• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did Anyone else Have a Hard Time Finding Rupees in SS?

I was walking around Skyloft for about a hour grinding for rupees, dowsing for them and everything, but I barely found any cash at all. In any other LoZ game a hour is more than enough time to fill your wallet. I eventually gave up and just sold a bunch of crap, but my wallet still wasn't full. That has never happened to me before in a LoZ game. Normally my wallet gets full without me even trying, but this time I got a giant wallet and a world that has no rupees. Why'd they have to go and mess up the rupee system in this game?

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
Well, the only time I remember needing to search for rupees in SS was in Hero Mode when I needed to upgrade my potions...I would go out on a search to find the supplies and enough rupees. But, other than that I never even thought about rupees as an issue. You're probably correct though that something changed, and I wouldn't be surprised if the designers just felt like making the game that little bit more challenging. I personally remember complaining on ZD a while back about how the rupees in TP were too easy to find and I hated putting them back in the chests over and over again.

Kirino

Tatakae
You can barely find any rupees at all in Skyloft. That's the last place you should go for rupees. Try Faron Woods. Anyways, I didn't really have that much trouble. I hardly ever have to acually go out and find rupees, and I bought everything and got 100%. I did find it more difficult than any other Zelda game(except for the original) but not as difficult as you're saying.

i kinda like having a hard time to find rupees. ocarina of time was too easy to find rupees like many zelda games. when i saw something at the store, i wasnt like oooooh thats expensive because i can just go to the house in castle town and break all the pots and leave and go back in. this game made you think about saving your money.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The rupee system in Skyward Sword was not messed up at all. In fact, it was one of the better ones in the series. You almost always needed rupees, whether it was for buying merchandise from Beedle or upgrading your gear.

Anyways, perhaps you had trouble finding rupees because you were looking the wrong places? Whenever I need rupees, I go down to Faron Woods and cut down every. Single. Thing. Every blade of grass, every bush, every tree with a glowing spot, every monster, even every flower. I usually make a lot of rupees that way. Eldin Volcano is also a great place to find rupees, what with all of the digging patches.

As for Skyloft, it should be painfully obvious that it's a terrible place to find rupees. There aren't a lot of breakable objects, and even if there were, the size of Skyloft pales in comparison to that of the surface. With more ground to cover, it should be common sense that there would be a lot more chances to find rupees anywhere on the surface as opposed to Skyloft.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm with everyone in saying that SS' rupee system wasn't bad, just that you were cutting down in the wrong area. Skyloft isn't all too useful, I prefer the dungeons and of course Faron Woods. :)

I never noticed my rupee count in SS because i didnt use them for one damn thing.

I hated the shields so i didn't use them and there was no point in upgrading them if they were gonna break anyway.
I never use potions in Zelda (and i really didn't need to in this game)
There were no items that i needed to buy that i couldnt find out in the field.
I looked at a guide to find where to get the rupee wallets and got those and thats it

The only time i did use my rupees was near the end of the game when i eventually payed Beedle a visit and bought a piece of heart, or a whole heart or a heart medal or something like that and then i upgraded some of my main items but by that point i had enough rupees anyway to upgrade nearly everything in one visit.

Was it just me though or did the rupees look really fat?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD

In Skyward Sword, rupees finally have worth. It's too bad that they're impossible to find.

Skyloft has hardly any stuff to smash. There are almost no pots, and there is very little grass, and when you do find a pot to break or some grass to cut, more than half the time it will have zero rupees in it.

Enemies hardly drop anything, if rupees at all. It's pointless to kill enemies unless they're in your way or if they're bugging you.

I cannot think of any effective way to collect rupees. It sucks.

It's not about that finding them isn't easy. It's that they were handed to us efficiently along the way to the point where we would have just enough to buy what we needed to buy at specific intervals in the game. I'd say that's better than collecting buttloads without anything to spend them on.

The rupee system in Skyward Sword was not messed up at all. In fact, it was one of the better ones in the series. You almost always needed rupees, whether it was for buying merchandise from Beedle or upgrading your gear.

Anyways, perhaps you had trouble finding rupees because you were looking the wrong places? Whenever I need rupees, I go down to Faron Woods and cut down every. Single. Thing. Every blade of grass, every bush, every tree with a glowing spot, every monster, even every flower. I usually make a lot of rupees that way. Eldin Volcano is also a great place to find rupees, what with all of the digging patches.

As for Skyloft, it should be painfully obvious that it's a terrible place to find rupees. There aren't a lot of breakable objects, and even if there were, the size of Skyloft pales in comparison to that of the surface. With more ground to cover, it should be common sense that there would be a lot more chances to find rupees anywhere on the surface as opposed to Skyloft.

I looked there too and found like three rupees. I hate the rupee system in SS, in any other LoZ game I can just find arrows in the grass but not in SS nope, you're practically forced to buy arrows from a freak you hate.

It's not about that finding them isn't easy. It's that they were handed to us efficiently along the way to the point where we would have just enough to buy what we needed to buy at specific intervals in the game. I'd say that's better than collecting buttloads without anything to spend them on.

That never happened to me.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Wow, you really couldn't find any rupees? Shame. I personally thought Rupees were rather abundant in Skyward Sword. I found them so often, my wallet was constantly full! I had no trouble at all finding them. As far as the rupee system goes, SS had the best rupee system; BY FAR. Compared to games such as Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword's rupees didn't sit in your wallet never being spent. There was a lot to buy, ranging from medals to treasures, it worked perfectly. Rupees seemed to appear very often in the Eldin and Lanayru regions. Not so much in the Faron Woods region (that's just something I noticed). If you want to look for rupees to fill that giant wallet of your's, go look in those areas. ;)

Kirino

Tatakae
I looked there too and found like three rupees. I hate the rupee system in SS, in any other LoZ game I can just find arrows in the grass but not in SS nope, you're practically forced to buy arrows from a freak you hate.

That never happened to me.

You're exaggerating. It's not THAT difficult to find rupees. I can go to Faron Woods for 10 minutes and find a couple hundred rupees easily. I has enough rupees to buy everything in the game and get 100%, and I barely had to go out and look at rupees.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Um... The arrows have nothing to do with the rupee system. You're thinking of the item drop system. By the way, arrows are part of the item drop. You can find them very easily in Lanayru Caves, as well as from defeating Bokoblin archers. You don't have to buy them from Rupin.

Oh, and another tip for finding rupees... The two Rupee Medals exist for a reason. ;)

I was actually quite fond of the rupee system in SS.

I felt while rupees weren't necessarily jumping out of every enemy, pot, etc., that was okay. It made it more of a challenge to actually save up and by something, which I like. Goods in Skyward Sword were much more "strategically" priced, you could say, in the sense that things weren't too boringly cheap or annoyingly expensive. I feel the supply/ demand of Skyward Sword worked in harmony. There were enough rupees to get by, not too little and not too many to the point where you'd run around with a filled up wallet having to ignore silver-rupee chests . . . like in previous games.

Skyward Sword was very realistic in the sense that money isn't always going to be there. Sometimes you have to work for it, and when you do you reap the rewards. I'm not sure if this message was intended, but it certainly makes sense. Why should Link be able to find money in every bush he cuts down when I don't even find enough money in my own pay check? xD

Just sell treasure. at night go to the rich womans house. you know the one with the big cheecks and has a snoby laugh. at night you can sell treasure to her husband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom