• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dérive

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dérive

This totally sounds like something Miyamoto would be into. I randomly came across this several days ago and immediately thought, "This is like the theory that spawned Breath of the Wild!" The exercise is performed as an exploration of the psychogeographical landscape. Participants engage their environment with specific intent to ignore social/structual/urban/precieved boundaries and "dérive" (drift) from fancy to fancy in order to experience the world more fully. This IS Breath of the Wild!

Advertisers and corporations use psychogeography to map out how and where to draw people and send us from one high of experience to the next. According to this Marxist view, this is what makes us consumers: products, feelings, experiences, we objectify and base our fulfillment on the precieved quality of these encounters. This makes us ready to predict and therefore, a bit more controllable.

Video game designers have been doing this since the beginning of time (figuratively). They give us a string of experiences (ha, gamer pun) and link them together with gameplay. Now, I'm a westerner, most developed countries are these days, so I love having a series of experiences linked together with gameplay. Seriously, OoT was fantastic. However, as gaming progresses, a new opportunity opens up.

Breath of the Wild is still a set of experiences linked by gameplay. It's not a flawless game and it's not a higher level of consciousness. The experiences in this game, though, are not all the carefully crafted progression of modular steps formulated throughout the years by the Zelda team, they're something different. The word "modular" is important here.

Skyrim is a great example of a game filled with modular questing. You wander into a town (might as well be nameless) and meet Salin (might as well be nameless). He gives you a quest to clear out the nameless keep of a nameless band of nameless enemies. This is great and Skyrim did a great job of making each quest fun and significant. But that nameless guy in a nameless town could be any guy in any nameless town. BotW got around this by making the quest sightseeing. You may be exploring to find an objective but the true objective, although not obvious, is the exploration itself.the world is not built so that your experiences await you when you've reached your destination, the journey truly is the adventure. You dérive from place to place, finding significance in the everyday and mundane because that's how Nintendo built it. There are still plenty of modular quests that could be about anything and take place anywhere, but the focus is on what you discover peripherally while you are on the quest.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Déreve is a theory and I'm just pointing out how I think it relates to Breath of the Wild. I know it doesn't totally fit the classic ZDI theory definition of "something controversial to debate" but I think it's fun anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom