• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Darksiders II First Impressions

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Okay, I just got this game, so I figured I'd give my initial impressions on it. (That's it for the intro. Let's delve right in.)

I must say, I really like the opening for this game. The opening scenery is gorgeous, and the fight with the Crowfather, while a bit repetitive, was really fun. I'm really digging Death's dodging. It's so much more fluent and independent than War's blocking. I kinda wish I could do both, but dodging fits Death's style, so I can look past that.

The loot system is also really tight. It's actually something I wouldn't mind seeing in Zelda. I'm also really glad that this game has actual money rather than souls for currency. I didn't really like Darksiders' economy, but Darksiders II's seems like it'll be pretty good. If it's anywhere close to Skyward Sword's economy, I'm really going to like it. And buying other weapons with it? Totally awesome.

I think what I'm enjoying the most, though, is the game's music. Jesper Kyd has outdone himself with this soundtrack. It's emotionally gripping and an absolute pleasure to listen to. It's easily up there with games like Metroid Prime, Mega Man Zero, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Super Mario Galaxy/SMG2, and Skyward Sword regarding this. It's just simply legendary.

There are some flaws I've noticed right off the bat, though. First off, the frame rate and screen tearing issues from Darksiders are back. They're not nearly as bad, mind you, but the fact that they're still there is inexcusable. There's no reason for them to be back with this game having a 2 year development cycle and Vigil being fully funded this time around. There are also occasional times that the controls will bork out, especially with the parkour. It's just a shame that these issues exist, because they shatter the game's otherwise fantastic immersion. It's not enough to keep me from playing, though.

The Zelda and God of War influences have returned, as well, but it's not really a major flaw. Darksiders was really bad at copy/pasting these two games, but Darksiders II has unleashed a much more original take on these two franchises. That's a good thing, as it easily ups my respect for Vigil Games. The Prince of Persia/Assassin's Creed II-like parkour is a bit too similar, though, and the fact that it's always incredibly bland makes that an issue, but it's relatively minor compared to the games overall quality so far. The puzzle-solving, while much improved over Darksiders, is also a bit underwhelming at this point, but I've heard it gets better later on in the game, so I guess that's a good thing. Still, it's disappointing that it couldn't have been impressive the whole time. If Vigil can do it later in the game, why not earlier on? They've proven that they can do it. Not doing it the whole game is kind of an insult. But, whatever. The game is still highly entertaining.

The biggest issue so far, however, has been the bosses. They're way too much like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess's boss fights. That's not me complaining about a copy/paste thing, mind you. That's me complaining that they're much too easy and much too boring to fight. Hopefully they'll get better later, because if they don't, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed and mildly agitated.

Overall, the game has been a thrill so far, but there are some minor issues holding it back, as well. They're not comparable to the game's positive aspects, but they're not overlookable, either. That said, I'm certain I'm going to have a blast playing this game, and I'm pretty sure I'll consider it worth recommending to any action/adventure enthusiast. It doesn't seem like Game of the Year quality so far, but it sure seems like a great game. Only time will tell if it maintains its excellence, though. Hopefully it does.

Kirino

Tatakae
Nice impressions. Most of the bosses aren't really that challenging, but they do get better later in the game. The first few bosses are underwhelming. The 4 core bosses in the game are all very fun though, and sometimes pretty difficult. The puzzles get better as well, and the traversal sections get alot better. The addition of new items and abilities enhance both. By the way, how far are you?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Nice impressions. Most of the bosses aren't really that challenging, but they do get better later in the game. The first few bosses are underwhelming. The 4 core bosses in the game are all very fun though, and sometimes pretty difficult. The puzzles get better as well, and the traversal sections get alot better. The addition of new items and abilities enhance both. By the way, how far are you?

Second dungeon.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Drenchfort is kinda lame to be honest i much prefer kingdom of the dead at least there is some satisfaction to killing the undead, plus ARRRRRRRRGUUUUUUL. Sorry couldn't resist doin that.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The only let down to me was the character models on the makers all the other NPC's looked freaking awesome but the makers just looked like rough clay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom