• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could Anyone Save Sonic?

Sonic the Hedgehog was one of those few characters that never made the successful jump to 3D. None of his games have reached the heady heights of Mario or Zelda and none of his 3d games have been what i'd consider to be good.

So, how could sonic be saved, who could possibly help him have that pinnacle 3D game we all want him to be capable of.
While Sonic Colours wasn't that bad it still suffered most of the problems that the other games before it in the sonic 3D pantheon did, and it is better in 2D much like Generations on the 3DS where the 'Modern Sonic' levels are 2D as are the 'Classic Sonic' levels..

The question: which developer outside of Sega could possible help sonic achieve true 3D greatness and what do you think they'd do?
How about Retro Studios? (As unlikely as that is)
Square-Enix maybe?

Have fun

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't believe anyone can save Sonic. His time has come to retire, outside of cameo appearances such as in the Super Smash Bros. series. SEGA and Sonic Team have tried time and time again to revive the blue blur, only to make some questionable design/time management actions and ultimately released what were deemed as unfinished titles.

If I didn't have my beliefs about the Hedgehog already, I'd prefer SEGA just hand him off to Square-Enix and let them do as they please. SE has made nice JRPGs, ARPGs and a few other kinds of titles. I don't recall much if any of SE's platformers, but they'd most likely do better than SEGA is doing at the moment.

I honestly think Sonic Adventure is a fun game, it's quite glitchy and far from great, but it's enjoyable. I only played a bit of Colours but I was not a fan of the mix of 2d and 3d, I feel like 2d physics with the 3d controls just doesn't work.

I don't think we will ever get a truly great 3d Sonic game, and if we did, it would have to change a lot. It can't be extremely fast, that just leads to an experience that feels more like a roller coaster than a game (aka all current 3d Sonic games). The neat thing about old Sonic games was the multiple paths you could take through the levels, and this change never really made it to 3d. Multiple paths in 3d would require more precision, more room to move around, rather than Sonic moving really fast in one direction and not being able to veer off course. For this precision you would need a slower character, and Sonic without his speed isn't really sonic, but 3d requires a character to be very mobile, which Sonic really isn't, besides being able to run fast Sonic's movement has always been very clunky, especially with jumping or moving slowly.

Overall, no, I don't think Sonic will ever truly work in 3d.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Sonic the Hedgehog was one of those few characters that never made the successful jump to 3D.

OBJECTION! I found Sonic Colors to be a very good game, well-controlled, addictingly speedy, and overall fun. And that's in 3D. Sure, it took a while to get there, but I feel Sonic Colors is a successful 3D Sonic game. I'd like more games like it.

I think Sonic is doomed in this age of gaming no matter who tries to save him, Square would most likely make things worse since they cant even get there own brand right anymore so we would end up with a Sonic RPG thats just walk to point A then B and repeat:P

Sonic started in 2D, he dint start going downhill till they made him 3D, but that dint work then mixed 2D with 3D, that kinda works but still the games are not their best, In my opinion, sonic should go back to his 2D roots and re-invent himself. Players today dont mind a 2D game since their are good 2D games that are on current consoles. if this does not work then ether the players no longer care, or Sega just stopped trying. most likely its Sega who stopped trying...

Who the hell doesn't like A2B? ADX? Ugh, sonic has gone bad past 6-7 years, but if I had a team to do what I tell them to, I could bring sonic back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom