• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Disney's: The Black Cauldron - The Movie I'm Sure You Never Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Ah yes, the Black Cauldron, truly the darkest Disney Film (in the Animated Canon mind you) made yet. Sadly it is also the most underatted and ignored Disney Film among the canon. The reason I am showing this at this forum specifically, is because this is a Zelda forum right? Well, this film may be based on a series of books (really loose though, nearly no connection what-so-ever) it actually resembles a Zelda film if you think hard enough. But anyways, on with the info.

203434.1020.A.jpg

Plot: <Copied off Wiki> On the small farm of Caer Dallben, Taran (Grant Bardsley) is an Assistant Pigkeeper to the enchanter Dallben (Freddie Jones), with dreams of becoming a great warrior. However, he has to put the daydreaming aside when his charge, an oracular pig named Hen Wen is kidnapped by an evil lord known as the Horned King (John Hurt). The villain hopes Hen Wen will show him the way to The Black Cauldron, which has the power to create a legion of invincible undead warriors, (known as "The Cauldron Born"). With the aid of Princess Eilonwy (Susan Sheridan), an exaggerating middle-aged bard named Fflewddur Fflam (Nigel Hawthorne), and a pestering but ultimately loyal creature called Gurgi (John Byner), Taran tries to save the world of Prydain from the Horned King. As the new friends face witches, elves, magic swords, and the Cauldron itself, Taran starts to learn what being a hero really means and that some things are more important than glory.

History: During the dark age of Disney animation Disney had decided to release a number of films. Most of these films had suffered in the box office at the time though. However, Disney refused to quit and started production of their own version of the Chronicles of Prydain series. However, this film went through a messy period (as I said) and this caused the film to be delayed numerous times until it was finally released in 1985, after being in limbo for 7 years. So how did this film do? It bombed... horrendously. It sadly only made half of it's $44 million budget (in 2010 money, that is a $88,630,148,698.88 budget, so ouch.) This caused Disney to shelf the film until it was finally released on VHS in 1998. (I'm sure some of you saw this film on VHS.)
Here is something else that you might not know. This is Disney's first PG film, now why is that important? It's important because, in 1985, PG was the equivalent of PG-13. This film nearly got an R rating (twice as intense back then as well) but sadly, Disney managed to change that.
By deleting numerous scenes in the film, Disney managed to scale the movie down to a PG rating.

What I remember of this Film: What I remember? What I remember is being scared witless of this film back in my childhood. This movie had the freakiest Disney Villain in history, and the horrifying skeleton army. I was so scared of this film that I almost didn't go to sleep the first time I saw it. So why did I love it? I love fantasy and this film was ripe with fantasy, adventure, and fillers. I remember always wanting a Gurgi doll when I was younger.

What Makes it seem like Zelda: Taran- Link
Princess Eilonwy- Zelda
Bauble- Navi (there are fairies in this film too.)
Horned King- Ganondorf
If you watch this film, you'll even feel like your watching a Zelda film. It's just so interesting.

Why I am telling you guys this: I wrote this as a way to get you guys interested in the closest thing we have to a Zelda film by Disney. I'm also telling you guys that a Blu-ray release of this film is coming out in June with all the deleted scenes put back. So in honor of this film being Disney's first attempt at not being uber kid friendly I suggest you look out for the release.

I saw this film once. It was indeed quite grim compared to other Disney movies released at that time.

And maybe it's because I don't remember the film all that well, but I don't really see what you mean by it being like Zelda.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I saw this film once. It was indeed quite grim compared to other Disney movies released at that time.

And maybe it's because I don't remember the film all that well, but I don't really see what you mean by it being like Zelda.

Now that I am not in a rush, I suppose I can enlighten.

The main character is a boy named Taran. He starts off his life in a farm (and seems to know some swordsmanship.) He is thrust on a quest to save the kingdom of Prydain (Hyrule) by getting a mystical item of great power which is the Black Cauldron. The Cauldron itself resembles the triforce (in terms of usage). It lets the user become a God through the use of undead soldiers that don't die under any circumstance.
Along the way, Taran meets a Princess who resembles our Zelda. (The resemblance is so bloody uncanny; they are both blondes, princesses, have similar colored clothes.) Princess Eilonwy also has a magical artifcact that is a small bubble that lights up dark rooms while having a life of it's own. In a way, this resembles a fairy in the Zelda series.

The rest of the references to Zelda are mostly there because of the world itself being midevil. I suggest you look at the film again if you want to understand what I am getting at though.

(For part 5 and beyond, check the japanese version.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this movie! I didn't see it anywhere close to when it first came out, but my brother told me about it and eventually, maybe 6-8 years ago, I saw it with him.

Gotta say, thought it was really bad-***. I was actually really surprised to find out it was a Disney movie. Doesn't seem like Disney at all to me. But anyway, I don't really mind that they cut the more mature scenes out, but that BluRay release sounds interesting so I might have to pick it up.

The Horned King was an exceptionally cool villain. I loved him to death, as well as some of the other creatures in the movie. I'd like to see it again to be honest, thanks for reminding me of it Charge. :)

Nye Pendragon

derparific
I've seen 'The Black Cauldron' a number of times; it just doesn't really appeal to me very much. :3 Not a /bad/ movie though.

I never noticed how simaller(sp?) it is to Zelda before, though. o__o That's really odd..
I think I need to watch that again. xD

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've never heard of this film before. I will definately have to check it out sometime. It looks as though it could be very interesting, and I'd love to see a Dark Disney movie!

I got it when it came out initially on VHS in '98, but I strangely don't remember a lot about it. I felt bad for Gurgi alot, though. I may end up purchasing it again when it's out on DVD though...I do remember it being pretty dark, though. I'd have to see it again for finer details. I don't think I ever made the Zelda comparison, however. I'll give it another shot and see what I think :)

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I saw this when I was much younger. I've watched it again recently, and I still don't care much for it. I dunno, the dialogue, character development, and overall plot seemed very lacking in... well, everything. I just feel like this is one film they didn't try very hard in. It stuck to the whole fantasy thing pretty well, but it didn't feel original enough to interest me, and I guess that's why I could never enjoy it.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
I just watched this movie yesterday in school. (don't ask me why, but in Lit. we're reading a fantasy book next and my teacher wanted to show us a fantasy movie) It's okay, but we didn't get to watch all of it. It really seems like a Zelda rip off. There's even a Magical Sword (the Master Sword rip off) the Princess is (of course) Princess Zelda. Taran is Link. The Pig (I think her name is Hen something) like Epona and a Navi. The pig's cute... and the Horned King is (of course) Ganondorf.

I just watched this movie yesterday in school. (don't ask me why, but in Lit. we're reading a fantasy book next and my teacher wanted to show us a fantasy movie) It's okay, but we didn't get to watch all of it. It really seems like a Zelda rip off. There's even a Magical Sword (the Master Sword rip off) the Princess is (of course) Princess Zelda. Taran is Link. The Pig (I think her name is Hen something) like Epona and a Navi. The pig's cute... and the Horned King is (of course) Ganondorf.
Do note that the idea of a magical sword is terribly common, even prior to Zelda. Zelda itself kind of borrows from the the Sword in the Stone, from Arthurian legend (not Excalibur, that was a different sword believe it or not).

Frankly a lot of those elements are common, even together. Although it is true that a lot of the things in the movie together greatly resemble Zelda.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
*Reviving this thread* I saw that movie, and owned it when I was young on vhs. Great movie, I remember. Now that a Zelda movie is becoming very likely, I decided to revive this thread.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
*Reviving this thread* I saw that movie, and owned it when I was young on vhs. Great movie, I remember. Now that a Zelda movie is becoming very likely, I decided to revive this thread.
Why are you reviving a 2010 thread? Make a new one. None of the people in this thread are relevant anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom