• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did Majora's Mask Need More Dungeons?

Shadow Wolfo

Darkest Wolfo There Is!
No, It'll make the side quest to get thier to long and harder plus, Water,fire,Grass,earth. What else for MM thiers only four giants.

T

Thomphill7

I would liked if there were another dungeon with a boss that had a mask but b/c of the things u need to do to get to a dungeon I found it was fine

T

Tily

I would have liked more dungeons, though the one Zelda game that imo really did need more dungeons was Windwaker. Majora's Mask, while it did not have a lot of dungeons and disappointed a bit because of that, more than made up for it with the amazing side quests and insane character development of the people in Clock Town. The game didn't really need more dungeons, and honestly, that was the one Zelda game where the dungeons weren't the funnest part about the game, and they honestly didn't mean much to me.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Today I've played a bit of Great Bay Temple, though I heard Ikana's one is very amazing, so I'm going to try that one first :)

Anyways, back to the topic, I've only beaten half of the temples, and though I've heard the next temples are very puzzling, I don't really know what to think. Woodfall Temple and Snowhead Temple are both very good but to short, I've never felt I've used the Deku scrub and the Goron to their full potential, and I don't really know what to expect in Great Bay Temple (so far I've only explored it a bit, just swimming and killing some Dexihands).

This game is very epic but has only FOUR temples :(
Something to compensate the temples is the time limit and the Stray Fairies, which make the temples harder, especially if you want to beat them 100%.

Though the game has a L-O-T of stuff to collect:

- Upgrades (like the Quiver's upgrades)
- 60 stray fairies (15 in each dungeon)
- 6 bottles
- 52 heart pieces
- 24 masks

No one can say that isn't crazy!
The world is much explorable like this.
The game lacks dungeons, but has a lot of stuff...

Well, though the game has a lot of stuff, with two more dungeons it would definitely be a game I could consider perfect... though with four dungeons it's great anyway, so no complains at all :)

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
I think the number of dungeons in Majora's Mask was good for the game. In fact, in any game, they have to find the right balance. For Majora's Mask, four was good, partially because of the game design, and partially because of the symbolism (in Japan, the number four is often associated with death). In the original Legend of Zelda, eight plus the final dungeon worked well because they were really the only thing to sustain the game. They were difficult to get to, and occasionally difficult to get through, but they were the right number for the game. Likewise, the Game Boy/Color games did well with eight main dungeons each. There were quite a few dungeons, and the game didn't seem to drag.

However, Minish Cap had only five dungeons (six with Hyrule Castle), and it filled the space between with annoyingly long and tedious side quests. Getting a mushroom to wake a guy up? Freaking library books? That's not what I bought the game for. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are guilty of this as well with the Temple of the Ocean King and the Tower of Spirits. I think Spirit Tracks was actually worse in that regard, because they had so little plot between dungeons. There was a bunch of plot at the beginning, and then it was eight dungeons before there was any sort of plot again. At least Phantom Hourglass gave you plot between them.

So more dungeons isn't always better...and neither is fewer dungeons. It all depends on the game. Conclusion: four dungeons isn't enough for most of the Zelda games, but for Majora's Mask, it was just fine.

Ikana

Trollkastel
Nah the game was alright with only four.With all those side quest the game would be too long.With only four temples they actually made it harder getting all the Heart Pieces.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The game was alright with four, the amount of side quests made up for the dungeons entirely. You see, Majora was a game of story and Aonuma wanted to bend the story around individual character strifes that would grow you accustomed to everyone in Termina. Through this strife you would feel an emotional attachment to them and slowly acknowledge their troubles. But at the same time, you acknowledge their fates. Romani will be abducted by aliens and probed by them; Anju will never see her beloved Kafei again, Captain Keeta shall never be awakened from his slumber, etc. It is a psychological trick to have you enjoy the game better. *Sniff* And it works on me :D.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I wouldn't say it needed them. It made up for the lack of dungeons with the side quests. It was originally named to reflect that its focus would be on side quests (Zelda: Side Story).

Would I have minded there being more dungeons? Nope, the more the merrier. But I feel like the dungeons in MM were very well-done. I sometimes wonder if it's really just better to have more, or whether I'd rather have a few that are more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom