• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you find knights romantic?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
ummm no cuz they have to spend ages getting in the suit and outa agin and you've lost the mood!

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
no, i don't
latest

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Knights have become more like icons really. An idol. Something to aspire to. As more of a concept than a literal thing, they can embody all of the unrealistic traits and qualities ascribed to them. This is how Jedi knights come to be revered in Star Wars. This is how Samurai and the Knight in Shining Armor come to be romanticized in modern and ancient fiction, folklore and literature. This is why Link is often portrayed as a knight in a vague sense. As a blank slate for players to inhabit, this allows them to aspire to be something commonly known to be heroic, adventurous and courageous while they're playing as Link.

So in that sense, romanticizing knights works well in fiction. In reality of course knights and samurai were much different. They were brutal thugs killers rapists and genocidal maniacs who served their masters unquestioningly in return for special privilages. Nothing romantic about that.

But do people idolize knights? I say yes. If the knight is a literary construct, then comic book superheroes certainly fit the bill. People idolize batman (who is literally referred to as the dark knight), superman, spiderman, teenage mutant ninja turtles, punisher, daredevil, james bond... who embody many of the chivalric virtues and resemble the knight as used as a literary trope. So yes. People do find knights romantic. In a sense, of course. Depends on how you define "romantic" in this context. But in terms of idolizing something. yes. they do.

I'm a big batman fan. I wouldn't ask him out to dinner but I do like to imagine how cool it would be to be batman and be a hero :)

Feverish

Source of stink
I don't find knights romantic myself, but I can see why their concept is romantic. Women tend to want a man they can lean on, and a knight is made to do that from the get-go.

WinterWolf

Gerudo Theif
It's a romantic notion to have/be a knight in shining armor, but I can fight my own battles.
I don't like dealing with problems that aren't mine and I don't like to force my partner to deal with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom