• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Distressing! Batman Arkham City Overtakes OOT As Highest Rated Game of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman Arkham City for Playstation 3 currently holds a 97.50% on Gamerankings, 0.02% above the rating for the N64's classic Ocarina of Time. This is similar to when Super Mario Galaxy 2's short-lived achievment last year but the thought of a Batman game being so good is both amazing and scary for Nintendo fans like myself.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I won't lie, this bothers me. It's the fact that it's based off of one of the most popular comic book franchises. Well, at least Miyamoto got creative.

Plus most of those games tend to be pretty similar :/

I don't really find this distressing. In fact this made me interested in Arkham City, it must be good if it got a higher rating than OoT.

Besides, OoT is still one of the highest rated games of all time, that's an accomplishment.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I won't lie, this bothers me. It's the fact that it's based off of one of the most popular comic book franchises. Well, at least Miyamoto got creative.

Plus most of those games tend to be pretty similar :/

Have you even played Batman Arkham Asylum? It was more then a great game, it was the perfect tribute to an iconic character. If what you said was true then why hasn't he been big in games beforehand? He's had terrible games and he's had decent games. But that's as far as he went, decent. The gameplay was rock solid and innovative. They even got the voices of Batman and Joker themselves for these games, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. The free flow combat is amazing, detective mode makes you use your brain when it comes to solving the Riddler challenges, it's awesome and wise to always use stealth against foes who are armed. All in all, there is a lot to do in Arkham Asylum and the game has a variety of gameplay elements, and pays lots of homage to the Batman comics. And then there's Arkham City, a game that is five times larger than the first, is loaded with tons of content, and actually adds and improves on the gameplay. Yeah, Rocksteady did right by Batman and know what they're doing, Arkham City deserves all the credit it's getting. You can even say that these games are The Legend of Zelda of Batman.

You know... at least its a worthy game series.. and not some unoriginal first person shooter.. that would sting more.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Have you even played Batman Arkham Asylum? It was more then a great game, it was the perfect tribute to an iconic character. If what you said was true then why hasn't he been big in games beforehand? He's had terrible games and he's had decent games. But that's as far as he went, decent. The gameplay was rock solid and innovative. They even got the voices of Batman and Joker themselves for these games, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. The free flow combat is amazing, detective mode makes you use your brain when it comes to solving the Riddler challenges, it's awesome and wise to always use stealth against foes who are armed. All in all, there is a lot to do in Arkham Asylum and the game has a variety of gameplay elements, and pays lots of homage to the Batman comics. And then there's Arkham City, a game that is five times larger than the first, is loaded with tons of content, and actually adds and improves on the gameplay. Yeah, Rocksteady did right by Batman and know what they're doing, Arkham City deserves all the credit it's getting. You can even say that these games are The Legend of Zelda of Batman.

I'm not saying it is bad, I am saying that a lot of the factors toward its popularity is that it is a "tribute to an iconic character." Using such a well known cultural staple such as Batman certainly increases both interest and popularity- the same can be seen with many other franchises. Is it bad? Not really.

I'm also not saying that this game is horrible. It could be one of the best games. However, the style, the target audience, and using Batman are all ways that market it to getting higher ratings from such ranking sites. Whether or not this is what was intended, that's what happened.

I just personally do not think, from what I have seen, that it would be a highest ranked game of all time.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm not saying it is bad, I am saying that a lot of the factors toward its popularity is that it is a "tribute to an iconic character." Using such a well known cultural staple such as Batman certainly increases both interest and popularity- the same can be seen with many other franchises. Is it bad? Not really.

I'm also not saying that this game is horrible. It could be one of the best games. However, the style, the target audience, and using Batman are all ways that market it to getting higher ratings from such ranking sites. Whether or not this is what was intended, that's what happened.

I just personally do not think, from what I have seen, that it would be a highest ranked game of all time.

Well you said...

"Well, at least Miyamoto got creative."

You don't think Rocksteady did?

Hmm...So you're telling me that it was ranked because of the way the game was marketed? So people aren't doing they're jobs right or what? This game should be judged as a game, not popularity or because it's Batman. I've said it before, Batman has had a rough past with video games, but there's a reason why THIS game is getting the attention it has now.

I guess what I'm saying is, forget about the popularity because popularity doesn't have a factor on whether a game gets a low rank or high rank. Just look at Call of Duty, that's big and whatnot but are those games good? No. It's about the game and the game only. And I feel that no one should be bothered by this because it's a fantastic game and it does deserve this ranking.

Last edited:
S

SilverLinkx

Well, OOT won't last forever. Even though it's STILL amazing 11 years after release :p

While I agree with you, I feel Batman Arkham City fails to revolutionize gaming the way Ocarina of Time did.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
While I agree with you, I feel Batman Arkham City fails to revolutionize gaming the way Ocarina of Time did.

No matter what impact a game has on the video game industry doesn't make it automatically the most perfect game. It just means that it was the first to do something. That doesn't stop it from being topped down the line. So what if Batman didn't revolutionize gaming? Does that make it any less of a good game than Ocarina of Time? Revolutionizing is just a staple a game has, not a quality of it.

DLC

Soul Drummer.
People, people, I doubt it. you didn't list every single source. If you found every single ( reliable) source possible, OoT would still win. Especially in Japan. It still seems like a great game, maybe the 2nd best, but OoT will always win, especially since it was in first place for more than 11 years.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
No worries, my friends. I'm certain Zelda will be restored by the release of its newest title. Despite my love for the iconic Batman, I'm even more confident and convicted that Skyward Sword will rise the franchise back to the top, as it is another Zelda game proving to be innovative, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom