• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you like the title? Can you come up with a better one?

"Breath of the Wild?

• Woo!

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Ugh

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
I'm curious, what makes you think of that? That just seems kind of random. It'd be like if I said "Call of the Wild" makes me think my phone. I mean, I don't know. I don't think I get why that's a problem.
When most people hear breath they think of "bad breath" or halitosis or something along those lines. Others in this thread have also said that's what it reminds them of too. "Call" can refer to beckoning, shouting, things of that nature. "Call" isn't as synonymous to "phone call", as there are many different contexts you can use "call" in. With breath I can think of 3. "Fresh breath", "bad breath", and "breath of fresh air". I'm not saying using the word breath is a problem, I'm just explaining the mental image I see when hearing the word breath.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I think the only potential problem with the title is that - as some have already mentioned - it's rather generic, not easily identifiable and is likely to be misquoted a *lot*. People will be calling it Call of the Wild, Breath of the Wind, Breath of the World, etc. And just hearing it doesn't conjure up ... anything in my mind- though I can assume that it fits the general theme of the adventure adequately.

But take Ocarina of Time... okay, out of context that title makes no freaking sense. But assuming you're not already perplexed as to whatever the blazes an Ocarina is, you jump immediately to wondering wtf Ocarinas and the concept of Time could ever possibly have in common. Heck, if the spirit of Zelda is in exploration and discovery, then discerning the meaning of the NAME of the adventure fits right in with that concept. Also bizarre names like this are immediately memorable. Ninty should know. They named their consumer electronic device the Wii.

I, along with quite a few people apparently, also misread it as Breath of the Wind at first. I guess the word "breath" kind of flows better with wind than with wild, really. My main concern, however, is that I live in a majority German-speaking country, where no-one will be able to pronounce breath correctly. Most of my friends just call it "breathe" of the wild, and claim not to hear the difference! Maybe Nintendo should have translated the title to different languages instead of just doing it for English.
I think the title quite fits the game, especially during the reveal trailer, when the title is introduced as a sort of "breath" (i.e. wind) while in front of wild scenery. It's a fitting title, to be honest.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Maybe something to do with everything being dead?
LoZ: Calamity's Reach
LoZ: The Broken Blade
LoZ: Reign of Darkness
LoZ: Centennial Link
LoZ: Corruption's Claim
LoZ: Link's Ipad Apps

Pretty neutral on it thus far, seems like it fits the idea of the openness of the game though. So as long as the game is great I'd say within a few years I'll look at it as iconic.

I like the title, but to come up with another is no easy feat. I would need to know more about the central plot before I can do that.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I like the title I think it makes it feel so much more open worldey thanothers, but maybe that's just me.
Even something like "Call of the Wild" sounds better to me
Call of the wild just sounds like someone needs to pee while out on a hike!

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
To me, when I say a word in my head I unconsciously see an image associated with that word. "Of the wild" is fine, I can definitely picture rolling hills and vast landscapes there. But "breath?" To me, breath is kind of a gross word. Not only does the word sound just kind of weird, but it makes me think of... bad breath. Like, halitosis. Not a good moniker for possibly the best Zelda game we've had for a while, in my opinion.
I definitely don't get that same from the word "breath." I think of myself breathing, and it makes me think more of being very alive. I find it very fitting for the new survival aspects game. It also brings to mind all of the spiritual meanings behind the word.

The thing I like most about this title above what most people come up with is that it refrains from sounding too generic. I remember reading that fake rumor about The Legend of Zelda: Shards of Nightmare, and I rolled my eyes.
- Shard/Crystal = every fantasy ever since the dawn of fiction.
- Nightmare = trying to be dark and edgy.
Breath of the Wild manages to be quite unique, and it makes sense to me.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
To be honest, I had mixed feelings about the title originally, but in the past while it has grown on me. It seems like a major goal in creating this game was to totally re-imagine what makes a Zelda game "Zelda" and to take a step back from traditional conventions. Choosing a broad title like BotW is the first step. Plus, I don't think the word choices are that terrible; they're rather fitting to what we know about the game thus far.

I guess breath of the wild has grown on me a little better now, I dunno. Back before the name was announced I would have been happy for the name to have just be "The Legend of Zelda," but I guess that would have caused confusion when people were talking about the 1st game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom