• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Jokes Because of What They Are or Because Of The Actual Joke Itself?

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I was thinking: There are a lot of types of humor I don't find funny. However, oddly enough, I like things with that type of humor in them. I realized that it's not neccecarily the humor I don't like, it's just how it's used. I don't think things are funny just because of what they are, but the contrary is true also. So, I was wondering, are things funny just because of what they are? Or do they have to be well thought out, and only certain ones you find funny? I would also like your opinion on this matter. Discuss.

(Also I'm pretty sure this is the 666 thread. Just want to point that out.)

Edit: I am talking about jokes on television and in movies.

An example for me is GameGrumps. I find GameGrumps hilarious; I watch it every single day right when the episodes come out. However, to me, it seems really odd that I like it. If you knew me, you would know that I absolutly hate inappropriate humor. And if you've ever seen GameGrumps, you would know that that is a lot of what the jokes are. I think that might be because in my everyday life, the inappropriate jokes that are getting thrown at me are from my guy friends, and the jokes are completly stupid "That's what she said" jokes. So, there is my example. Might help you better understand this thread.

Last edited:

Blue Canary

Why was this moved? I should of specified I meant in terms of jokes on television and in movies. I meant like, do you find a show or movie funny just based on what type of jokes or not?

Chiraku

Demon slayer
From E.B. White and I paraphrase;
'You can dissect humor just as you could a frog, but they both die in the process'.

Seriously, don't overthink it. Big mistake.

Blue Canary

From E.B. White and I paraphrase;
'You can dissect humor just as you could a frog, but they both die in the process'.

Seriously, don't overthink it. Big mistake.

I'm not overthinking it. I'm just asking wether you like a joke because of what it's about or because of the joke itself. Also, I think the quote is "Dissecting a joke is like dissecting a frog; nobody wants to see that and the frog dies."

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Either I find something funny or I don't. Someone I find funny can pull a bad joke that I don't find funny and the opposite; someone I generally don't find funny can come up with a good joke from time to time.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I have a very dirty mind, and as such, I find a lot of sexual jokes and innuendos absolutely hilarious. Why? I don't know, it's just the type of humour I was raised around. Although I think it's kind of the opposite to what the OP is asking, because I laugh more at dirty jokes that I hear IRL than I do in movies and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom