• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Darkness of MM and TP

S

Salus Hyliae

On the darkness of Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess

As a whole, the Legend of Zelda series is light-hearted and rather happy, so games like Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask seem more dark than they really are. If you'll notice, all of the major character in every Zelda game end up alive and happy, I think. For any of the games to be truly dark, this would not be the case.

I've been thinking about what a truly dark Twilight Princess would look like, without blood and gore and language and crap like that. Really, it's crap, believe me...well, for a Zelda game... For this example, I will only include major plot points, because doing the whole thing would take forever. So any way, it would be like this: The game would start out, and you would see that Link and Ilia loved each other very much; a true lasting love. And then the King Bulbo separated them. Then we get to Hyrule castle, and enter Zelda's chambers. There we would see her looking out her large window. Out of that large window we would see the public trial of the King. There he would be accused of treachery and then implied that he is hanged, without actually showing it (this is still a very reigned in series, mind you). Then Zelda would finally speak with epic intro lines, like: "The fate of Hyrule is slowly fading into darkness", and then a lot of talking, which I don't have time for. Then we get to the final area of Twilight, much later. There we would enter Telma's Bar, and lying on the table, weak and helpless, would be Ilia, and not the Zora prince. Let us say she still did not remember you anyway. So Link would be very troubled because he does, remember, still love Ilia. So we skip ahead to where Link helps Telma deliver Ilia to, uhhh, the dude in Kakariko (I can't remember his name), or even better, Link "romantically" takes her on his own horse. But here is the bombshell. She would be killed on the way by the monsters of Hyrule field. Wow. Didn't see that coming. Cue Sonata No. 2 in b-flat major, Marche Funebre. Link would be devastated, he would try to run from reality, ruthlessly slaying beasts right and left. Finally, he would be left on a lonely raining plain, and all he has are his memories of Ilia in the good days. From then on, Link would changed. He wants to take revenge for Ilia, but he is also a moral man, and understands the folly of revenge. He would have a very serious demeanor, and would always remember Ilia. He might even become detached, almost, from the world around him. He wouldn't necessarily hate the minions of Ganondorf, but he would hate Ganondorf himself, deep-down always wanting revenge for Ilia. Oh man, my storytelling is ugly. Oh well... Any way, when Link finally makes it to the top of Hyrule castle, he would Ganondorf, the one he hates so. Then Ganodorf would initiate the fight with cruel taunts about Ilia, while creating an impenetrable barrier between Midna and Link. I think, realistically, the fight would be by the sword alone, and it would be much more Epic. The battle would culminate into Link being thrown to the ground with the master sword shattered, which would suck. Now, here we could have one of two possibilities. We could have ultra-dark, or just semi-dark. One is that Midna could not stand watching any longer, and she would put on the fused shadows and break the barrier. She would then throw herself at Ganondorf, and with the help of light arrows from Zelda, Destroy Ganondorf. Or, say that Princess Zelda could not pray to the Gods for light arrows somehow. Then Midna would throw herself at Ganondorf only to be pathetically thrown aside. Ganondorf would then slowly walk toward the floored Link, cackling all the way with his evil Ganondorf laugh. Ganondorf would then stab Link and kill him. While Link is letting out his final breath, we have a fleeting flashback of Ilia, when she asks Link "Just promise me one thing Link...Stay safe" and a lone tear on Links face. I think at that point, hearts all across the fan nation would stop.

That is dark.

The Legend of Zelda is not like that though...

The thing is, The Legend of Zelda games are made primarily with thoughts of children in mind, and not teens or adults, although they may appeal to us, and I think it should stay that way. We should be less selfish in expecting the Series to grow up with us and let the children of this generation discover the amazing series. Axel said that once, but I can't remember where. Oh well... And Nintendo is a more soft option for games, if you think about it. Unlike Xbox or PS3, where mature games are the majority, Nintendo has a lot of e rated games. If they made a non child-oriented Zelda game, there would not be as many buyers, and that is not what the game makers want, I'm sure. It's almost suprising that they made a T-rated Zelda game.

So any way, what are your thoughts about the Darkness of Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask? Do you think there should be more, or even less, dark Zelda games? Tell me!

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
They are dark in different ways, I personally prefer the darkness from Majora's Mask, which is more the darkness of loneliness, hopelessness and fear.

MM is a more emotional and human darkness, like said above with the loneliness, hopelessness and fear. TP felt like a forced darkness. It was trying to hard to be mature, when MM reached that status based on the writing and character development. Honestly, I may get ripped for this, but while I do think TP was a good game, to me it felt more like a Zelda rip-off then an actual Zelda.

the darkness seems different in the two in mm it was just kind of creepy evilish and tp was just like darkness as in little light and depression

Darkness in a Zelda game needs to be subtle. In MM the dark and creepy nature derived from the impending demise of Clock Town and having to reset events over and over again.

The darkness in MM was done so well, with the music and peoples reactions as doomsday comes sooner. Yet it still has a happy childish feel too it, absolutely perfect.

The darkness in TP and MM were excellent and well put-in, and Nintendo would do no harm in making more. In fact, the Wii-U Zelda looks pretty dark as well.

Fig

The Altruist
The darkness of Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess were perfect for a game like those two. I personally believe that there should be some dark Zelda games, so it can give the series a more sense of variety of the feeling the series gives off. I also believe that they should make a dark Zelda game every 1-3 years. I would like to hope that Zelda WiiU will help give a more darker approach to the storyline of the game.

The mistake is to believe that games are for adults depending how dark they are. That is simply not true, because darkness in itself does not define the maturity or deph of a story. Take for instance The Last Airbender, a series in cartoon form, that is apparently for kids, but has a large fandom due to its in deph story, world and characters.

Zelda does not need dark elements to be a in deph mature experience. It does already deal with marure elements such as betrayel, love and friendship. It just that does happen not to be particularly dark. Also consider the series can be dark in subtle ways, allowing things to happen in mature ways without showing them directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom