• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could the Link We See in Skyward Sword Be the Original Hero of Time?

I realize that there is really not much evidence to support this theory, perhaps I'm just hyped because I'm replaying OoT and just had the talk w. Rauru and Sheik. Both of them mention a previous Hero of Time before Link, Sheik even tells Link he looks just like the "real Hero of Time". The Master Sword is also said by both of them, and hinted at by Navi, to have been used by the Hero of Time. Anyways, we know from Wind Waker that the ancient sages were the ones who helped forge the Master Sword, and we also know that SS will revolve around the very creation of the Master Sword. A little idea I've had is perhaps, Link needs to find the sages in SS to help forge the Master Sword and save Hyrule. Rauru and Sheik tell OoT Link that in order to be the true Hero of Time, he too would need to find all the sages, just like the original Hero of Time did. And then there's the fact that a Hero finding the sages in the different temples throughout Hyrule is indeed a Shiekah legend as stated by Sheik, and we do see a mysterious Sheikah-looking girl I'm sure you've all seen in the trailer, that perhaps helps Link find these different sages, or could even be a sage herself? I'm sorry if this is confusing but it's just a small idea I thought I'd share, what are your thoughts on what hero SS Link could be? Could he be the original Hero of Time? Will he need to go searching for different sages? Share your thoughts!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's exactly what I proposed, it was either May of this year or May of last year. People say the Hero of Time is just a prophecy during OoT, I believe it to be a legend which has happened and is thus 'prophesied' to happen again. The thing is, SS takes so far back from OoT that the HoT would be a mere legend. Also of note, is how did the Ocarina of Time gain its legendary status? Surely the Link of SS, or maybe one of a later generation, plays a part in that and is *the* Hero of Time?

zelda_skyward_sword_siren_02.jpg

Some figures in the Silent Realm do look reminiscent of the Ancient Sages of TP; I do not have the picture but they are in the thread about SS screen gallery. I don't think it is too farfetched to believe, though, that SS Link will play some part in at the very least learning about sages and the likes. Zelda seems to be shaping up for that role now that I think about it.

Last edited:

vcdomith

Mad Artist
That's exactly what I proposed, it was either May of this year or May of last year. People say the Hero of Time is just a prophecy during OoT, I believe it to be a legend which has happened and is thus 'prophesied' to happen again. The thing is, SS takes so far back from OoT that the HoT would be a mere legend. Also of note, is how did the Ocarina of Time gain its legendary status? Surely the Link of SS, or maybe one of a later generation, plays a part in that and is *the* Hero of Time?

zelda_skyward_sword_siren_02.jpg

Some figures in the Silent Realm do look reminiscent of the Ancient Sages of TP; I do not have the picture but they are in the thread about SS screen gallery. I don't think it is too farfetched to believe, though, that SS Link will play some part in at the very least learning about sages and the likes. Zelda seems to be shaping up for that role now that I think about it.
For some reason this guardian remind of Rauru, that looks pretty uncertain but it's only my thoughts...

Sorry I didn't mean to steal your idea or anything! But I'm glad someone else understands that there was indeed an original Hero of Time, before the OoT one. I feel the whole Ocarina backstory will be revealed someday, whether it's in SS idk, but I'm sure SS will leave room for and/or hint at a future game that does indeed give us the story of the Ocarina of Time, why it's so important, where it came from, etc.

Djinn

and Tonic
If anything I would have considered SS Link another Hero of Winds, not so much Time. In fact I cannot see just how Time really comes into this story at all since we are fairly certain that there is no Ocarina of time, possibly not a song of time yet, and we do not know about the Door of Time or Pedestal of Time. however I would down their appearing in this game since this is more about the creation of the master sword, a resting place for it would have to come later. Based on Rauru's statements in OoT the title Hero of Time seems to be connected with the Master Sword and the Sages

The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch
Only one worthy of the title of "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time

And now that you are old enough, the time has come for you to awaken as the Hero of Time! Well, do you understand your destiny?

I, Rauru, am one of the Sages... And... Your power to fight together with the Sages makes you the Hero of Time!

The Hero of Time, chosen by the Master Sword! Keep my spirit with you... And, find the power of the other Sages and add their might to your own!

I never saw anything that would lead me to think that there was a previous hero that would be another hero of time. Normally each Link has a separate title the few times they are actually given titles. There was a Hero of Men in MC and Hero of Winds in WW. After that Nintendo just started saying Hero chosen by the Gods, and focused a little more on the chosen or prophesied aspect. So I have no doubt that they will again say that Link in SS is the chosen by the gods and the true hero, but I really do not think that he would be another Hero of Time. That role has already been filled in another game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I thought of this at one point (about a year ago, actually), but I grew out of it for one reason. The tales of the Hero of Time were simply prophecies. It was never said that an original Hero of Time did anything. It was just said that Link was to become the Hero of Time. Sheik saying that Link looked like the Hero of Time (which is what he actually said) could easily mean that he knew what the Hero would look like. He also spoke of a legend as if it hadn't happened yet. Rauru talked to him as if he knew his entire destiny (which he did). But the biggest thing was that Keapora Gaebora said that even he thought the tales of a boy who could travel back-and-forth across time were a mere legend. Tales of a boy. Traveling back-and-forth across time. That's clearly talking about OoT Link. Link in SS won't be the Hero of Time. In fact, there's really no way he could be. The Master Sword doesn't exist yet, and therefore the Temple of Time can't. A valid theory, but a misguided one.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But the biggest thing was that Keapora Gaebora said that even he thought the tales of a boy who could travel back-and-forth across time were a mere legend. Tales of a boy. The Master Sword doesn't exist yet, and therefore the Temple of Time can't.
Boy doesn't mean child, it means "not yet a man"assuming the nomenclature of the time isn't as 'modernized' as one believes it to. Link in SS easily fits that role of 'not yet a man', at least in comparison to TP Link. I doubt SS Link will be traveling through time, because the theme of Skyward Sword is obviously the Sky, but perhaps a story involving the same SS Link but not told in game could be true. The Master Sword not existing yet at the time of SS has no bearing on OoT – OoT is clearly in the future, and any number of events could've transpired between Skyward and Ocarina. Same goes for the Temple of Time. Those events may not be depicted in game, but who's to say they haven't happened within the lifespan of SS Link besides Nintendo (with some confirmation and/or another game that deals with the theoretical 'first' Hero of Time)?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I don't think this will happen. Link will probably have to go searching for fragments of an artifact that will unlock the place where Zelda is ultimately being kept in. It would be neat to see the original Sages, though.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Boy doesn't mean child, it means "not yet a man"assuming the nomenclature of the time isn't as 'modernized' as one believes it to. Link in SS easily fits that role of 'not yet a man', at least in comparison to TP Link. I doubt SS Link will be traveling through time, because the theme of Skyward Sword is obviously the Sky, but perhaps a story involving the same SS Link but not told in game could be true. The Master Sword not existing yet at the time of SS has no bearing on OoT – OoT is clearly in the future, and any number of events could've transpired between Skyward and Ocarina. Same goes for the Temple of Time. Those events may not be depicted in game, but who's to say they haven't happened within the lifespan of SS Link besides Nintendo (with some confirmation and/or another game that deals with the theoretical 'first' Hero of Time)?

Yeah, I understand the thing with the term "boy," but it's more about the situation. Link was traveling back-and-forth across time that entire game, and KG was an aid to him. That would be one mighty big coincidence.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I've pulled every quote regarding the Hero of Time from this text dump:

Sheik said:
I've been waiting for you,
Hero of Time...

When evil rules all, an awakening
voice from the Sacred Realm will
call those destined to be Sages,
who dwell in the five temples.
One in a deep forest...
One on a high mountain...
One under a vast lake...
One within the house of the dead...
One inside a goddess of the sand...
Together with the Hero of Time,
the awakened ones will bind the
evil and return the light of peace
to the world...
This is the legend of the temples
passed down by my people, the
Sheikah.
This is the actual prophecy. She calls it a "legend," but the entire story is in future tense, and she's using it as an explanation of what Link must do next. This is solely about what Link is, what he must do, and the fact that the Sheikah have known about these two things for a while. There is no mention or implication of anyone else fulfilling this prophecy beforehand. Use Occam's razor please.

Sheik said:
As I see you standing there
holding the mythical Master
Sword, you really do look like the
legendary Hero of Time...

If you believe the legend, you
have no choice. You must look for
the five temples and awaken the
five Sages....
"real" does not appear in this quote (except in "really"). Please be careful with your quotations marks. "If you believe the legend, you have no choice" only makes sense if, as I said with the previous quote, the "legend" is actually a prophecy. A "traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated" wouldn't require any action. A prophecy would.

Rauru said:
The Master Sword is a sacred
blade which evil ones may never
touch....
Only one worthy of the title of
"Hero of Time" can pull it from
the Pedestal of Time....
However, you were too young to
be the Hero of Time....
Therefore, your spirit was
sealed here for seven years.
And now that you are old enough,
the time has come for you to
awaken as the Hero of Time!
Well, do you understand your
destiny?
Rauru adds an additional requirement to the prophecy: The MS can only be drawn from the PoT by the HoT. SS-Link used the MS before it was placed in the PoT, so this prophecy doesn't apply to him. There are several reasonable explanations for future Links being able to pull the MS from the PoT which I won't get into at this time. Link was too young to be the HoT simply because he couldn't wield the MS effectively as a child. It was designed with someone SS-Link's age in mind.

Of additional importance, Rauru cites Link's "Destiny." A telling of one's destiny is none other than a prophecy. There's no requirement for the actions of another to set a precedent for one's destiny.

Rauru said:
I, Rauru, am one of the Sages...
And...
Your power to fight together with
the Sages makes you the
Hero of Time!
The Hero of Time, chosen by the
Master Sword!
Keep my spirit with you...
And, find the power of the other
Sages and add their might to your
own!
Here, he's stating that Link is fulfilling the prophecy, or destiny which he and Sheik described. (awakens the sages, pulls the MS out of the PoT)

Link, the Hero of Time...
You have overcome many
hardships and awakened six Sages.
And now you have a final
challenge, a showdown with
Ganondorf, the King of Evil....
Again, reflecting on Link's progress through the stated prophecy. (awakens the sages, binding the evil)

The Ocarina of Time opened the
door. The Hero of Time, with the
Master Sword, descended here.
This refers to OoT Link, combining the prophecy of the HoT with those surrounding the DoT. Nothing of interest here, or with the last one

Kid...
No...
Link, the Hero of Time!
Instead of keeping the promise I
made back then, I give you this
Medallion!
Take it!

Keeping Occam's Razor in mind, is there really any way or reason to stretch what they say to mean something more complex?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom