• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did you buy your own consoles?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Sadly, no. My granma bought my first console. It was a local company console that costed 300 Rupees. My PS1 was a hand me down from my cousin which didn't last long. My mum bought me a Wii when I was in 6th grade which I was using till last year.
I mostly played games when I hung out in my friends' house.

This year when series X was released I really wanted one but my aunt didn't get me one. I can't believe what I'm hearing. I previously asked for the previous gen console and she agreed provided that I got good scores. I did pass the threshold. But when the next gen consoles were announced I changed my plan. But my Aunt didn't get me one. If you think it was due to economic constraints, I can guarantee you it's not that. It's not that I didn't fulfill the score criteria either.
When I ask why, she just sayd now isn't the right time, which doesn't make sense because now is the time I would the most free since I'm an first year. Asking my granma didn't yield any results either. I can't believe what's happening :err:

So how about you guys? Did you buy your own consoles?

Dark Boo

The Darkest of Boos
I bought my N64, Switch, and GBA. The PS2 was given to my dad from my uncle. My parents bought all the rest.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
No.
My younger brother bought our Wii back in 2016 when he realized one day he had a bunch of extra money laying around.
Our Wii U was given to us by a couple that was downsizing because he's going into the Navy. I am saving up for a Switch now, though.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Depends on the console. Most of them have been gifted to me as I was growing up, like my original GC (which I traded in to GameStop like an idiot), Wii, and PS3.

But there's also been consoles I've purchased with my own money, like my New 3DS and DOL-001 GC (that I picked up back in 2019).

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
my first gamecube, PSP, wii, and PS3 were all bought for me, and I think my original used gba I got from ebay was w/ my own money and I just gave my parents that so I can use their credit card, though it's tough to remember

sad part is I no longer own any of these original systems from back then, I do own them all now but they're not the original systems from childhood and I rebought them all on my own, and of course any system after was my own money

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I've been buying my own consoles and PCs ever since the Xbox 360 released back in 2005. Saved up money to buy it back in 2006 and I've been buying my own consoles and PCs ever since.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I started buying my own handhelds in high school thanks to a nifty job at walmart
the only console I've ever gotten with my own money is my PS4 that I just got last year, everything else was a family console

Most of my consoles I have my parents would buy them as Christmas presents for me and for my sister.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
First time I bought a console with no financial assistance from my parents was my Switch. Even my most recent 3DS was aided with birthday money, iirc. My switch was purely with my own money that I saved. All of my gaming devices before were either presents or the money to buy them was a present.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My Switch, PS4 and 3DS, and by extension all of the laptops I've ever had, are all purchases I made on my own. My PS3 and PS2 were gifts from years ago, my Wii was the family's Wii along with my Gamecube, and I have an NES that I found in the trash (which, somehow, works).

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
When I was younger, I got them as presents for my birhtday or for christmas, as I simply could never dream of having enough money to buy them myself.
First console I ever bought myself was my 3DS when that came out, then the Wii U, and then the Nintendo Switch. Might buy a PS5 in the future, since there is a new Ratchet & Clank game coming out for it

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I too received some consoles as gifts when I was younger. The first two being my SNES and original GameBoy and later a PS2, Gameboy Advance, N64, Nintendo DS Lite, and Wii throughout my childhood. Since I started working at age 14 I have purchased my own consoles with money I earned myself - those include my original DS, DSi, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL, NES, (Japanese) N64, Gamecube, (Japanese) Gamecube, Wii U, PS4, and Switch. I still have all of them so it is only a matter of time before I appear in an episode of hoarders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom