• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Connecting Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Last year's The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword provided an effective origin story for the entire Zelda franchise. The game explained how certain central elements of the series came to be, most prominently the Master Sword and Triforce. It felt only fitting that the Hyrule Historia was released soon afterwards: A book which demystified much Zelda lore and further intertwined the franchise together with the release of the official timeline. Immediately upon release fans began to question the validity of the document and apparent paradoxes present in it. One vague areas was found at its beginning with Skyward Sword followed by the Minish Cap.

FXEl

Observe the image contained in the spoiler tag above. It is the first segment of the Hyrule Historia timeline. Following completion of the ancient battle between Hylia and Demise an era of chaos ensues wherein the Sacred Realm is sealed. Subsequently an era of prosperity sweeps the land. Then enter The Minish Cap. The story revolves around the mysterious Vaati who usurped a hat created by his master in order to transform himself from a mere Picori to a full size Hylian like Wind Sage. Vaati proceeds to win the annual sword fighting tournament at Hyrule Castle and upon opening his prize chest unleashes a torrent of monsters upon the land. What exactly are these creature? Do they have any relation to Demise or Ghirahim from Skyward Sword or are they possible impurities released from the Sacred Realm?

This leads us to examine the mythical introduction of The Minish Cap as well as the trek Link must endure as a result of the havoc Vaati wreaks on the world. Observe the window panel from the introduction of the 2005 GBA game in the spoiler tag below. It is commonly used in bridging the first two titles on the timeline.

vHDR

Present are the two core concepts Skyward Sword revolves around-The Triforce and Master Sword. A brilliant light shines down from the heavens and this complements the text inscription accompanying the image. "A long, long time ago when the world was on the verge of being swallowed by shadow...The tiny Picori appeared from the sky, bringing the hero of men a sword and a golden light". The notion of Skyward Sword Link being a Picori may seem absurd at first but think about it in context. Take Faron Woods for example where the mushrooms are the size of men. There are certain loopholes with this, however, seeing as how Link is roughly the size of a Goron in that game, a race which is never confirmed to be diminished in size in any form throughout the series.

And then there is the journey Link embarks on. In a nutshell it is a quest to retrieve the four elements-fire, earth, wind, and water-and forge the Four Sword from the shattered Picori Blade. This seems vaguely reminiscent of the purification process the Goddess Sword undertook to become the Master Sword throughout the course of Skyward Sword. While the two blades do not resemble each other aesthetically, they both grant astounding power-to banish even the most pure even and create four clones, respectively. Perhaps they were created from the same sacred essence at some point at time? Who's to say that Hylia did not bless the Four Sword somewhere down the line or a reincarnation of Zelda with the powers granted by the Triforce of Wisdom? Progressing slightly lower on the timeline the Wind and Fire elements (click here for visual) bear a striking resemblance to the Kokiri Emerald and Goron Ruby from Ocarina of Time (click here for visual), respectively although neither the Earth nor Water elements mirror the Zora Sapphire.

I find the connection between Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap on the Hyrule Historia timeline to be a confusing one and therefore any input explaining the story gap between the two titles is much appreciated. Thanks for your input in advance.

Link's Shadow48

Shadow Link reborn
The hero of men is mentioned in the prologue, in which you are mentioning, but remember we dont know how many Links there could have been in between SS and Minish Cap.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
GlitterBerri's Game Translations » Pg. 78 The Picori and the Light Force

SS
-
people fight over Triforce
Rauru seals Triforce, constructs ToT on the site of the Sealed Temple
-
Hyrule is founded, castle built next to ToT
Monsters appear (remember, Demise is supposedly the source of all monsters)
Picori appear with Picori Blade & Light Force
Hero of Men seals monsters
Zeldas inherit Light Force power*
-
MC

*It's unclear whether their power comes from Hylia or from the Light Force. Page 77 weakly suggests the former: "In the Royal Family, many people were born with a special power that existed deep within the bloodline and the queen would often be named Zelda after the historical legend." Page 78 states that the events of MC's backstory occur "during the development of the Hyrule Kingdom," and we know from the game's ending that Zelda inherits the Light Force, so that could be the "special power". Are there two powers? It would make loads of sense for the Light Force to be Hylia's equivalent of the Triforce or at least Hylia's life essence, but then it should already be in the bloodline when the Picori bring it down.

If this was in WoZ, I could go on and on about how SS is simply MC realized in 3D. As far as Theory is concerned, this means that there are a lot of overlapping stories that somewhat contradict each other. The timeline itself is simple enough, but when you get down to the details like who the Picori are and where Zelda's power comes from things get shaky.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, SS and MC's connection is very unstable. The Picori and Picori Blade are not even foreshadowed in SS, and there's no way the Picori Blade is the Master Sword. I'm seriously confused as to why Nintendo decided to place MC and FS where they are. Not that it really matters, as the timeline is very unimportant to the series, but, still...

"From then on, the Royal Family would safeguard the blade that sealed the monsters and they enshrined the “Picori Blade” with great care. Then, the whereabouts of the Picori was guarded as a secret within the Royal Family of Hyrule."

found this in the HH.

"During the development of the Hyrule Kingdom, the first big events occurred. Monsters appeared and the world seemed to be lost in darkness. However, it was then that the small Picori came down from the heavens. They came bringing a golden light and a sword and the Hero of Men who used the sword sealed all of the monsters into a chest and returned the world to peace"

I dont know if this was lost in translation but chest is something wear you store your belongings it could mean that SS Link stored the monsters in the "Chest" or sacred realm.

The point I am trying to make is that previously according to the timeline and the HH is that Humans sealed away the monsters not Picori, the picori rely on the royal family and as you know Zelda will one day be queen which means she has "royal family" blood in SS. They are definitely humans in SS.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I dont know if this was lost in translation but chest is something wear you store your belongings it could mean that SS Link stored the monsters in the "Chest" or sacred realm.
The timeline of events make it impossible for SS-Link to be the HoM. The HoM story takes place after Hyrule is founded, which takes place long after the ToT is built, which happens long after SS. The chest is the literal chest in which the PB is lodged and which Vaati opens at the beginning of MC.

The timeline of events make it impossible for SS-Link to be the HoM. The HoM story takes place after Hyrule is founded, which takes place long after the ToT is built, which happens long after SS. The chest is the literal chest in which the PB is lodged and which Vaati opens at the beginning of MC.

I have played MC when it was first released so I really don't remember the story, so I was just going on things I read from the HH, thank you for clarifying this for me. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom