• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you ever preorder for bonuses?

Most preorders arent worth it and if you preorder for bonuses those bonuses usually end up being free later down the line anyway.

Special editions can often be quite nice to have but are rarely worth the money. But you'll never know if you dont preorder it. Try finding the Black Box edition of Nier Automata for a reasonable price, for example, I dare you.

So, are you on board with bonuses for preorders? Do you buy into the business model or do you not care unless its something you deem worthwhile?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I used to preorder for bonuses a lot. Nowadays I'm more inclined to not do so as it's likely some extra plastic thing thrown in that cost them ten cents to make (but adds something like $20 to the price) that'll sit in my cupboard forever. Something would have to be really cool for me to want a limited edition now.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't buy into the whole pre-order bonus crap. It's very sh*tty to withhold stuff just to entice day one sales. But it's even ****tier when different stores offer different content because you're getting screwed out of stuff regardless of a day one purchase. Though, that doesn't mean pre-order bonus content doesn't interest me. So what I typically do is pre-order the game from multiple stores, pick them up, redeem the content, and just return the games until I'm ready to buy it.

From what I have seen, NA gets the absolute worst preorder bonuses possible.
You have obviously not been to Australia and New Zealand.
Sometimes the UK lucks out too, but of recent they have been pretty good.

We Australians would love to get pre-order bonuses as good at the US does. Add in the better Collectors Editions the US gets and the special events in the US where you get more loot. Oh and they have the Nintendo Store in the US too. Also non Nintendo games, on the PS4 get better pre-order bonuses in the US too many times.

That's even if Australia gets the game at all. Quite a few games are released in the US physically with pre-order bonuses but only digitally here in Australia/NZ.
I'll take the US, bad in your opinion, pre-order bonuss over the many times nothing we get here in Australia.

I'll take your small poster over a the tiny magnet or the nothing that we get in Australia/NZ.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Only 2 games I ever preordered were Splatoon 2, and Breath of The Wild.

Neither came with bonuses.

Djinn

and Tonic
You have obviously not been to Australia and New Zealand.
Sometimes the UK lucks out too, but of recent they have been pretty good.

We Australians would love to get pre-order bonuses as good at the US does. Add in the better Collectors Editions the US gets and the special events in the US where you get more loot. Oh and they have the Nintendo Store in the US too. Also non Nintendo games, on the PS4 get better pre-order bonuses in the US too many times.

That's even if Australia gets the game at all. Quite a few games are released in the US physically with pre-order bonuses but only digitally here in Australia/NZ.
I'll take the US, bad in your opinion, pre-order bonuss over the many times nothing we get here in Australia.

I'll take your small poster over a the tiny magnet or the nothing that we get in Australia/NZ.
I think the main advantage here is that the Nintendo representatives are walking loot crates. When I worked at Toys R Us we had a Nintendo rep that showed up once a month but they always had boxes of giveaway stuff on hand for reason that were never ever made clear. Because they did not drop any of it off at any location they visited for anything. But if any employee or customer found then they could ask for some.

I got a lot of things like stuffed 1up mushroom and koopa, some collector gold coin, lots of pins, couple t shirts, a Link bobble head, and a little master sword,

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I think the main advantage here is that the Nintendo representatives are walking loot crates. When I worked at Toys R Us we had a Nintendo rep that showed up once a month but they always had boxes of giveaway stuff on hand for reason that were never ever made clear. Because they did not drop any of it off at any location they visited for anything. But if any employee or customer found then they could ask for some.

I got a lot of things like stuffed 1up mushroom and koopa, some collector gold coin, lots of pins, couple t shirts, a Link bobble head, and a little master sword

Now THAT is lucky.

It's like having a PokeStop next to your house back when Pokemon Go was a thing

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Preordering is one of the dumbest decisions you will ever make. And if you're preordering just for the sake of some extra shiny you are the ultimate chump and you're making things harder for the rest of us. Preordering is never okay. I'm not one to repeat my mistakes which is why I stopped preordering a long time ago. And that's not even after I understood what the publishers were up to but only after I'd gotten myself burned one too many times.

I don't know how the matter of special editions got into this discussion though because that's a whole nother thing entirely. If you want to pay extra for some shiny bonuses then that's your prerogative. I would prefer it if publishers would leave the bonuses to the limited editions instead of tempting impulsive people with offers of stupid junk simply for the sake of pushing a few more day one sales. At least then those extras would actually be exclusive to the limited editions - or at least they should be - because more often than not all those preorder bonuses are made freely available later anyway.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I pre-ordered that smash 4 for the wii u so i could get the ole nintendo rewards of the ost disc. I love it so.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Preordering is one of the dumbest decisions you will ever make. And if you're preordering just for the sake of some extra shiny you are the ultimate chump and you're making things harder for the rest of us. Preordering is never okay. I'm not one to repeat my mistakes which is why I stopped preordering a long time ago. And that's not even after I understood what the publishers were up to but only after I'd gotten myself burned one too many times.

I actually never understood why people pre-order certain games and then b*tch about it later. If you're pre-ordering a game in a series that you've been following, that's totally fine. Chances are, you're in it for the story even if the game itself doesn't live up to your expectations or you understand enough about the game based on previous entries to know you're going to enjoy it no matter what. But a brand new IP? That's a huge risk. Especially with collector's editions. I hate seeing a brand new IP come with this expensive collector's edition with a statue of the main character who you don't even know yet. It's the equivalent of idiots who got Jar Jar Binks tattooed on them before they even saw The Phantom Menace. Why commit to something you don't even know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom