• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help Could Random Encounters Stand to Be Improved?

I posted a similar thread a few days ago, but that was more of a poll focusing on one extreme or the other. I believe what I said was rather misinterpreted there and thus have decided to rephrase it into a different form.

My question this time: how would you improve random encounters with wild Pokemon? (Remember, if anything is annoying about it without reward, it could be improved.) I've written up an entire two-piece article about this on my blog, so I won't post my full opinions on this thread.

The link to Part 1, which focuses on why random encounters should be improved in the first place, is here.

The link to Part 2, which offers suggestions for how random encounters could be improved, is here.

Based on these new points, do you think random encounters could stand a little shaping up, or have they reached a flawless form?

My question this time: how would you improve random encounters with wild Pokemon?

I wouldn't change anything, I have no problem with random encounters; I think the way it's done now is very good. It seems Pokémon X & Y have maintained the classic way of encountering Pokémon, so this assumes Game Freak have no problem with random encounters either. Alas Pokémon X & Y is still in it's early stages and what we saw wasn't absolute, so We may see some slight change, but I'm not to confident about that.

I wouldn't change anything, I have no problem with random encounters; I think the way it's done now is very good. It seems Pokémon X & Y have maintained the classic way of encountering Pokémon, so this assumes Game Freak have no problem with random encounters either. Alas Pokémon X & Y is still in it's early stages and what we saw wasn't absolute, so We may see some slight change, but I'm not to confident about that.

I guess it really is just me, then....

Maybe it's time for me to wave the white flag, but I still have to ask: you don't think wild Pokemon encounters could be improved at all? Nothing to make Pokemon more immersing, nothing new? Wild Pokemon encounters are at an absolutely flawless form? I still see absolutely no ill side-effects from providing the option to turn random encounters off (as I wrote in my article), but there's a fair bit to gain. I suppose I'll have to keep resigning myself to buying twenty or thirty Max Repels every hour or so of play time in my Pokemon games, but I still think most people aren't bothering to think outside the box, which is perhaps why Pokemon hasn't grown significantly since its inception.

It feels like offering an automatic super guide o just turn things off.

I for one, dont really find random encounters annoying.

As for your ideas to make it better, aside from simply turning it off, they all seem like they would make oher aspects, such as catching Pokemon, more tedious.

It feels like offering an automatic super guide o just turn things off.

I for one, dont really find random encounters annoying.

As for your ideas to make it better, aside from simply turning it off, they all seem like they would make oher aspects, such as catching Pokemon, more tedious.

Well, I'm glad you're at least arguing the points back at me.

My suggestions in the article were, as previously noted, "starting points," meaning a bit of discussion and brainstorming should patch them up. You're right, some of my ideas (left alone) could make things problematic in the long run, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for Game Freak to experiment with a few side-games and see if open world exploration could work in Pokemon.

The only thing I really ask for is the ability to travel conveniently. Whether that involves always creating safe paths beside the tall grass or providing the option to turn random encounters off, I care not. I just want to travel through long-defeated stretches of the road in peace when it's clear a Level 8 Pidgey holds no interest to me or my Level 50 Charizard. And I don't believe I should be spending time and in-game money to do it when the solution is so simple, easy, and good for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom