• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could MM Be in the Wrong Timeline?

Now we all know that Nintendo released their "official" Zelda time line in HH stateing that MM takes place in the Child time line and revealing a 3rd timeline known as the failure ( or defeated) time line were link Dies somewhere during OOT. now seance then we wonder what did happen to link and how he did die.
Recently a youtube game theorist know as mat pat released a video about a theory that MM is actuly about link in the afterlife ( see vid at the bottom of the post.)
so this makes me wonder that perhaps Nintendo is wrong and MM actually belongs in the defeated time line Not in the Child timeline.

This would make sense because if link did die in the child time line then TP link could not possibly be a decedent to OOT link. if hero's shades is truly OOT link why does he appear as an adult and not a child? Link who was sent back could had grown up as normal, got married then died some times after the events of OOT. so the new timeline would be.

ADULT TIME LINE= WW,PH and Spirit tracks
CHILD= TT and FSA
DEFEATED= MM, ALTTP, ALBW,OS,LW,LOZ and AOL

And lets think about this, the upcoming game A link between worlds, lowrule is theorized to be termina, could this be a hint that link could be between life and death also? ( limbo) so what do you think, if this theory is true could MM be in the wrong time line despite HH listing it in the child time line.

[video=youtube_share;7S1SVkysIRw]http://youtu.be/7S1SVkysIRw[/video]

Last edited:
Dunno anything about "Link Between Worlds", but could Lorule REALLY be Termina? I kind of hope not.... Because a handheld game that's a sequel to ALttP was not how I imagined MM making a comeback, and I would probably be disappointed.

I find this argument to be very unconvincing.... Because MM is a direct sequel to OoT. Which brings A LOT of implications with it. First and foremost is that Link is still in possession of the Ocarina of Time in MM, having a very clear flashback to when Zelda gave him ownership. This is obviously following the events in the child timeline, where Link warned everyone of Ganondorf's treachery, and was rewarded with the Ocarina of Time by Zelda, who sends him off with her blessing. Secondly is Navi, who is HEAVILY implied to be the one that Link is in the Lost Woods searching for. Link seems very aware that Navi left after his quest was over, and sought to find her again.

It wouldn't make sense for Link to have possession of the Ocarina of Time, recall a flashback with Zelda post-OoT, and be looking for Navi in a world where he just died. Also, MM starts in Hyrule... So there's not much water to a "Link dreamed the whole thing up" argument, as he hadn't entered Termina at the beginning of OoT.

Also, it's incredibly unlikely that Nintendo's timeline is wrong. Sure, other games in the series leave much to be desired when it comes to placement.... But not the 3D games. Those have always been very clear when it comes to where they belong on the timeline. The whole things seems like fanfiction/creepypasta to me.

Z

Zander

No, Majora's Mask is the Success timeline. It's after Link goes into the future and defeats Ganon. Then gets sent back and warns Hyrule of Ganon.

I believe the defeat timeline would best fit between when Link pulls out the Master Sword and we see him with the sage. Essentially, he pulls out the sword and continues on with no interruption and loses to Ganon. The sages then go back in time to create the magic around the sword for Link to time travel forward(but this doesn't affect their own timeline).

So the first split was the sages making Link time travel. Then the second split was Zelda sending Link back in time.

But that's only piecing it together the best possible way I can think of when really it was never meant to be pieced together.
---
I never played Majora's Mask, but it does seem to point specifically to Link's death right at the start. The masked kid changing from some harmless child to what would be the equivalent of a demon after Link fell? And the masked salesman's question "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" After all, he seems so much like a god in MM; he owned Majora's mask... Which had the power to create a face in the moon and crash it into 'Termina'.

The Links are also not descendants of each other. They're random people being the hero. And since the stalfos was a spirit, it didn't matter whether it took an adult or child form. If TP actually linked them together that way, it still fits well because the spirit didn't like the way he died; sounds much like he came to an unexpected fall, don't you think? :)

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Link departs on his journey in Majora's Mask AFTER he has saved Hyrule from Ganondorf. Zelda sends him back to his childhood after he has defeated Ganondorf by playing the song of time in the credits. Link then finds himself chasing the skull kid and accidently comes into Termina. So, it's onlogical to say the events of OoT happen later or Link is dead.

I think MM is one the few Zelda games with a Link that is the same one as in other games. The Link in MM and OoT are the same one. I thought each Zelda game respresents a different time. A new Link is born and chosen to become the next hero.

I highly doubt that MM is in the wrong timeline and I doubt link is dead in MM as the HH would say so if he was, I also doubt that Termina is Lorule, if anything Termina might be a land in the same world as Lorule but not Lorule its self.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think the Link is dead theory is a really interesting one. I think the placement of MM is very debatable depending on how you view it's placement. But considering that it's supposed to be after Link saves Hyrule in OoT and Zelda sends him back in time to live a normal childhood, if you follow the story of Majora's Mask from then it makes sense. It's a couple of years after OoT, he goes looking for Navi and somehow gets into an alternate dimension AKA Termina. However, my thoughts then tend to go along the lines of what happens in TP. Link is Hylian in OoT, and if you wander the forests without a fairy guardian as an adult you turn into a Stalfos. Maybe MM is the process of that, but how Link sees it in his head? Like, all those mask transformations are a horrific nightmare he goes through to come to terms with the transformation. Maybe he never got over not being a Kokiri? Also, considering the Hero's Shade in TP, I think it would have made sense not to mention have been way more interesting if Twilight Princess was a defeat from MM. Like, if Link failed to save Termina he would become the Stalfos form the Hero's Shade takes in TP. If he saves Termina, things could've continued into the events of The Wind Waker. Obviously the HH ruined all these possibilities but it's still fun to discuss them- and the possibility of an alternative timeline split from MM instead of OoT and how that would affect the rest of the timelines.

Anyway, despite this leading into a very interesting discussion I have to concur that MM was not placed wrong. ALBW follows ALttP. I don't think Lorule has any relation to Termina because presumably you wouldn't have to change the names.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
1.that was JUST a theory.....no one say anything
2.the downfall time happens b/c the events of ocarina weren't completed,which wouldn't make sense for putting majoras mask there b/c all of ocarina of time is canon at that point
3.this theory is nothing new,are you really only bringing this up just b/c matpat made the video?

3.this theory is nothing new,are you really only bringing this up just b/c matpat made the video?
im bringing it up because i wanted to explore more possibilities in the Zelda lore and timeline. theories are shot because people take HH way to seriously and most people refuse to step out of the boundaries of HH, after all Nintendo makes no mistakes ( sarcasm). plus i thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a dick. I promise. But how could Nintendo be wrong about their own series...?

Anyhow, as previously mentioned, this theory is nothing new; however, I admit it is one of the more interesting ones to discuss and create "what if" scenarios about.

This is an interesting theory and if it had more solid ground to stand on it would make great discussion material, and although I find little that's even moderately pluasible, I like the creativity of your theory but it just doesn't have the enough evidence to support it, and too much evidence against it.

I hope I didn't come off as harsh, if so I apologize.

Here is what you overlooked though. The defeated timeline assumes ganon was never sealed. Any amount of time could have passed between oot and MM meaning the events in oot are done and isolated meaning anything after those events in other words, whatever happens post ganons sealing is in a timeline by itself. And is not the creation of a new timeline.

Also do not take the word son to literally. It doesnt mean direct son it just means successor in a way. 'Link my boy!' But link isnt the son of the kind of hyrule.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Also do not take the word son to literally. It doesnt mean direct son it just means successor in a way. 'Link my boy!' But link isnt the son of the kind of hyrule.

this is what i hate about people who interpret it that way
i mean when i first read that line,i took it as he was talking to link as his pupil,no family relations or any of that came to mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom