• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Deku Nut Upgrade Question...

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
Ok so I searched for this in the forum for a thread and couldn't find anything and didn't feel like combing the walkthroughs to find the answer :p

I recently found online something to do with the fact that you can get a maximum upgrade of Deku Nuts to 40. From what I recall, playing through OoT numerous times, you can get it up to 40 but not after a certain event in the game. I have yet to do my upgrades for this play through but is this theory true? I would be upset if I couldn't get all my upgrades.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
I've read this only happens with OOT Master Quest, where there is a glitch in which you cannot get this upgrade since you take out the Master Sword for the first time, so it is impossible to get the upgrade in Master Quest if you've already taken out the Master Sword from the pedestal at least once.

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
Well apparently its this thing called a "missable upgrade". Supposedly if you don't go to the forest stage with the Mask of Truth before you become an adult then they only give you rupees. I can't get it on my OoT VC so now I have to start all over again. Yay!

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Yes it's true. Once you pull the Master Sword for the first time, the Mask of Truth will give a totally different response. You'll get a random response instead of the upgrade. This bug exists in all versions of the game. N64, GCN, and VC.
See: Deku Nut Upgrade

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
Just sucks because I was so close to 100% now I started a new game. I sat for an hour going in and out hoping that they would still give it to me but I still got some funny responses. Sometimes the would just stare like they froze or something.

Majora's Cat

How about that
The glitch occurred for me. I had a weird copy of OoT, so none of the masks gave me the Deku Nut upgrade. It's pretty depressing...

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It always worked for me, but then every time I bothered to collect the Deku Nut upgrade, I did it before pulling the Master Sword... probably because it was the last useful thing I could do as a child before becoming an adult. In fact, for the sake of efficiency, I usually obtain most upgrades as early as possible if I bother to pick them up. You can actually get a Deku Stick upgrade before ever entering the Deku Tree if you go into the Lost Woods, for instance.

The beta testers probably did the same thing, which is why the bug was never worked out.

Can't you just count your game as 100%, despite not getting that one Deku Nut upgrade? How often do you use Deku Nuts, anyway? Besides, it's not your fault that you couldn't get it.

Or, you could start a new file, and play up to the point before you pull the Master Sword, get the Mask of Truth, go to get the Deku Nut upgrade, and stop playing. If you keep your original file, you can say you got 100% of the upgrades. You just don't have to mention that you didn't get them all on the same file. ;)

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
It always worked for me, but then every time I bothered to collect the Deku Nut upgrade, I did it before pulling the Master Sword... probably because it was the last useful thing I could do as a child before becoming an adult. In fact, for the sake of efficiency, I usually obtain most upgrades as early as possible if I bother to pick them up. You can actually get a Deku Stick upgrade before ever entering the Deku Tree if you go into the Lost Woods, for instance.

The beta testers probably did the same thing, which is why the bug was never worked out.

Can't you just count your game as 100%, despite not getting that one Deku Nut upgrade? How often do you use Deku Nuts, anyway? Besides, it's not your fault that you couldn't get it.

Or, you could start a new file, and play up to the point before you pull the Master Sword, get the Mask of Truth, go to get the Deku Nut upgrade, and stop playing. If you keep your original file, you can say you got 100% of the upgrades. You just don't have to mention that you didn't get them all on the same file. ;)

I see what you did thar :p

Sadly I'm a completest, now that I know its something I can't get it will bug me. Though I do love your idea ;)

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Sadly I'm a completest, now that I know its something I can't get it will bug me. Though I do love your idea ;)

Well, then... what if you just start up a new file, make sure to get that upgrade, get all the other upgrades as well, and beat the game?

It seems like that would solve your problem of needing to complete the game 100%. You should halt your current game immediately and begin a file that you can finish.

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
I have, I'm on the Deku Tree right as we speak, about to fight Gohma. I didn't find out about the missable upgrade until I was gathering my remaining heart pieces and skulltulas before heading off to Ganon's Castle. :/ Its cool though. I have the time to kill. Should only take me 3 or 4 days >.<

To get the upgrade you need to talk go to the forest and go to that area where you show those Deku Scrubs your Mask of Truth. Then walk up to the big Deku guy who is the leader of the Deku's and he will give you the upgrade.

Here is a video for all upgrades on my youtube page

Also look here for all of the extras for Ocarina of Time. The only extras I don't have are for Ocarina of Time Master Quest Only. I haven't finished those yet.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6D7D203D74B5D8F7

Last edited by a moderator:
i hate missable upgrades..
like the light arrows in TMC
i guess ill start a new file get the upgrade and stop there

Z

ZeldaNut

It's when you pick up the Poacher's Saw, as part of the Biggoron's Sword chain quest. Somebody on Youtube posted a video about it, showing the Deku Nut upgrade (for the Mask of Truth) available, then getting the Poacher's Saw from a character in the Lost Woods, then showing the Deku Nut upgrade no longer available.

Picking up any item or completing any task in OoT sets flags for the quest status in the game's memory. A programmer accidentally used the same flag for the Poacher's Saw as was used for that Deku Nut upgrade, ie. there is a slight overlap in the flags for items gathered in the Lost Woods. It makes sense since game designers tend to group flags for one area together, and both the Deku Nut upgrade and the Poacher's Saw are obtained in the Lost Woods. So when you get the Poacher's Saw, the game mistakenly records that you have completed the Deku Nut upgrade as well.

It most likely affects ALL versions of the game. It's just that some of you got the upgrade after getting the Master Sword and becoming an adult but still before getting the Poacher's Saw, and thought you had a "fixed version" of the game.

Try it yourself. Leave the Deku Nut upgrade (for the Mask of Truth) until you get up to the point where you get the Poacher's Saw in the Lost Woods. Don't get the Saw yet (It might be a good idea to save your game here). Try the Mask of Truth at the judges and you should see the BIG Deku Scrub wake up, showing you the Deku Nut upgrade is available. Without getting the upgrade, exit the hole and reenter. Try it again. It should do the same thing every time (wake up big Scrub) until you get the upgrade. The game doesn't randomize the Deku Scrub reaction until the upgrade is gone. Now if you got the upgrade, reload your game so that you don't have it. Head to the room where you get the Poacher's Saw and get it. Now try the Mask of Truth for the judges and they should now act like they already gave you the upgrade (they will do random things now: attack you or leave rupies, etc.). That should have proven it to you.

P

princess-kikyo

Everytime I have gone to the forest stage.. it is completely empty, aside from the sign and the graphics itself.. :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom