• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do We Need Another Dark Story?

In your opinions, do you think that the Legend of Zelda still needs a darker storyline? Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess did it very well, in my opinion. I think a few more wouldn't go amiss, but I also don't want it to become a theme.

I am also partial to another T game, just so the developers aren't limited by the guidelines which constitute an E game.

B

bdjace

I do not count MM and TP among my favorites but they are both excellent. The Spiritual Trials sections of SS got my heart rate up more than once as well. I would enjoy another Zelda title but do not specifically think it needs to try to be overly dark or evil. The lite-heartedness of the series as a whole is one of the things that I love so much about Zelda. I do not think the T rating by itself is a problem if it helps provide the developers with the room to make another fantastic addition to the series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
We need another Majora's Mask in the Zelda series. Nintendo tries too hard to make "the next OoT" and they fail every single time IMO. TWW was too lighthearted and something else about that game turned people off, TP was too similar, SS was too lackluster, and so on. However, a diamond in the rough, Majora's Mask, is what Nintendo SHOULD try to emulate.

Majora's Mask smacked us into a world we knew absolutely nothing about, and we had to race against the clock to a) save that mysterious world from a sudden impending doom, b) make everyone we come across in said world happy, fulfill their wishes before they face their apparent demise and c) find the location of our lost friend. Granted, you don't *have* to do any of that ingame. However, doing it maked Link feel human to me. The NPCs somehow were almost real – they displayed emotions unlike the billion other NPCs of the Zelda universe. We weren't tied down by the cliched Hero Story that OoT, ALttP, SS, TP and so on presented to us. MM gave us a spectacular story, amazing emotions and arguably the best NPCs Zelda has ever seen. MM was dark in a way, people were constantly worried about their gradual death and no one was happy [until you made 'em happy, that is]. That legendary game achieved all of that without having to resort to "oh...well, it's LoZ so we need a damsel in distress and we need a mere obstacle of a villain".

So yes, we do need another dark game. Not dark as in TP dark, but dark as in Majora's Mask dark. Surreal is the better word, I suppose.

I really loved the mature atmosphere in TP because I grew up thinking that Zelda games were for an older audience. Like when Oot came out, I thought I was way too young to even try to play it. I would love another darker story. Ever since Wind Waker, zelda games have been less scary and I want that atmosphere back.

We need another Majora's Mask in the Zelda series. Nintendo tries too hard to make "the next OoT" and they fail every single time IMO. TWW was too lighthearted and something else about that game turned people off, TP was too similar, SS was too lackluster, and so on. However, a diamond in the rough, Majora's Mask, is what Nintendo SHOULD try to emulate.

Majora's Mask smacked us into a world we knew absolutely nothing about, and we had to race against the clock to a) save that mysterious world from a sudden impending doom, b) make everyone we come across in said world happy, fulfill their wishes before they face their apparent demise and c) find the location of our lost friend. Granted, you don't *have* to do any of that ingame. However, doing it maked Link feel human to me. The NPCs somehow were almost real – they displayed emotions unlike the billion other NPCs of the Zelda universe. We weren't tied down by the cliched Hero Story that OoT, ALttP, SS, TP and so on presented to us. MM gave us a spectacular story, amazing emotions and arguably the best NPCs Zelda has ever seen. MM was dark in a way, people were constantly worried about their gradual death and no one was happy [until you made 'em happy, that is]. That legendary game achieved all of that without having to resort to "oh...well, it's LoZ so we need a damsel in distress and we need a mere obstacle of a villain".

So yes, we do need another dark game. Not dark as in TP dark, but dark as in Majora's Mask dark. Surreal is the better word, I suppose.

I agree. While I thoroughly enjoyed the whimsical stylings of the WW, I agree we should see another, more emotional Zelda. MM was some sort of brilliant that we need to see again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom