• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Distressing! Batman Arkham City Overtakes OOT As Highest Rated Game of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

king Ganondorf

Ganondorf Dragmire
Batman Arkham City for Playstation 3 currently holds a 97.50% on Gamerankings, 0.02% above the rating for the N64's classic Ocarina of Time. This is similar to when Super Mario Galaxy 2's short-lived achievment last year but the thought of a Batman game being so good is both amazing and scary for Nintendo fans like myself.
How could this happen!!!!!!!!!

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Before I start, let it be known that this is mainly my opinion. (I just say so because I think everyone is taking this a bit too seriously)

As the Ocarina of Time fanboy I admit to be, I have to be perfectly honest: I can't help ignoring this. That said, I don't really care that Arkham City has taken its spot on Gamerankings, which in the end, is actually an opinion just like the one I'm expressing now. Except that it has major media support on its side, which in the long run is an advantage that won't really stay. In other words, it's not a good point to support the argument of either game being better.

Still, we all should've known that another game would take that spot. Yes, Ocarina of Time has had the spot for 13 years by now, but that never meant it was gonna keep it forever. Game design has advanced a fair bit since 1998, and even though it was a landmark in game design, that means it was a foundation for the design, not the top of it.

Now, if anybody thinks OoT should stay as the top game, let me ask you: What would that mean for Zelda as a whole? Does that mean we should just stay with that game being sorry about how they are not as good? I don't like that idea, and I personally think that every Zelda since OoT has outdone it greatly. Even the so-called "dissapointment" that a lot of people seem to think Twilight Princess was, but I guess that has to do with personal taste, something I will not argue against. Despite that, I still consider OoT to be a very special game because of the experience it gave me. To me, that is an advantage I doubt Arkham City will get, no matter how good it is (don't get me wrong, by the way. I think the game looks awesome).

king Ganondorf

Ganondorf Dragmire
Before I start, let it be known that this is mainly my opinion. (I just say so because I think everyone is taking this a bit too seriously)

As the Ocarina of Time fanboy I admit to be, I have to be perfectly honest: I can't help ignoring this. That said, I don't really care that Arkham City has taken its spot on Gamerankings, which in the end, is actually an opinion just like the one I'm expressing now. Except that it has major media support on its side, which in the long run is an advantage that won't really stay. In other words, it's not a good point to support the argument of either game being better.

Still, we all should've known that another game would take that spot. Yes, Ocarina of Time has had the spot for 13 years by now, but that never meant it was gonna keep it forever. Game design has advanced a fair bit since 1998, and even though it was a landmark in game design, that means it was a foundation for the design, not the top of it.

Now, if anybody thinks OoT should stay as the top game, let me ask you: What would that mean for Zelda as a whole? Does that mean we should just stay with that game being sorry about how they are not as good? I don't like that idea, and I personally think that every Zelda since OoT has outdone it greatly. Even the so-called "dissapointment" that a lot of people seem to think Twilight Princess was, but I guess that has to do with personal taste, something I will not argue against. Despite that, I still consider OoT to be a very special game because of the experience it gave me. To me, that is an advantage I doubt Arkham City will get, no matter how good it is (don't get me wrong, by the way. I think the game looks awesome).
People where disappointed in Twilight Princess?

Although that is a bit frustrating, some game had to take its place someday, doesn't it? I'm actually glad it's Arkham City, and not a generic FPS like Call of Duty or something. Also, don't expect it to last long, considering November 20 is just around the corner ;)

I suppose in the end it really doesn't matter what others think all that matters is how you enjoy the games.. Just because Ocarina lost some superficial title doesn't mean its less enjoyable to play.

MW7

Although that is a bit frustrating, some game had to take its place someday, doesn't it? I'm actually glad it's Arkham City, and not a generic FPS like Call of Duty or something. Also, don't expect it to last long, considering November 20 is just around the corner ;)

First statement: agree completely since if no game ever tops OOT then what's the point of getting new games since no game would ever be as good as it. I always hope the next game to come along is better than OOT, but to be fair I highly desire that game to be a Zelda game.

Second statement: agree completely because Call of Duty needs to crawl into a hole and die, or at least end the run of being released every year since 2006. Seriously at least Fifa and Madden update the players and team information along with some gameplay improvements every year, but Call of Duty really doesn't need to be released every year with such minimal improvement from game to game. Although to be fair, people are dumb enough to buy it every year (I'm not being condescending because I was one of them) so Activision has amassed over 102 milliion sales from the franchise in its 8 year life span (Source: Wikipedia- List of Highest Selling Video Game Franchises). To put that in perspective the well-respected The Elder Scrolls series which is infamous for their long development times (which do lead to very high quality games) have sold about a tenth as many games in 17 years (I don't have an exact source of the sales of the series but I found that Oblivion only sold around 3 million copies and Morrowind sold 4 million copies; I guessed on the rest of the games).

Third statement: I hope Skyward Sword is a 100/100 but I'm thinking 96/100 (which would put it ahead of WW and TP on Gamerankings) is more realistic. Really it doesn't matter to me that much if it gets 8/10 from every reviewer since the game is Zelda, I know I will love it.

Also fun fact- part of the reason why we care about OOT being regarded as the greatest game ever can be traced to the social psychology concept of social identity. Part of our identities are made up of being a Zelda fan so we have an in-group bias towards Zelda and want the series to be highly regarded. A very similar concept is basking in reflected glory which applies to this situation. We want Zelda to be highly regarded because we associate our own success with the success of the series due to Zelda being a part of our social identity. I just thought it was interesting to know a possible reason why we care about this.

Edit: I don't think Batman has technically overtaken OOT yet officially at least since it only has 8 reviews so far. If you pull up the top games ever list, it defaults to games with at least 20 reviews. But I don't really know what I'm talking about so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
good for Batman! as much as i love OOT was holding that status for almost 14 years, someone had to take the title.
besides, Arkham City look worthy of the title, and im very happy that it got it. i actually hope it will stay that way and Arkham City will be the most critically acclaimed game of all time, its abut time that a modern game will.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
0.02% on GameRankings

Doesn't hold much water with me, to be honest. GR, Metacritic...bleh, aggregate review sites like that just don't mean much to me because more or less, they're biased. Biased for Zelda. Biased against Sonic. Biased...in any way possible. That's not to say I myself am not, because that's farthest from the truth.

BAC has more reason to be highly rated than OoT in all honesty. Doesn't change that OoT is the best game ever in my eyes, it shouldn't affect you if you saw OoT as the best game ever.

G

garomaster

Well if had to be any game dethroning The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time from its throne, I'd rather it be Batman Arkham City instead of Call of Duty or something :P

Diablo

King of Redeads
Considering the West's love for Batman, this isn't all that surprising.
lolAdamWest Seriously though Arkham was a pretty awesome game, and titles don't last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom