• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Deleting Social Media Accounts

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Have any of you gotten so fed up with any sort of social media that you deleted your account entirely? I did it with facebook a few years ago, but got back on recently to keep up with law school events (because for some reason, they announce stuff on fb assuming everyone has it). But I hate it, and I'm thinking of getting rid of it again.

Which made me think of this topic.

D

Deleted member 14134

I recently deleted Facebook after never using it. My real friends have my number and know how to get in touch with me if they want to. I'm ended up blocking everyone's content because I really didn't care about what was posted 99% of the time. I use Twitter to keep up with certain events/companies/teams. Otherwise I don't tweet at all but I don't see myself getting rid of my Twitter any time soon.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I use Facebook a lot still, though I don't post anything or upload thousands of pictures anymore. I use it for group chats with irl friends and to keep in touch with people I don't otherwise get the chance to talk to. It's really convenient for that. I also like to stalk people, but shh, we'll keep that on the down low :bubsy: (I've never... stalked people... from ZD... on Facebook... before... never... ever... hehehe).

I made a Twitter account a few years ago but I haven't signed in since I made it and I don't even remember the login details. Same with tumblr. I was just never really into those sites. I only really use social media to talk to people personally so FB is good enough for that.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I deleted a Facebook from a long time ago. Recently got back on to keep in touch with friends back in the US.

I hate Twitter so much, I deleted that account fairly quickly after I made it. I really don't see the point of it.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I personally don't pretend not to enjoy using social media. I have no issue with it and I don't find it annoying. I find it a useful tool in keeping up to date with my friends and family and I use it to communicate with people I know both irl and online. I don't classify people as 'real' or 'fake' friends. I use facebook and twitter regularly. I have an instagram account I don't use very often myself but I do like to look at other people's stuff on there.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No I've never been fed up with it. I use it to find out the latest gossip. I never upload pictures or post statuses, it is simply a tool for me to keep an eye on everyone. I also like pug and French bulldog pages so I get pictures on my feed.

I use Facebook as an easy communication tool. I have tons of friends all over the world who I can't see everyday, and Facebook is a fantastic way to keep in touch with them. I also use it to communicate with the members of the event group I'm in, promote my music, and ocassionally just to kill some time at the bus stop.

I've considered getting rid of facebook for years due to things I don't like about the experience, but it has just enough positives to keep me on. I really like twitter though, it's meaningless and stupid and fun but also super informative and you can follow/unfollow people without it being such a big deal.

The thing about annoying Facebook features is that you don't need to use them. If I don't want to know what people had for dinner I don't have to browse that.

Dan

I've yet to create a Facebook or Twitter account to delete. Well... I made a twitter account the other day solely to find out what happened to 2mooglesgaming, I'll never use it again though.

I first learned and heard about social networking tools in high school, at that time everyone was using MSN messenger, IRC, Myspace and Bebo. I think Bebo may have been more popular in the UK as whenever people talk about old social networks online it's usually Myspace.
I was introduced to MSN messenger first which was pretty neat, I could hold long conversations with friends on a full size keyboard and it wouldn't cost me a penny, back then the only alternative to conversing with friends was texting with that horrid 123 keyboard... oh and you could like hang out with them in reality and maybe call them but this was 2000-2006 not the 1960's.
Then came my introduction to social networking websites Bebo and Myspace. Now I don't hate my High School experience, it had its ups and downs, but it has to be one of the most irritating periods in anyone's life, with it's cliques, caste system, and general egotism mounted onto stupidity, naturally this isn't going to transfer well onto a web page, and it didn't. For a long time my early experience of social networking sites jaded my general outlook on them.

It's only been a couple of years since I've thought of social networks a little more positively. I can see now that it helps bring communities together when it's not always possible to work physically close to one another. Animal shelters will often spread the word through facebook about missing pets in a certain area. Usually that pet will be found and returned within days due to the local community keeping extra watch.

I have no plan to register a Facebook or Twitter account. The disadvantages still outweigh the positives for me. I don't want to take the time to manage my feed so it only shows relevant results that aren't "dur hur meme, I had chilled beans last night and check out this duck face i took while riding the rollar coaster, p.s i was sick all over me bf at the end lol".

I have no plan to register a Facebook or Twitter account. The disadvantages still outweigh the positives for me. I don't want to take the time to manage my feed so it only shows relevant results that aren't "dur hur meme, I had chilled beans last night and check out this duck face i took while riding the rollar coaster, p.s i was sick all over me bf at the end lol".

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, though I'd like to add that managing your feed isn't necessary at all - because you're not even required to look at it. I know because I rarely do. I check Facebook when someone messages me, basically.

Dan

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, though I'd like to add that managing your feed isn't necessary at all - because you're not even required to look at it. I know because I rarely do. I check Facebook when someone messages me, basically.

Yeah that's fair enough. I was just adding that argument since I see many people complaining about their Facebook feed being filled with undesirable information.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Yeah that's fair enough. I was just adding that argument since I see many people complaining about their Facebook feed being filled with undesirable information.

I find that the benefits do not outweigh the costs either. To be honest, if you're my real friend, you have my phone number. I don't upload anything and I never make messages, but I do see asinine crap on my feed all of the time. Usually it's racist, hateful, or "controversial".

On a side note, what did happen to 2Moogles? They vanished from YouTube!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom