• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Buy Cross-Gen Games on New or Old Consoles?

We're already seeing some cross-gen games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla being announced and we're surely have more to follow so I'm curious if people here usually buy them for the new or old hardware.

A lot of people bought Switches for BotW but that's a special case with everyone here being big Zelda fans.

Aside from games in your favorite franchises coming out for the next generation, do you usually wait to buy cross-gen games until you own new consoles or are you okay with buying a cross-gen game for a console you already have after the next console is already out and you don't own it yet? Or is that never an issue because you are an early adopter? I'm curious where people stand.

For the past two generations, I've been a pretty early adopter so I usually buy games for the newer hardware. BotW and the Switch was actually an exception where I bought it for Wii U before rebuying it on Switch in November 2017.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I guess I'd be more inclined to wait to own the next generation version of that release, since off the top of my head, I've done that w/ GTA V, Persona 5, and MGSV [plenty of 5's, ha], but I'm sure I've had a few exceptions to that and just settled for the previous gen version

As someone who waits a few years before joining a new generation (unless Nintendo) I'll buy games on the consoles I have.

If I end up with a next gen console later done the line and the game I really enjoyed last gen is cheap and has extra features then maybe I'll double dip.

However I've noticed very litter difference between end of life and launch gen games between consoles so it's usually not worth it.

Mido

Version 1
I usually will roll with the previous generation with games that come out on multiple generations of consoles, with BOTW and Destiny as major examples of this. Granted, with the latter, I was able to download it free when transitioning from the 360 to the One at the time.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I don't really lean one way or the other, it totally depends on when they release and when I want to get them. As a couple of examples, I ended up getting the Wii for Christmas 2006, and alongside it Twilight Princess, even though it was also released for the Gamecube a month beforehand. I picked up BotW for the Wii U since I wasn't getting a Switch right away and didn't want to have to wait that long to play BotW. Something like Assassin's Creed Valhalla I might end up just getting on the PS5 since I wouldn't be getting it right away when it was released, so I could wait until I had the newest console to play it on instead.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
(Ignoring my status as a mostly PC gamer) Unless there's some huge difference in quality between the two, I'd probably buy the game for whichever system I own at the time. If the game is releasing on a next generation console I don't have any intention of buying just then, I'll settle for the last generation copy.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
The only time this has been relevant to me was with BOTW. At the time I didn’t have a Switch and wasn’t planning to get one for a while so I only have the Wii U version. I didn’t feel like I was missing out on much by not having the Switch version and frankly I purchased the Wii U with the expectation that there would be a new main series Zelda title so I didn’t want to buy a Switch for it at that point.

MW7

I bought BOTW and Mario Kart 8 for Wii U and Switch. For TP I bought it on Gamecube as well as the HD remake on Wii U but never owned it for Wii. I waited a while before buying a Switch so I played my Wii U versions a lot before repurchasing for the Switch. Now I only use the Wii U for WW HD, TP HD, and for Wii backwards compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom