• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Decision: Is Skyward Sword the Best Zelda Game on the Market?

C

Crimson327

Although I'm not sure why I'm choosing this as my first thread post, I'm wanting to discuss this. I have no doubt in saying that The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a good game, but I was very disappointed. I loved the story and all, but I was never a fan of the game play elements. I honestly prefer the button mashing traditional control scheme for Zelda games, rather than motion control. What do you guys think?
What is your favorite Zelda game? Do you think Skyward Sword is the best? If so, why, and if not, why not?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I have to say that I prefer the motion controls over button mashing (although I have nothing against it). It just brings the Zelda formula to a whole new light and creates a more interactive Zelda experience. My favorite Zelda game was always Ocarina of Time, and I still have trouble deciding on what my favorite Zelda game is, but I'm going to go with Skyward Sword. It's just an amazing game with an amazing gameplay formula.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I think it is a well designed game but my arms do get tired after a while from swinging them around and every time I fought Ghirahim my arms would be sore for the rest of the day. But it was a fun experience.

Yes, i think it is the best Zelda game currently on the market, considering the fact that other games are no longer on it. Skyward Sword is my favorite game, but it is certainly not the best. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask had such few flaws. They were almost perfect, so if they were on the market, they would be the best, however they aren't. And with the zelda games that currently are, SS is the best out of them.

L

Linebeck II

I love Skyward Sword, but the main reason for this is not the control scheme, but the level-design. The fact that every area basically feels like a huge dungeon filled with puzzles, battles and challenges just feels so much better than endless walking until you finally reach the dungeon as seen in twilight princess for example (not saying that TP was a bad game, it just felt a little boring while advancing to the next parts at some times). And while you solve the areas in skyward sword, you open up several shortcuts so when you are finished with the area (and reach the dungeon) you leave an open area behind that you can explore like you usually can in other Zeldagames.

That is what really made that game for me, it had many great aspects, but this one just stood atop the others and I hope they will never change that formula in future games.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, I think it's currently the greatest game ever made. Everything about it impressed the hell out of me. I've been playing Zelda for over 12 years, and OoT was my first game in the series (as well as one of my first games in general), and I can say without a doubt that I've never had as much fun playing a Zelda game since that fateful day that I met the Zelda series back in '99. Not only do I consider it to be the best game out there, it's my all-time favorite.

MW7

Well my favorite Zelda is Majora's Mask, and I'd say Skyward Sword at least should be in the discussion of the greatest Zelda games ever. Personally I found the linearity of the game to really hurt the replay value so I wouldn't place it as high as games like Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, or Ocarina of Time, but Skyward Sword is definitely one of the best Zelda games. Of course the game has technical superiorities over every game in the series, but I really just focus on the gameplay and feel that it's not quite the best in that department (still very good though). So it really depends on your perspective, but from mine it's definitely not the best.

At this point in time I'd rank the main console Zelda games: A Link to the Past > Legend of Zelda > Ocarina of Time > Wind Waker = Skyward Sword > Majora's Mask > Twilight Princess > Adventure of Link. I'm not really sure why, but this is how I perceive the relative quality of the games in the series.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Skyward Sword is a great game. But as Zelda games go, it was definitely not my favorite. It is around my top 4 or 5. I had a few problems with this game. One of them is that while playing the game I kept thinking of the ways it could be improved, like how the overworld was just a big hassle and discouraged me from going farther. And there wasn't enough to do in Skyloft to just mindlessly goof around for awhile. The biggest problem I had was that i had to keep reminding myself that I was playing a Zelda game. It just didnt feel like Zelda to me for some reason.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I'd say it's the best Zelda game because it was the most fun and it had a lot of what I could ask for in that game. My only complaint is that I wish it was more open-world like the previous ones.

Linkwolf

Worship the Strangeness
It may be the most bought but skyward sword probably is comparable to Ocarina of Time, the first 3D Zelda game. Both are great breakthroughs.

J

jorden1506

in py opinion it is but i never really played zelda until skyward sword for christmas

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
Depending on what "on the market" means in this case. If it is meaning still in production, yes. Of all time? Still yes.

zeldatreasure

zeldatreasurechest
If I chose a favorite based the number of times I have completed the game it would have to be the originial Legend of Zelda. This was my first Zelda game and my favorite. The games have only gotten better and better over the years, but the childhood connection I have with the original is undeniable. I think it boils down to which game you cut your teeth on in determining your favorite. Regardless, I loved the motion controls of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. It was definitely an adjustment, but it gives the games even more of an appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom