• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Make Fun of Depressed People?

Dan

Bicurious and stuff- anyway I want you all to put your honesty caps on and tell me, do you ever make fun of people that have depressive moments, I take swift looks at the depressed thread once and awhile only to walk away depressed myself, not because the posts of these depressed people but the posts of the non-depressed, I just... just it makes me sick you know, I'm not going to say names but it was a girl beginning with I, and well.... I just feel so sick just looking back at that post, I'm just.... lost for words... i think it's terrible people have to go in that thread and be so mean, but going out wider into the world I've noticed in REALZ life, that when people are often down on their luck others turn into vultures going for some roadkill, once again it makes me sick, I cannot believe people do this!!!!!

I don't understand why exactly people often turn into attack mode when someone is sad, needless to say bit harsh.

I remember a man cried because his dog died and everyone in the pub just beat on him, literally he had to go to hospital.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Hell no, and if somebody does then they better have proof that the person they're making fun of is faking depression or should say nothing at all on the subject, hmph. As an Empath I am capable of feeling the pain and emotions of others, and I've come by a lot of depressed and hurt people in my time, after feeling what they feel I can honestly say it's nothing to really joke about. I always try to help out people who are depressed if I can, it can really mean a lot to them after all, knowing that at least one person cares.

ILU

i luv u
Depends on what you mean by "depressed."

To give you an honest reply, I'd say no, I would never make fun of a depressed person. However, I may say something snarky toward an individual who is overdramatic and self-absorbed with an insignificant problem. Let me give you some examples:

1) I won't pretend to understand the trials of my elders, but there is a man at work who is married and has 5 kids. He has to work two jobs and his wife doesn't work because the kids are still very young. So he's dead-tired all the time and dragging himself around to get the job done. His wife's ex-husband refuses to pay child support, so things are tough. Sometimes he can't even eat lunch because he can't afford it. All the stress is bad for their relationship and divorce is a serious thought for him right now. As you might guess, he is very depressed, and he complains. I can't understand his situation, but I can understand that he is very depressed, because I see him suffer.

2) My aunt just died and left behind three children, one is about 20 and the others are still little kids. The oldest is barely holding together. His best friend had just died, and now his mother. Just before his mother died, his parents had split up. Now he is living alone and can't find time to recover from his losses because he's too busy trying to be there for his younger siblings, and THEY are falling apart mentally. THIS guy is depressed.

3) My neighbor at my old house was around 50 or something and had a mentally handicapped daughter. The daughter was around 30, but 15 mentally. This woman loved her daughter very much but was still raising an adult woman. She had no life because of it, and was always depressed. She ultimately decided to put her daughter in a home for the mentally handicapped because she was no longer physically able to care for her. As you might imagine, she was very depressed. I felt really bad for her, and she was always outside crying on her porch.

4) I've met a lot of people are are depressed due to hormonal/chemical imbalances rather than life situations, and I feel just as bad for these people because they don't have control over it and have to take medication just to be normal. A lot of the time, it doesn't help, or they spend a lot of time screwing with their body's balances just to find the right dose. It's terrible for them. :/

THESE kinds of things... I would NEVER make fun of them for. And sure there are a lot of less dramatic situations where people are just depressed because they got dumped, they failed a test, something was lost or stolen, etc. I can understand those things too. But sometimes people say they're "depressed" because their parents are OMGSOMEAN or they got in a stupid fight with their friends or other stuff that really isn't a big deal. If they're sad, that's fine. But if they get all whiny about it and won't shut up about it when it's something that's not a big deal.... yeah, then I might point out that they're being a whiner and should look at the world around them and find something to be happy about. Things like that hardly warrant being labeled as "depressed." I feel that depression is a serious issue, and little problems shouldn't be labeled as such so easily.

Dan

Depends on what you mean by "depressed."

To give you an honest reply, I'd say no, I would never make fun of a depressed person. However, I may say something snarky toward an individual who is overdramatic and self-absorbed with an insignificant problem. Let me give you some examples:

1) I won't pretend to understand the trials of my elders, but there is a man at work who is married and has 5 kids. He has to work two jobs and his wife doesn't work because the kids are still very young. So he's dead-tired all the time and dragging himself around to get the job done. His wife's ex-husband refuses to pay child support, so things are tough. Sometimes he can't even eat lunch because he can't afford it. All the stress is bad for their relationship and divorce is a serious thought for him right now. As you might guess, he is very depressed, and he complains. I can't understand his situation, but I can understand that he is very depressed, because I see him suffer.

2) My aunt just died and left behind three children, one is about 20 and the others are still little kids. The oldest is barely holding together. His best friend had just died, and now his mother. Just before his mother died, his parents had split up. Now he is living alone and can't find time to recover from his losses because he's too busy trying to be there for his younger siblings, and THEY are falling apart mentally. THIS guy is depressed.

3) My neighbor at my old house was around 50 or something and had a mentally handicapped daughter. The daughter was around 30, but 15 mentally. This woman loved her daughter very much but was still raising an adult woman. She had no life because of it, and was always depressed. She ultimately decided to put her daughter in a home for the mentally handicapped because she was no longer physically able to care for her. As you might imagine, she was very depressed. I felt really bad for her, and she was always outside crying on her porch.

4) I've met a lot of people are are depressed due to hormonal/chemical imbalances rather than life situations, and I feel just as bad for these people because they don't have control over it and have to take medication just to be normal. A lot of the time, it doesn't help, or they spend a lot of time screwing with their body's balances just to find the right dose. It's terrible for them. :/

THESE kinds of things... I would NEVER make fun of them for. And sure there are a lot of less dramatic situations where people are just depressed because they got dumped, they failed a test, something was lost or stolen, etc. I can understand those things too. But sometimes people say they're "depressed" because their parents are OMGSOMEAN or they got in a stupid fight with their friends or other stuff that really isn't a big deal. If they're sad, that's fine. But if they get all whiny about it and won't shut up about it when it's something that's not a big deal.... yeah, then I might point out that they're being a whiner and should look at the world around them and find something to be happy about. Things like that hardly warrant being labeled as "depressed." I feel that depression is a serious issue, and little problems shouldn't be labeled as such so easily.

Thanks for the post, mind if i use it in my presentation tomorrow?

ILU

i luv u
Thanks for the post, mind if i use it in my presentation tomorrow?
I'm not sure what you mean.... For school? ...On a Saturday? ...strange, but ok, if it'll help somehow. ^_^;

Dan

I'm not sure what you mean.... For school? ...On a Saturday? ...strange, but ok, if it'll help somehow. ^_^;

No it's for my girlfriend, we have been in arguments for weeks over this, and I'm going to finally change her mind, go the full mile by using a powerpoint presentation, it will even include a piechart.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Depression is never funny, it's a very debilitating thing for people to go through, some get depressed because of stressful/painful things they've been forced to go through, others because of chemical imbalances in their bodies. Neither of that should ever be amusing to others. I think I have some kind of light variation of it, as sometimes my emotions just seem to plummet down a black hole, everything good in my life seems miles away and I find myself incapable of thinking positive thoughts (there never seems to be any specific reason for it).

Thankfully for me personally, this only lasts 1-2 hours and then whatever went wrong rights itself (I suspect temporary chemical imbalance that my body is able to rectify without external help), and because it has always passed within 1-2 hours, I have managed to use my logical side to remind myself that everything that I'm feeling will pass shortly, and I just withdraw from company until I'm good again (because there honestly isn't anything the other person can say or do to make it better, so it's better not to burden them with it as it's happening). Another reason I will classify my own situation as a light variation of depression is because after talking to my mom about it, I've learned that both she and my grandpa had it like that, too, so it seems to be genetic.

I have friends, however, who struggle with much worse cases, and knowing that I am beyond grateful that mine is so maintainable.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Like ILU said there is true depression and "omg my girlfriend just broke up with me" i.e. a significant problem and first world type problems. So, your pencil broke, you failed a test, or maybe you were grounded and didn't get to see that movie last night with the chick you unwittingly chatted up. Well, I can understand why you'd be ticked off, mad, irritated, volatile whatever. However I honestly don't think you have any cause to say you're depressed because of that. So, yes, I do make fun of people who claim depression over things that are first worldly.

But then there are people who are literally in anguish due to malnourishment, some people whose parents split up or are constantly arguing and they get caught in crossfire, people who can't afford next week for their child and have to decide for themselves or their child, etc. You know, significant problems. Those guys have cause to claim depression imo and I don't make of those.

I'd like to add, though, that there's a huge difference between

"My boyfriend broke up with me! /wrists"
and
"My boyfriend broke up with me! Now I can't afford to pay rent with my job! /wrists"

:I

I remember a man cried because his dog died and everyone in the pub just beat on him, literally he had to go to hospital.
I must say, I hate people at times. :/

I try not to make fun of people who are depressed. It irritates me when non-depressed people take depression lightly; I know some people use it as an excuse to get compliments and the like, but there are people who really can't function because of their depression.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
No. I have a bit of experience of knowing how depression feels, and I've got made fun of while in it sometimes. I don't want anyone else to feel that way.

Dan

I must say, I hate people at times. :/

I try not to make fun of people who are depressed. It irritates me when non-depressed people take depression lightly; I know some people use it as an excuse to get compliments and the like, but there are people who really can't function because of their depression.

Wtf this is just... because you hate someone it makes it right to put them in the hospital!?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I don't make fun of anyone for anything. Maybe "depressed" isn't the right word to use for the emotion felt after your favorite band broke up or your boyfriend dumped you, but people are allowed to be upset or distressed, and I'd never make fun of them for that.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
NO I will never do that because I never joke about depression at all..
I have major depressive disorder and the episodes happen maybe once a month or every other month.
to depression is nothing to joke about and if someone is depressed even a little bit you are not to kick them when the are down because you just never know what can send them over the edge.
This is something that I get passionate about because it hits so close to home to me. I have lost family to suicide so i'll just freak out if anyone feels depressed if they are suicidal or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom