest in), I haven't really seen games for them that I'm interested in playing - even the new Fable game isn't overly enticing for me, since it's such a different take than the original trilogy. But more importantly - I feel very content with the consoles I already have. So I can't really see myself adopting the next gen consoles apart from Nintendo.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I have an ever-narrowing set of gaming interests. I doubt I'll ever stop playing video games, but I doubt they'll occupy more than a few hours of my time in the average week.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I've never considered myself a gamer, besides maybe during my pre-teen years. I hardly ever play video games anymore, only a couple hours a month or so. If a new game comes out that I enjoy, I play the hell out of it until I beat it once, then I pretty much put it aside forever. And there are only a select few new games that I actually end up picking up. I don't see this changing in 10 years; if anything, I'll be gaming even less by then.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I see my self gaming just as much (all thought that's still not a whole lot) in ten years.
It is just a nice stress relief and relaxing.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I definitely think so. I may not be a mainstream gamer at 33 years old haha but I'll still be keeping up with each new generation.
Like Misskitten said, gaming isn't my number one hobby or a priority either. It comes near the end of the spectrum of things I make time to do daily, but I doubt I'd give it up completely.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I've been playing games for 16 years and I'll be playing when I'm a grandpa.
I see old bored people in their care homes, and i just think if only they had an xbox, they could have so much joy. I know the wii is actually popular in some homes, but I see gaming with the elderly as something that will become more and more prevalent as the years go on.

as long as I don't develop serious arthritis then definitely!

Hopefully we will be able to control games with our minds by then.:lol:

D

Deleted member 14134

I think there'll be a point in life where I quit/slow down if I ever have a family and raise kids but I can see myself starting up again after.

Goddamnit, JC. I promised myself that I wouldn't tarnish my beauteous 4,000 posts until one year from now, but then you post this thread. Oh well, onto 5000. Sigh.

To be honest, I'm not really much of a gamer anymore. I used to skip class and pull all-nighters on a regular basis throughout middle and highschool, playing dozens of videogames. Nowadays I hardly even qualify as a 'casual gamer' anymore. Well there was that one massive spike in gaming activity I had a while back, but I actually wound up only completing ¼ of the games I bought. However, I do keep up on the latest games if they interest me enough, and I am a fighting game fanatic—I can spends hours upon hours watching FG tournaments on YouTube and NicoNico. I've even considered watching Hyrule Warriors on YouTube since I'm likely not going to be able to afford a WiiU anytime soon, let alone HW. That's another thing, even if I wanted to, I probably won't be able to afford to be a gamer ten years hence.

Yes. I see myself with Carple tunnel, bad eye site and 100 pounds more. yelling at my TV from the frustration of Mario Kart 18 rubberband AI

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom