• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Buy Any of the Next Gen Consoles?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Two days ago the previous generation of gaming ended. With the launch of the Xbox Series X, and today's launch of the Playstation 5, I'm wondering how many of us have taken the step into the next gen on this launch week?

I haven't bought a console on it's launch day in years, probably the only time I would have done so in the previous decade was for the Switch and Breath of the Wild, but sadly I wasn't able to. There are no games launching with the Series X and PS5 that make me feel like I need to make that jump right now, so I'll be holding off on buying one of those consoles.

What about you all? Did you buy a next gen console this week? Which one did you buy? Or are you also going to hold off, if so, how long do you think you'll wait to buy one?

I find it fairly pointless to buy an XSX since MS have confirmed there won't be any exclusives for two years that the Xbone won't be able to play.

As for PS5, UK has to wait a week for it to release. I'll get a PS5 eventually but I'll be more than fine waiting for the inevitable third revision at least.

So, no. No launch buying (they're also expensive as hell).

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I don't buy at launch but I did get the 3DS and Switch their launch year. As for PlayStation I usually wait for the next cycle to get it so I am due for a PS4 soon I hope.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
For me at least, it's fairly pointless to buy a console at launch. They all, in most cases, just end up getting slim versions or performance variety versions who almost always gets a price cut.

XSX won't get an exclusive game for years, and PS5 will eventually get exclusives, some of them might end up being 'must-haves', but I had no trouble waiting three years for a PS4 because that's about how long it took for it to get great, exclusive games I was interested in.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Got mine.
KfNlFRf.jpg

Been playing Gears 5 and I tested RE2, and yeah, I ain't ever going back to my One X. Everything is just so much smoother, faster, and more responsive. I was actually shocked at how fast RE2 was loading that I kept loading up saves to finish a few challenges I still hadn't done without the constant tedium of waiting through long load times.

The Series X was a day one priority for me because of Halo: Infinite, so the statue does sting a bit. But what really sold me was Xbox's commitment to backwards compatibility. I still have lots of major titles in my backlog that will take advantage of the Series X's hardware, which is no different than all the cross gen titles coming out now that are being called next-gen anyway. The games will come and the exclusives will too, but in the meantime, I got plenty of stuff to play in between that I'm glad I'll be playing on this bad boy.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking advantage of 120 fps just yet, but even at a stable 60 with reduced input lag and faster load times, the upgrade has been noticeable and is definitely worth it so far, so I can't even imagine how much better 120 fps will feel once I upgrade my TV. I've also been getting quite a kick out of how amazing quick resume is too. I keep forgetting the thing can even do that, that it boggles my mind when a game just starts up instantly without having to boot up again.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Nope. Don't care about them at all. They never have lineups that interest me and that's a lot of money to burn for maybe two intriguing exclusives now and then. I'm sticking to Nintendo like always. Watching people foam at the mouth to get the PS5 at launch, even going so far as to pay double for the console, makes me relieved that I don't care.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Not really. The only console I'm looking forward to is the Switch revision rumored to be releasing next year. I'll wait until then to make any new console purchases.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
minimum 2 years before I'd consider it, and now more than ever I'd wait for a slim model of a PS5, even if I wanted one right now I just simply don't have any space so guess I'll see where I'm at in a couple years

Weirdly enough, the only console I ever bought on launch day was the Wii U and we all know how that turned out. My system was collecting dust for about a year after I played through Nintendo Land and NSMBU until Super Mario 3D World launched (I didn't purchase The Wind Waker HD until a few years later as I wasn't keen on replaying it in 2013). So I'm not exactly keen on buying consoles on Day 1 anymore. I was considering getting the Xbox Series X on Day 1 if Halo Infinite launched with it, but once Halo was delayed, so was my interest in picking up the next generation of Xbox in 2020.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I didn’t get either as they don’t particularly interest me. I’ll possibly get a PS5 eventually but doubt I’ll ever get the new Xbox.

A friend of mine works at EB Games and she told me that yesterday on PS5 launch day she saw someone come into the store with someone else to purchase the console, then the person who purchased the preorder from EB Games sold it to the person next to them for $1900 cash because they’d scalped it on eBay and the buyer wanted to make sure they were actually getting a legit console from the shop. It boggles my mind how someone would pay $1900 to a scalper for this.

I'm a Nintendo purist, and I've never found the other console's exclusives that interesting. I barely have time to play Zelda, Metroid and Fire Emblem, let alone the occasional outlier like Skyrim and hopefully someday Dark Souls, so I stick to my Nintendo consoles. The only two games that have me even remotely interested are Kena: Bridge of Spirits (the game by Ember Lab and Theophany) and the Demon Souls Remake, but considering I haven't even played Dark Souls I, I don't think either of those are really that relevant to me right now.

Robbie fan club
I came extremely close to grabbing a PS5, but decided to hold off for a bit longer. I've still got a bit of a backlog of PS4 games so I'm not really in any hurry to get one, I'll probs wait a few months. Once a few more games are out and they become readily available enough that I can just walk into a store and grab one I might go for it. Plus I'm nearing uni break so I'll be able to spend some time working and saving money for one

Gorozoron

wild ride
No none of the games interest me for those consoles anyway I get Nintendo consoles and only nintendo well maybe security breach cuz I want to see how it's going to turn out but we pretty much got the story for vanny but I want to see more about this random kid in the robot bear?

Quin

Disaster Master
No, buying consoles on day 1 is pretty stupid. There is never a good lineup, and the console is always riddled with problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom