• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Demise's Hatred?, How About His Other Emotions

Salem

SICK
Okay, so we all know by now that Ganondorf is a "reincarnation/manifestation" of Demise's hatred.

Is hatred the ONLY emotion Demise is capable of having? To be specific, is it the only emotion that lingers in Hyrule? What about his happiness? Does his happiness gets "born anew in a new cycle that never ends"? What about his fear?

Do you think there are other beings that represent other emotions that Demise has in Hyrule?

I think the 'Hatred' was more metaphorical than anything, however if we take it at face value I'd say it's because it was his most powerful emotion and the one that drove his being and existence. Not that he was devoid of all other emotions, it was just powerful enough to not die out when he did. I don't think the other emotions would go on. I'm not sure I'd want to see his Happiness or Virility reincarnated and walking around after all.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd say Demise only has hatred. Evil doesn't love...except to destroy, but that's something different entirely. I think Demise was based purely around power - and as 1984 points out, power is power over human beings, which leads to pain anguish hatred and other such things. ;p

What.

Obviously, he has other emotions as shown during his little screen time. He's cocky, but actually treats Link as a threat, hates the goddesses, and generally treats people who stand up to him with some respect, while casually brushing aside everyone else. I'd say arrogance, cockiness, and intimidation are emotions outside of the range of pure hatred.

Did you want a side story DLC with him skipping through a field of flowers with Link or something?

He was trying to curse Link and Zelda, not give them a lifetime of happiness. I'm sure his traits of hella awesome baking skills and knitting were with him until his death.

Salem

SICK
You know, it will be really hilarious if Tingle turned out to be a manifestation of his greed.....

Did you want a side story DLC with him skipping through a field of flowers with Link or something?
Well, if Mario can play go-karting, golf, tennis etc with Bowser......

He was trying to curse Link and Zelda, not give them a lifetime of happiness. I'm sure his traits of hella awesome baking skills and knitting were with him until his death.
I would love to see that.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I think in the introduction Skyward Sword Manga Hylia "blesses" the first Link so that every time evil arises, a young man with his spirit, the spirit of the hero, will stop it. I'm not sure if the manga's canon, though.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I believe Demise had hatred, and that made up most of him, but deep inside that hatred I believe there was a sense of honor, however small I believe it is there.

In Skyward Sword, when Demise appears and speaks to Link, he could've easily just launched an attack and probably disposed of Link quickly. But he didn't. Instead he told Link to prepare himself and when he was ready to come and face him. He recognized Link as a person who possessed honor and courage, and that intrigued Demise. Had it been Groose or somebody who Demise came upon first, I don't think he would've had a seconds thought disposing of him, Link however he saw as a worthy adversary, and dealt with the situation honorably, allowing Link to properly prepare himself for the coming conflict. In the end, it was Demise's honor that cost him his life.

I believe Demise's honor traveled with his hatred as well. In Ocarina of Time, when Link and Ganondorf first cross paths when Link is a young boy, Ganondorf could've easily disposed of the boy without a seconds thought, but instead, he didn't. I think it was due to his sense of honor. Killing a boy isn't the most honorable thing ever. He did teach the impudent boy a lesson, by blasting him with a surge of power, but he didn't kill him. Why? The only explanation in my mind is that he has some form of honor.

Salem

SICK
I think in the introduction Skyward Sword Manga Hylia "blesses" the first Link so that every time evil arises, a young man with his spirit, the spirit of the hero, will stop it. I'm not sure if the manga's canon, though.
No, it's not canon, bro.

I think hatred is what created Demise, but I don't think that is his only emotion. He displays respect (to a degree), strategy, and calm.
What?

I believe Demise's honor traveled with his hatred as well. In Ocarina of Time, when Link and Ganondorf first cross paths when Link is a young boy, Ganondorf could've easily disposed of the boy without a seconds thought, but instead, he didn't. I think it was due to his sense of honor. Killing a boy isn't the most honorable thing ever. He did teach the impudent boy a lesson, by blasting him with a surge of power, but he didn't kill him. Why? The only explanation in my mind is that he has some form of honor.
I always figured Ganon was just venting his frustration by toying with Link, if he had a reason to kill Link, he wouldn't hesitate, he isn't "nice"
ya know?:wynaut:
Well, he was shown to smile when wielding his sword again, and he has a high amount of confidence/arrogance, but Demise basically IS hatred -- as in the literal embodiment of it -- so... this is kind of an odd topic to begin with. XD
My pleasure.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Please don't tell me you took offense to that...

isabelle_by_veloxiraptor-d698565.jpg

It's rather ridiculous to believe that almost any character has only one emotion that he/she is capable of expressing. Obviously Demise had to have a lot of pent up rage in order for him to express his hatred. There are also moments where he shows a sense of pride in his capabilities. One could even assume that when the Goddess sealed him within the Sealed Grounds that he felt a sense of shame, and was possibly envious of her victory. Though we may only see one side of a character, we should never assume that they only have very few emotions. Lastly...

JJ said:
but Demise basically IS hatred

I kind of disagree here, mainly because of this:

Demise's Final Words said:
An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think Demise is an unloving being that contains no love to counteract the hatred. To draw a comparison, and please don't flame me on this because it's kind of a relevant analogy, look at Voldemort in Harry Potter. JK Rowling said Voldemort was incapable of love, and that is what kills him in the end, because that is what means he is unable to defeat Harry. He could use other people, convince them to follow him, but he never had any friends. I think there's a similar kind of magic in Demise and Link. I think maybe Link's defeat of him in the past, present and future, time and time again, protected the world from Demise ever reappearing in his full terror; I mean, we have to assume he himself is worse than any reincarnation, because he was able to defeat a goddess. However, he left his mark in small ways: in his greed for the Triforce, and the wish he would employ with it (to destroy the world), killing Hylia... those things are the only things tying him to the world. Therefore, any other things about him are irrelevant in comparison. He is clearly sadistic and evil- I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

Taking what I said about the comparison to Voldemort (and other villains in other stories), the ultimate villain is the one who has no redeeming quality, they are just evil and hateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom