• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Destructoid Gives ALBW a 6.5/10

I disagree with the review a lot; though I haven't played the game I feel like I have a good grasp of it by now and it looks like an extremely fun game that I'm going to enjoy, with plenty of fun and creativity and inspiration in the design (if I turn out to be wrong, I'll obviously amend that stance but for now that's how it is for me). They say it doesn't have "heart" but it looks like it has plenty to me; that was a similar argument to what I see some people say about Skyward Sword and I enjoy that game as well.

But that's about it. I disagree with it. Big whoop. It's a review written by someone else, so it doesn't need to be my opinion. It's that guy's opinion and he's free to post it up. I'm free to think he's wrong -- and I do -- but him posting his review online doesn't affect the game at all.

6.5 is not even average, that is well below, which is in contrast to the high scores all other major game reviewers are giving. People were upset when SS was given an 8/10 by Gamespot so I imagine this has the potential to cause some upset.
On most smartly arranged scales, 5 is the middle ranking. 5 is average. No more good than bad. Anything above 5 means the game has more good going for it than bad, while 4 and under mean the opposite. They gave A Link Between Worlds a good score, just barely. Also people had a huge collective bellyaching about GameSpot's Skyward Sword review, yeah, but that was super ridiculous as it will be if it happens here. :P Thankfully it doesn't seem to be. I feel like maybe Zelda fans have learned their lesson after this happened with the last game, or maybe a bad review for a handheld Zelda game just isn't seen as worth the rage one for a home-console game is. :xd:

As long as they're not doing it to provoke Zelda fans into complaining and getting more views, then whatever, I don't care.
You probably shouldn't care even if they are doing it for that reason, considering that getting mad about it would just be doing what they want. :P Either way there's really no reason to assume that's their intent.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No it's not, the Destructoid little review score explanation even says 'above average'. Though it is a lower than other websites, yeah.

Well, in any case, no one's going to like every game, that's pretty much for certain and lots of games that get massive critical praise have 1 or 2 negative reviews. But this just tells us the people who didn't like it are in the minority. The review reads like a man bored of Zelda though, since the conclusion just hammers home the fact that nothing's new and it's not as good as ALTTP, but doesn't actually say the gameplay and everything itself is, objectively, bad. So I'm sure any fans of Zelda wouldn't have a problem with it.

I meant that the score itself is below average. Considering most games that are considered good get scores of 80 and above.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
It's cute how you think A Link to the Past is bare bones, yet you endlessly praise Twilight Princess.

I'm impressed. He really praised a Zelda Game? I've only read his comments when he is complaining about Zelda Games :D

Anyway. The Destructoid Review is the only Review over at Metacritic with an mixed Score. I did not bother to read the complete Review. Well, there will always be a more popular magazine writing a mixed Review about a Zelda Game. No problems here.

Well, I think no one will remember, but I posted a mixed Review about Skyward Sword before the game was released. The Review was written by 4Players Jörg Luibl, giving the game a score of 84% and he was not impressed. The same Jörg Luibl now gave A Link Between Worlds 92%. He wrote the game will be remembered as a classic in the future. He was really impressed, with only 2 flaws: No surprise when it comes to the Story and Soundtrack.

If your German skills are good, you will find the Review at Metacritic or just click this :): http://www.4players.de/4players.php...he_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_Between_Worlds.html

It is well written. I was very upset about his critics against Skyward Sword. But his praise for A Link Between Worlds restored my opinion about his past scores.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Also people had a huge collective bellyaching about GameSpot's Skyward Sword review, yeah, but that was super ridiculous as it will be if it happens here. :P Thankfully it doesn't seem to be. I feel like maybe Zelda fans have learned their lesson after this happened with the last game, or maybe a bad review for a handheld Zelda game just isn't seen as worth the rage one for a home-console game is. :xd:

From what I recall, most of the "bellyaching" about that review was that Tom McShea criticized the controls for often being inaccurate and unresponsive when he just didn't know how to play the game right, as made clear by his capture footage and a video of him playing the game trying to prove that he was right. He also said in an interview (I believe in the video of him playing the game) that even if the controls were perfect, he wouldn't raise the score up from a 7.5... which is ridiculous, since he spent practically half of his review whining about them.

It wasn't so much the score itself as it was the reviewer's reasoning FOR the score.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's cute how you think A Link to the Past is bare bones, yet you endlessly praise Twilight Princess.

Comparing the stories, combat, and puzzles are laughable. aLttP has the most basic of stories, little puzzle, extremely basic combat and is short. TP is one of the longest titles, has the most story by far, rivals Skyward Sword in combat depth, and, like most modern titles, has far more puzzle focus.

You actually care about stories in Zelda games? Really? I though you didn't.

No, no...I do. They're fairly entertaining. They just aren't anything special. But I'm fine with the balance Nintendo's been keeping with them lately. And ultimately, the story's the main thing that keeps a game memorable when it comes to Zelda. At least IMO.

I'm impressed. He really praised a Zelda Game? I've only read his comments when he is complaining about Zelda Games :D

I don't like fanboying when I can avoid it. It's rather vulgar, pointless, and unbecoming.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Comparing the stories, combat, and puzzles are laughable. aLttP has the most basic of stories, little puzzle, extremely basic combat and is short. TP is one of the longest titles, has the most story by far, rivals Skyward Sword in combat depth, and, like most modern titles, has far more puzzle focus.
Almost all Zelda games had very basic combat.....SS is different because of Wii Motion plus.....

No, no...I do. They're fairly entertaining. They just aren't anything special. But I'm fine with the balance Nintendo's been keeping with them lately. And ultimately, the story's the main thing that keeps a game memorable when it comes to Zelda. At least IMO.
I had the complete opposite impression of you all this time.....

I don't like fanboying when I can avoid it. It's rather vulgar, pointless, and unbecoming.
There's nothing wrong with fanboying as long as you'r not insulting anybody.

Salem

SICK
You probably shouldn't care even if they are doing it for that reason, considering that getting mad about it would just be doing what they want. :P Either way there's really no reason to assume that's their intent.
You're right, their goal is it get more views, but ya know, game journalist complain about fanboys and the like, it'll be odd if they just WANT them to complain more, so it's like they attract the negative attention from fanboys, which is the exact thing journalists don't want, so all I'm saying that will be weird if that's the case.

Where was I going with this again? I lost my train of thought...

Last edited:
you know stuff like this really gets on my nerves, call of duty modern warfare 3 is so generic and similar to the other cod games but it gets a 9.5?!?! This website thinks albw lacks heart yet gives a crappy game like cod a much higher score than it deserves. It makes you wonder if they even played the game.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Dunno why everyone is flying into a rage over something they haven't played...

Almost all Zelda games had very basic combat.....SS is different because of Wii Motion plus.....

You're kidding right? Spirit Tracks and OoT have the same combat? aLttP and TP combat can be compared? ...Well your opinion I guess.

I had the complete opposite impression of you all this time.....

Story's fine...I just don't like it when people either

A) Say they should abandon it completely, like it takes a crap load of time to do or something

or

:cool: Give the story too much credit and try to analyze all of this non-existent symbolism and behave like utter fanboys.

There's nothing wrong with fanboying as long as you'r not insulting anybody.

Eh, I find it annoying. Sorta like when someone can't shut up about their religion (or lack of) and are constantly shoving it down the public's throat. It looks ignorant and close minded as well.

Salem

SICK
Dunno why everyone is flying into a rage over something they haven't played...
No one has....

You're kidding right? Spirit Tracks and OoT have the same combat? aLttP and TP combat can be compared? ...Well your opinion I guess.
I meant as in they're all basic, but not the same way, I found SS to be significanty more complex than the rest of the series, I guess I wasn't clear about it.

Story's fine...I just don't like it when people either

A) Say they should abandon it completely, like it takes a crap load of time to do or something

or

:cool: Give the story too much credit and try to analyze all of this non-existent symbolism and behave like utter fanboys.
A-ehh, I felt SS got too many long unskippable cutscenes, it discouraged me from repeating the game, TP had it easier...

B-Some people find it fun.

Eh, I find it annoying. Sorta like when someone can't shut up about their religion (or lack of) and are constantly shoving it down the public's throat. It looks ignorant and close minded as well.
Like I said, as long no one is being insulted, or hurt in any way, it's fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom