• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you hate Zombie Apocalypse movies or games?

I think its more, i just hate the panic mongering entertainment is all. Like Last of Us, Walking Dead etc. Its just so annoying.

One example of apocalyptic world i kinda like is stuff such as "Beneath a Steel Sky" because its more a wow scenario of a dystopian world. But its not purely panic mongering, its probably what i hate the most. But having to live daily in this type of world, now thats way more interesting to look at

if its reasonable and not too scary im ok with it....
Also. I just dont think its realistic even. Even if we can argue its like the Corona pandemic, i still think authority figures would send them to a remote location, the sane ones and just murder the zombies.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I don't hate them but I don't really see the appeal anymore. I think they're hard to work into good premises, and that at this point the idea of a zombie apocalypse is kinda romanticized in a strange ways that deflect the horror of the situation.

Nobody is scared of the idea of being chased by basically a bunch of immortal sluggish monsters and converted into one anymore. Most of the media nowadays seems to focus on either the horror aspect that human selfish and desire for survival would cause (i.e. The Walking Dead or The Last of Us) or a extremely comical interpretation of it, where people are nonchalant and even use it for entertainment (Zombieland and Dead Rising).

The previous decade we were spammed by tons of memes where people fantasized on what they'd do if they were in a zombie apocalypse, and at this rate it's kind of a desired dystopia (??) rather than something that still entices a fear among people. It just got bland? So yea, just find it boring.

I think Resident Evil is the only zombie outbreak type media I've gotten into, the idea doesn't interest me otherwise
Only think its because they are well written character and not the panic mongering crap like Last of Us or Walking Dead etc

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Only think its because they are well written character and not the panic mongering crap like Last of Us or Walking Dead etc
Would very much disagree. I love the RE franchise to bits, but their story and characters are pretty terrible and mostly one note until they did the reboot (though I will concede that 7 and 8 did some decent characterisation). And even in the reboots there’s something not quite right about them.

As for the actual topic, I agree with Farore’s Chosen: they’re just oversaturated at this point. Zombie movies have never really been a must see for me, but there are many zombie movies I enjoy. Same with apocalypse movies. Zombie apocalypse on the other hand is mostly a snooze fest. I only really like it in a handful of things I’ve watched and played and even then it can overstay its welcome pretty quickly.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I never understood the complaint that zombie/post apocalyptic stories specifically are "oversaturated" like it's somehow detrimental to the concept itself. What isn't oversaturated these days? Sci-fi? Fantasy? Superheroes? FPS? RPGs? Romantic Comedies? The list goes on and on. There's so many ways you can tackle a zombie apocalypse just like there's so many ways to approach any genre.

Speaking on games alone, we have stuff like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Days Gone, The Last of Us, Telltale's The Walking Dead, and House of the Dead. Yet, none of these games are even remotely similar and offer completely unique experiences from one another. It's a concept you either like or don't, just like RPGs/J-RPGs which I get tired of seeing flood gaming events because it's not for me, but it's great that people who like that sort of thing have so much of it to choose from.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I never understood the complaint that zombie/post apocalyptic stories specifically are "oversaturated" like it's somehow detrimental to the concept itself. What isn't oversaturated these days? Sci-fi? Fantasy? Superheroes? FPS? RPGs? Romantic Comedies? The list goes on and on. There's so many ways you can tackle a zombie apocalypse just like there's so many ways to approach any genre.

Speaking on games alone, we have stuff like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Days Gone, The Last of Us, Telltale's The Walking Dead, and House of the Dead. Yet, none of these games are even remotely similar and offer completely unique experiences from one another. It's a concept you either like or don't, just like RPGs/J-RPGs which I get tired of seeing flood gaming events because it's not for me, but it's great that people who like that sort of thing have so much of it to choose from.
[[I’m gonna take the bait, but I may not reply to any responses. Fair warning.]]

It’s pretty easy to point at games that stand out from the throng of media as exceptions to the rule and that’s because that is exactly what they are: exceptions to the rule. In actuality, a lot of zombie media are almost carbon copies of each other with just a different character set. There are only so many virus/fungal/outbreak/cosmic radiation causes zombie apocalypse stories that cause people to need to survive I can take before the similarities get boring. All the games you mention are zombie apocalypse second and other concepts first. They all cross over into different genres. Last of Us is a cinematic drama experience, as is Telltale’s Walking Dead. Compare that to the other licensed Walking Dead games and you might as well be playing a generic shooter with Walking Dead paint slapped onto it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom