• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could Skyward Sword ever work with analogue control?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I think it could be done with a bit of coding. Most of the involvement of motion controls in the game were just a gimmicky "ooh, look if you swing your remote this way, the sword goes that way too!" it didn't have to be in the game. A simple bit of coding to have Link use the appropriate slash for the situation based on which direction you point one of the sticks/circle pads would accomplish exactly the same thing as motion controls. That's all motion controls are, they deal with rotation. The information that the game uses for those slashes are two things: one, sensing that it's being moved, and two, a pair of numbers that represent its orientation in degrees on two planes, giving a three dimensional orientation. For the first, you just need sword button. For the numbers, well you don't need two directions in that case because the other can be automatic based on what is necessary for the first, or can be done with the second stick. It'd be the same directional slashing that was in OoT, MM, TWW, and TP.

I know go technical, but the bottom line is, yes, it's absolutely possible since all motion controls are, are button mapping of traditional controls. So it is simple to reverse it.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence was a game that allowed you to slow down time and use the right analogue stick to slice in any direction desired. All they have to do is emulate that.

That's the thing. I don't think anyone's denying the plausibility of being able to code it into working. It's more that would it feel like you were playing the same game? Would it be the same experience?

To make an extreme analogy....Would puzzle pirates be the same game if it were converted into an FPS interface? Probably not.

It's easy for things like Twilight Princess, because Twilight Princess never really felt like it was anything other than a "controller" game even with the Wiimote. I could say the same for the Tales of Symphonia sequel. But with Skyward Sword, you're actually putting your body into it.

Either way, as long as Nintendo home consoles keep supporting Bluetooth, there should be no issue maintaining the existing controller setup. Heck, a re-release could even include the controller, just like the original did. So while the OP may be asking whether the game *can* be moved to analog controllers, I ask "does it need to?" The answer is no.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
That's the thing. I don't think anyone's denying the plausibility of being able to code it into working. It's more that would it feel like you were playing the same game? Would it be the same experience?

It wouldn't be the same experience, it'd be a better one because the controls won't be as wonky and you don't have to be as careful. I imagine you move the right stick to the upper-left of the center, then Link would raise the sword to mirror that position. Once you release the stick so that it returns to it's center position, then Link performs the strike. Or, if you push the stick from one side to the other, then Link would perform a strike, then hold the sword in the same position that you're holding the right stick in.

I think that'd be pretty fun. I didn't mind the motion controls in SS, but others did. Using this alternative method for control would be great to give players a new way to experience the game. And I bet it would be much better received than the original controls.

Combat would be easy. Dual stick. Left to move Link. Right to set the direction of his slash. The extra buttons a standard controller has that the wiistick and nunchuck does not have deals with usable items in combat.
That's the thing. I don't think anyone's denying the plausibility of being able to code it into working. It's more that would it feel like you were playing the same game? Would it be the same experience?.
Not at all. It'd be a huge improvement. The SS motion controls felt great when they worked. That's the catch, they just failed at the wrong times. Especially on that mine cart minigame. Also often failing in combat.

As for both posts which said roughly the same thing... I realize you feel it'd be an improvement. There's also plenty who'd say no. So I'll leave it at that.

I've actually been replaying it lately. As far as motion controls go? Better than I remember.

I suppose it's the same for a lot of people in Splatoon. The motion controls really give you an edge in a mouse-and-keyboard sense, but some folks let it distract them. Just remember to keep hitting the refresh button every time you're holding it in a neutral position and you'll be fine.

So.. if they were to remake SS, the biggest thing they should work on, is the motion controls, and make it to where it will work at least 98% of the time. Right?

So.. if they were to remake SS, the biggest thing they should work on, is the motion controls, and make it to where it will work at least 98% of the time. Right?

Getting rid of the stamina meter and remapping unnecessary MC actions to the buttons and analogue stick. Things like swimming, the beetle, flying, tight rope walking, putting in the stupid damn, key and looking around in FPV feel much more intuitive that way.

Actually let's make the boss key automatic again shall we? It seriously hurts my wrists trying to twist it in.

Getting rid of the stamina meter and remapping unnecessary MC actions to the buttons and analogue stick. Things like swimming, the beetle, flying, tight rope walking, putting in the stupid damn, key and looking around in FPV feel much more intuitive that way.

Actually let's make the boss key automatic again shall we? It seriously hurts my wrists trying to twist it in.

I agree with the swimming and beetle, not flying, I liked flying, just make the bird faster.

I liked the fact that the key was a puzzle, but yeah, make it analogue based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom