• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Counterparts (spoilers)

Salem

SICK
No, Yuga isn't necessarily Ganon's "counterpart", he lived centuries after Ganondorf's birth, he was never stated to be ancient in any way in ALBW, so I assume he's a different person.

I honestly started thinking he was... eh, this is hard to word... Like, Impa's counterpart... almost. But... Judging by Yuga's dress, (like how Zelda and Hilda resemble each other in more ways than one), he and Impa do dress somewhat alike... He was probably initially some sort of attendant to Hilda as Impa is to Zelda. I mean, he obviously worked for her, and I don't know what his intentions were before the realization of another Triforce's existence. All I know is that he and Hilda processed the information differently and therefore their plan of action diverged.

But, I still want to think he is some sort of Lorulean equivalent to Impa gone totally sour. I had a screenshot-fest during the ending cutscene of the game, so I have good reference for quotes... when Hilda shows Link and Zelda the Lorule Sacred Realm, she says: "Yuga discovered that there was a strange crack in this grim slate... Through it, we could sense that there was another world beyond ours... a place where the Triforce still existed. He and I devised the scheme that imperiled your kingdom. But I alone will set this right." She deliberately included both of them at the start, when they were in on it together. Yuga was involved in an investigation that would essentially save Lorule (whether he expected that or not). Hilda had to have been aware that he went into the Sacred Realm--that he did not break in like Ganon. Her dialogue would have been different if he had done such a deed.

This notion has also allowed for me to ponder about whether or not he actually is of the Demon Tribe or not. I mean, back in Skyward Sword, if you think about it, the Sheikah and Demon Tribe seem to serve very similar roles, except to different "entities". Except, if this is the case, it would make some darker implications about Hilda that wouldn't quite fit. I'm still working on theorizing, obviously... I take my time. I heard about the thing in Ravio's journal, about Ravio soliloquizing about Yuga's deception. It's too vague to state at which point he started branching off, though. I mean, there's a chance he was like Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time, where he was scheming the entire time... however, that is contradicted by the fact that he had nothing to scheme over before he knew of another Triforce. I think this just shows that different people respond to divine power differently... Hilda and Yuga... --Or as the Light Spirit Lanayru said back in Twilight Princess, "Those who do not know the danger of wielding power will, before long, be ruled by it..."

But, you also need to remember not every character in Hyrule had a Lorulean counterpart and vice versa. Notably the sages and even the thief girl you rescue from the Thieves' Hideout.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
A better question is, did he intent to betray Hilda from the start, or only after he merged with ganon? I suppose Ravio's diary sayed he doesn't trust him. But what was Yuga's real intentions? And after all he ended up saving his home. So was he really wrong in everything he did?

No, Yuga isn't necessarily Ganon's "counterpart", he lived centuries after Ganondorf's birth, he was never stated to be ancient in any way in ALBW, so I assume he's a different person.

Also mind you, that Ganon was sealed away, where as in the same war in Lorule that would have lead to imprisoning his counter part, the triforce was instead destroyed. Yuga can still be a counterpart of this parallel reality as a reincarnation of what would have been ganon in Hyrule, which was impossible in Hyrule because he wasn't truely dead, but still possible in Lorule.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
A better question is, did he intent to betray Hilda from the start, or only after he merged with ganon? I suppose Ravio's diary sayed he doesn't trust him. But what was Yuga's real intentions? And after all he ended up saving his home. So was he really wrong in everything he did?
It's totally possible that he had evil intentions from the start but his actions accidentally saved Lorule. ;)

Also mind you, that Ganon was sealed away, where as in the same war in Lorule that would have lead to imprisoning his counter part, the triforce was instead destroyed. Yuga can still be a counterpart of this parallel reality as a reincarnation of what would have been ganon in Hyrule, which was impossible in Hyrule because he wasn't truely dead, but still possible in Lorule.
Yeah but, you're saying it's "possible" that he's a reincarnation of Ganon's hypothetical counterpart in Lorule's old war. It's also possible he isn't and he's just his own person.

Other than Hylia, we never had that many reincarnations in the series, have we? So we don't know if reincarnations are even that common.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I honestly started thinking he was... eh, this is hard to word... Like, Impa's counterpart... almost. But... Judging by Yuga's dress, (like how Zelda and Hilda resemble each other in more ways than one), he and Impa do dress somewhat alike... He was probably initially some sort of attendant to Hilda as Impa is to Zelda. I mean, he obviously worked for her, and I don't know what his intentions were before the realization of another Triforce's existence. All I know is that he and Hilda processed the information differently and therefore their plan of action diverged.

But, I still want to think he is some sort of Lorulean equivalent to Impa gone totally sour. I had a screenshot-fest during the ending cutscene of the game, so I have good reference for quotes... when Hilda shows Link and Zelda the Lorule Sacred Realm, she says: "Yuga discovered that there was a strange crack in this grim slate... Through it, we could sense that there was another world beyond ours... a place where the Triforce still existed. He and I devised the scheme that imperiled your kingdom. But I alone will set this right." She deliberately included both of them at the start, when they were in on it together. Yuga was involved in an investigation that would essentially save Lorule (whether he expected that or not). Hilda had to have been aware that he went into the Sacred Realm--that he did not break in like Ganon. Her dialogue would have been different if he had done such a deed.

This notion has also allowed for me to ponder about whether or not he actually is of the Demon Tribe or not. I mean, back in Skyward Sword, if you think about it, the Sheikah and Demon Tribe seem to serve very similar roles, except to different "entities". Except, if this is the case, it would make some darker implications about Hilda that wouldn't quite fit. I'm still working on theorizing, obviously... I take my time. I heard about the thing in Ravio's journal, about Ravio soliloquizing about Yuga's deception. It's too vague to state at which point he started branching off, though. I mean, there's a chance he was like Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time, where he was scheming the entire time... however, that is contradicted by the fact that he had nothing to scheme over before he knew of another Triforce. I think this just shows that different people respond to divine power differently... Hilda and Yuga... --Or as the Light Spirit Lanayru said back in Twilight Princess, "Those who do not know the danger of wielding power will, before long, be ruled by it..."

But, you also need to remember not every character in Hyrule had a Lorulean counterpart and vice versa. Notably the sages and even the thief girl you rescue from the Thieves' Hideout.

I used to believe a similar theory. However, there is one problem with this, Yuga is male!

Um, did Ravio's diary specifically say that he was referring to Yuga "He's just a leech.". When he said that, he could be referring to anyone who is evil. Plus, I don't think Yuga is the one responsible for Hilda's sudden betrayal since she was using him because of his painting ability. Plus to mention, Yuga might of been imprisoned at time. Remember that Yuga didn't start wreaking havoc upon Hyrule until the night before the day of Ravio's leave which occurs after Ravio's second to last day in Lorule, which means, Yuga was released into Hyrule on Ravio's last day in Lorule after Yuga revealed to Hilda of Hyrule's existence possibly 1, 2, 3 or more days before, Hilda just didn't trust him about it at first until someone who is possibly related to Ravio, only except, this someone is evil managed to convince Hilda otherwise. This someone could have been in the appearance of someone who was passable as someone trustworthy to Hilda as where Yuga doesn't by any means look or even pass as trustworthy.

I think if Yuga were anyone's counterpart it would be the captain Yuga "portraited" at the beginning of the game. As far as both Yuga's gender and his overall significance go, it's all right there in the name if you reverse it. He's just A GUY.

Salem

SICK
I think if Yuga were anyone's counterpart it would be the captain Yuga "portraited" at the beginning of the game. As far as both Yuga's gender and his overall significance go, it's all right there in the name if you reverse it. He's just A GUY.
You know what? I'm willing to accept that better than being Ganon's counterpart. Good job. :yes:

Actually, I like this! They actually bear some similarities despite Yuga's disgust, too...

EDIT:
As good as this is, I found a problem with it...Lorule already has a captain:
5v43w.jpg

And since I'm editing this...
Another supporting notion is that their names stick out like so:

YUGA: 4 letters, ends in an 'A', starts with "YU" (or "You"?)
IMPA: 4 letters, ends in an 'A', starts with "IM" (like "I'm"?)
Holy shiitake, you're blowing my nose!

Last edited:

Well, I'd argue that we don't know this for sure. Thief Girl DID have an opposite gender counterpart. If you notice, the thief from Hyrule who steals the scale has the exact same face (at least, in my opinion) with hair in their face as well (dem noses *shudders*). If I'm right, though, that helps your case against the argument that Yuga is male and Impa is female.

Personally, I think we don't have enough info to determine this. Ganon's Lorule counterpart would theoretically be good, so it's hard for me to accept that Yuga would be Ganon's counterpart (even though it's possible, Ravio was a good guy, after all). I just mean on the basic concept of counterparts, it's hard to get past, which is why I enjoy your theory over the Ganon/Yuga concept.

Another supporting notion is that their names stick out like so:

YUGA: 4 letters, ends in an 'A', starts with "YU" (or "You"?)
IMPA: 4 letters, ends in an 'A', starts with "IM" (like "I'm"?)

Idk, I feel like I'm reaching a bit but I think you're onto something.

I think the sages don't have counterparts because, since there is no triforce, there is no need for sages. While the individual people may have some counterpart never shown, they most likely aren't important.

I feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities. Imagine a "Reverse Rebirth" bonus game where Ravio is actually our idea of "dark Link", and you spend the game essentially being the bad guy in Hyrule.

Gah! I totally forgot about that Captain in the milk bar.

I'm leaning toward Yuga being Ganon's counterpart at this point.

The way Ravio is suspicious of the way that Yuga is cozying up to Hilda is exactly the way Zelda was suspicious of Ganondorf cozying up to the King in Ocarina of Time. The situation is not entirely different than Aghanim's role in A Link to the Past, either. So I think all three of those situations really harmonize quite well, especially considering that all three end up wielding the Triforce of Power in the Ganon role. It could be argued that Ganondorf was still himself, Aghanim was his puppet and Yuga was a distinct character that just wielded the same force. I disagree with that, however. Why would Yuga become a pig like Ganon unless Ganon was in there somewhere? (Besides the obvious irony of someone obsessed with beauty becoming a pig.)

Since Lorule was without a Triforce their Ganondorf wouldn't have become immortal like Hyrule's and therefore would have kept reincarnating. In Hyrule this doesn't happen because Ganon didn't die until ALttP. Perhaps if Ganondorf had never gotten the Triforce of Power then Hyrule would have had a Yuga counterpart, too. The fact that his portrait ability is lifted straight from the Ganondorf battle in OoT's Forest Temple is another argument in favor of this. Ganondorf was never obsessed with beauty, but then again it's always opposite day in Lorule.

I doubt we'll ever see a follow-up to the situation in Lorule, but I think eventually Yuga will reincarnate and seize the new Triforce spliting it into three and so on.

On a side note, is it ever explained why the Triforce of Power was with Ganon when they raised him? As far as I remember it went back to complete the whole Triforce in ALttP. There may have been something mentioned about it when Twinrova resurrected zombie-Ganon in Ages/Seasons but I'm a bit fuzzy on those games.

The way Ravio is suspicious of the way that Yuga is cozying up to Hilda is exactly the way Zelda was suspicious of Ganondorf cozying up to the King in Ocarina of Time.
My initial thoughts, too. But I started thinking about the whole deal with how Ravio was portrayed as not having much courage in contrast to Link. Then perhaps this was pointing moreso toward the fact that Zelda in Ocarina of Time could sense that Ganondorf had ulterior motives... and she had wisdom. Perhaps as Zelda's counterpart, Hilda is inevitably foolish as the Princess of Lorule. Even so, Hilda refers to Hyrule's triforce as "[a] Triforce based on such virtues as Power, Wisdom, and Courage" the implication being that Lorule's Triforce is based on other virtues. Only problem I can see with this is that as a sacred relic, the virtues should not be so negative. Literally spells out that Lorule was destined to suffer catastrophe, though the aspect of foolishness might connect back to the actions that Hilda's ancestors took by destroying the Triforce.

I'm getting a little off-topic, but all of this is still kind of relevant, I guess. What I'm trying to say is, if Ravio's diary entry is complaining about Hilda's inability to recognize Yuga's scheme, it might reveal that whoever Ganondorf's counterpart is might actually be portrayed as somewhat... weak. Inversely... strong in spirit, weak in strength. Yuga doesn't necessarily fit this. Some could argue he's pretty strong-spirited, though.

Why would Yuga become a pig like Ganon unless Ganon was in there somewhere?
Because he...fused...with him? What I don't get, though (I intend to get this cleared up a little more when I do my Hero Mode run), is that if all Yuga really needed from Ganon--the whole reason for him to revive him in the first place--was the get the Triforce of Power out of his possession... then why did he fuse with him? He didn't have to, did he? The only thing I can think is that--whether or not Ganon freely gave it up or it was taken from him (can be argued either way, I guess)--after Yuga takes the Triforce of Power, I think it looked pretty evident by the "expression" on Ganon's face that he would turn on Yuga (cough cough like Agahnim and Zant and anyone else). Maybe Yuga realized this and to prevent such action, he eliminated that possibility by taking control of Ganon.

I doubt we'll ever see a follow-up to the situation in Lorule, but I think eventually Yuga will reincarnate and seize the new Triforce spliting it into three and so on.
If he were Ganondorf's counterpart, then he would likely have a "balanced" heart and it would not split. Which doesn't equate to Yuga... at all.

On a side note, is it ever explained why the Triforce of Power was with Ganon when they raised him? As far as I remember it went back to complete the whole Triforce in ALttP.
This inconsistency irritates me as well. 'S gonna take a fair amount of speculation and background evidence to come up with even a somewhat reasonable explanation for this--either on theorists' behalf or Nintendo's.

---
And while I'm at it...
I used to believe a similar theory. However, there is one problem with this, Yuga is male!=
I'm going to bring this back up, because I realize the Ghirahim/Fi example was pretty bad...When I was playing today I found the perfect in-game evidence that counterparts don't have to be the same gender. Here, check it:
5wlU8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom