• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you customise your controls?

I've been playing a few indies recently and a lot of them have god awful control set ups. I never usually customise my controls but i've actively had to go looking for option with some of these games.

So, do you customise your controls?
Which games have you really needed to customise in?

Dan

It's weird to encounter any game that doesn't use the standard controls that have been perfected over the golden age of videos games. I guess those indies are trying to reinvent the wheel when there's no need to. That or they're really **** developers(probably).

Although if we're talking about PC games that tend to have a ton of hotkeys for a variety of actions I'll occasionally change a few, but again 9/10 the keys are mapped to convenient and comfortable positions people have come to expect.

On a Sony console emulator I'll remap the triangle and circle buttons. You American's used the circle as your back button, but here in the UK it was triangle.

So, do you customise your controls?
Not always. But in the games that allow any kind of control customisation, I try a few control layouts to see which works better for me. By try I don't mean a 2 minute play around. I mean at least 30 minutes to an hour to see if I can really get to grips wth that particular layout.

I would have remapped controls in Smash 4 3DS if they let me switch the circle pad and control pad controls but for some reason that configuration never crossed their mind.

The only prominent example that comes to mind was switching out the ALttP VC controls on the Wii U to more closely match the GBA port.

I also usually mirror the left/right camera axis if given an option to, but that's not necessarily a control.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I primarily play Nintendo consoles, so I rarely get that option.

I definitely don't mind, though. Subsribing to a default control scheme means that you can play multiplayer games and not get confused during local multiplayer or when using a friend's console. I've had to learn new control schemes so often, I'm really used to it. In fact, I really like when games like Kid Icarus Uprising and Splatoon go outside the box with controls.

Quin

Disaster Master
On PC I have to switch some things around to make emulators work better with my xbone pad. I also managed to got a build off Dolphin that allowed me to customise the control so I could play SS without motion control. That was fun. Steam also allows for some neat customisation. I can control my browsing with my controller if I ever felt to.
So yeah, if I can make the game more comfortable I will. Nintendo sadly doesn't give much options in that regard.

On Guild Wars 2, I tend to edit key binds when something comes up that requires such, EG Path of Fire came out with mounts being a thing in which I bound the mounts to the arrow keys, which the original bind, along side WASD, was for movement/camera.

As for other games I only edit the camera when its inverted, inverted camera controls tend to disorient me easily.

Ninja

Well well well
The only games I've ever changed the configurations were Socom 2 and Call of Duty. Changed the schemes to trick opponents, not sure if prone shooting is still a thing as I haven't purchased a CoD in years.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I tend to map keys to home row, it's easier top lay since it makes them further from the "alt" key. In Smash 4 Wii U I turn off tap jump and set guard to Zr and grab to R it's easier to chain attacks for me that way. I also emulate games a lot andI customize the controls so tat the arrow keys or the D-pad on an external controller act as movement, I don't like 'WASD' for movement.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I change controls fairly often, assuming the game lets me.

I pretty much completely remapped the entire control scheme for Thief Gold and Thief II. I changed all the buttons dedicated to controlling speed, remapped lean forward to an single key press, switched the number hotkeys for weapons so rope and moss arrows were easier to equip than fire and broadhead arrows, and set my lockpicks and compass to T and Y so I can access them much faster. There's more but the gist is that almost every control has been changed to something else.

I changed several of the default controls in Rainbow Six Seige to make certain actions easier. I set my mark button (for setting a waypoint my team can see) to a middle mouse click, allowing me to mark things while moving and aiming. I also changed my gadget button to one of the buttons on the side of my mouse, letting me use my gear without any hesitation.

Dishonored would be another one, specifically setting quick save to Tab and quick load to L.Alt, making save scumming a far easier thing to do.

Generally, any PC game where the main interact button is E I change to F, and every single game that has crouch mapped to C I immediately switch to L.Ctrl because I'm not an animal.

When playing with a controller (which I've only done for literally one game in the last year) I just go with whatever the default is.

Djinn

and Tonic
Very rarely, and only if the default controls are so weird or completely off from every other game I have played that I am just not getting used to it. Does not happen very often so it is not really an issue.

I think a couple times inverted analog stick was annoying me so I switched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom