• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Dark Link As the Main Villain

Dark Link as Main 3D Villain?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm somewhere in the middle...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

Mr12603

Wasn't he pretty much the villain of Zelda II?

I like the idea of having him as the main villain (especially after Demise's whole 'incarnation of my evil' thing that seems to be why he appeared in Adventure of Link). He would have to be more of the 'silent but deadly' type villain like Bellum or Majora's Mask but it could work well. If Nintendo use this idea I'd like to see dark variants of other Hylain species' too: Dark Gorons, Dark Zoras and Dark Deku Scrubs would be awesome!

I'm in the "no" camp. Dark Link is a great boss (mini, final, or otherwise) because he presents an interesting challenge to the player. He is your equal set against you, and that forces you to push yourself.

But a great boss, even a great final boss, does not equal a great villain. Dark Link is not the villain of AoL. A great villain must be a character, first and foremost, with a personality and motivation of their own. Dark Link's very nature prevents him from having these, and the same things that make him such a great boss make him a very weak villain.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I'm in the "no" camp. Dark Link is a great boss (mini, final, or otherwise) because he presents an interesting challenge to the player. He is your equal set against you, and that forces you to push yourself.

But a great boss, even a great final boss, does not equal a great villain. Dark Link is not the villain of AoL. A great villain must be a character, first and foremost, with a personality and motivation of their own. Dark Link's very nature prevents him from having these, and the same things that make him such a great boss make him a very weak villain.

Then we come back to a question I posed earlier. We've had multiple Links and multiple Zeldas, why can't Nintendo simply make a NEW Dark Link with a Personality? When we need Link to be more adult, we get an adult Link. When Zelda needs to be a queen, we make her a queen. It's quite simple to do with Dark Link, even easier BECAUSE his past counter parts have no Personality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom